This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennis98pro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted to UNC and Harvard, and am rather conflicted on which one to choose. I intend to specialize upon graduating dental school, and hope to explore academia if possible. With both schools having exceptional programs and unique strengths, I am having trouble choosing one over the other. Money is a factor in the decision, but I am content with spending more at Harvard if it ends up being the best match for me.

I would love to hear the perspective of others in making this difficult decision. Let me know which school you would choose and why. If possible, please share why you chose to attend/not attend either of these schools, and what factors you weighed in your decision-making.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most will say pick UNC because it's cheap. Honestly, in a lot of cases they are correct.

If you wanna be a regular old GP, pick UNC.

If you go to Harvard make sure you get your moneys worth with what resources the school can provide, such as outside networks/dual degrees. At Harvard can you do the PhD lumped together with the dental degree? If you could do that to curb cost that would be ideal.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would select UNC, Harvard has the name but UNC has cheaper tuition and everything else that Harvard has. Goodluck!

Reactions: 2 users
I would select UNC, Harvard has the name but UNC has cheaper tuition and everything else that Harvard has. Goodluck!
I go to UNC. I can attest that we do not have everything Harvard has.

OP: I chose UNC over Columbia. I’m going into general dentistry, and I’m okay with that. If you’re gunning for OMFS I think harvard is worth it.

My $0.02

Reactions: 5 users
Go to UNC for your dental degree and you can specialize in Harvard if you work hard.

Reactions: 1 users
A good friend of mine made a very similar decision to go to Harvard over UConn and regretted it deeply. Harvard is obviously an amazing program, but when it comes to choosing between two quality programs, you really need to bring cost into the picture, this becomes even more true if you want to specialize because during the time you are in residency making little or no money that debt will continue to grow at a scary rate.

Reactions: 1 users