UNC MPH/MHA/MSPH interviews - Health Policy & Management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arm138

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back from UNC's Health Policy & Management department regarding interviews?

If an applicant receives an interview, is that a good indication that they will likely be accepted (assuming all goes well with the interview)?

If anyone has any info or feedback about UNC's interviews (even past experiences), I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard back from UNC's Health Policy & Management department regarding interviews?

If an applicant receives an interview, is that a good indication that they will likely be accepted (assuming all goes well with the interview)?

If anyone has any info or feedback about UNC's interviews (even past experiences), I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

I would also love to hear this feedback. I received a call today from HPM but I was away from my phone. I returned the call but I didn't reach the point-person and so I left voicemail. Not sure what to expect--was the call a request for an interview? Will it be in-person or over the phone? Any feedback is very much appreciated!

I'm fairly certain that all interviews are in person. I asked a similar question at the open house in October. I know they don't interview all the applicants. I heard from the HPM registrar at the beginning of December because she needed another copy of my transcript. More recently I got an email asking me to come for an interview. I don't have any details about how many people are asked for an interview versus how many people are accepted.

It sounds like a good sign that you got a phone call. Perhaps you'll be offered a scholarship?

Keep us posted if you hear anything further.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fairly certain that all interviews are in person. I asked a similar question at the open house in October. I know they don't interview all the applicants. I heard from the HPM registrar at the beginning of December because she needed another copy of my transcript. More recently I got an email asking me to come for an interview. I don't have any details about how many people are asked for an interview versus how many people are accepted.

It sounds like a good sign that you got a phone call. Perhaps you'll be offered a scholarship?

Keep us posted if you hear anything further.

So I assume you have decided to interview with UNC, since you posted this thread :). I've spent the past hour investigating this forum to determine whether or not having a UNC phone call/interview is a good sign or a bad one, and whether interviews are typical. I get the sense UNC tends to be more likely to interview applicants than other schools. I wasn't expecting to have an interview but I'm comforted by the fact that at least they are interested in me. I'll keep you updated on what happens on my end. Hope your interview goes well, and keep us updated!

Hi there - Yes, I am going to the interview. UNC is the only school I applied to. This is a career change for me so I didn't cast my net widely. UNC looks like the right program for what I want to do so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get in.

Good luck to you. I honestly can't imagine why they called you if it's not positive news. When did you submit your application? I tried to submit by the December 1 deadline but it took some time for my application to be marked complete in the system. Seriously, maybe you're getting a scholarship :oops:) At the Open House they mentioned that applications submitted by December 1st are eligible for a general UNC scholarship.

By the way, did you find any good threads on here regarding UNC's public health programs? I really couldn't find anything and thought that was strange considering UNC is such a strong public health school.

Sorry for the late reply, I was traveling the past week and have had my hands full.

I did get an informal accept from UNC. No scholarship, though, but I'm very happy about the accept. I had trouble getting my application in because of technical issues with UNC portal, but it was eventually viewed as complete by UNC portal around 12/16/10, although technically it should have been complete by the Dec 1 deadline. I still don't know whether I will be considered for scholarship funding because of this technical issue, which worries me.

I, too, couldn't find any one good thread about UNC's program. Instead, just a lot of "versus" thread comparing UNC to this school or that. I'm sure your visit to UNC for the interview will garner you very valuable info. By the way, are they offering you any travel funding for the visit?

Congrats on the unofficial acceptance! I also was invited for an interview with HPM but am not living in the US right now and can't fly back for an interview. (I applied for Master's programs so didn't anticipate that being unable to interview in person would be a problem.) Their invitation said that although not all applicants are invited for interviews, interviews are a required part of the application process. I've tried several times since they sent out the interview invitation in Dec. to request a phone interview but the contact said that she is still waiting to receive confirmation that a phone interview would be possible. I'm wondering how much of a annoying problem applicant I would be if I emailed them for the 4th time to see what the deal is. Any advice? Should I assume they're busy starting the spring semester and wait it out or get in touch again?

I have an upcoming interview for UNC MHA in a few weeks. I have been told that a majority of the students who are invited to interview are accepted. This is great news, but I am still a bit nervous about it! How did your interviews go? I have heard it is pretty low key, but I guess the definition of low-key is a fluid one! Congratulations to those who have been accepted or invited to interview.

I have my interview with UNC soon in the MCH department. I requested a phone interview and they granted it to me (I don't have 400 bucks to fly across the country on a whim, or 40 bucks for that matter ha). I am incredibly nervous. What sort of questions were you asked during your interview(es)?

Reactions: 1 user
I had my interview with the Health Policy & Management department a couple weeks ago. It was very low-key. The get together (including a presentation in the morning, a tour, and the interview) was about four hours in total. The interview was only 45 minutes. It went by really quickly. It was really more of a chat than an interview. During the interview I got the impression that I was going to be accepted and they really wanted to see if UNC would be the right place for me. I actually haven't gotten my official acceptance yet but I contacted the professor who interviewed me and he told me that they have recommended to the graduate that I be offered admission so now it's in the graduate school's hands. I'm supposed to let them know if I haven't heard anything by the end of next week.

So, yes, I feel like if you have an interview then it's almost certain that you'll be accepted.

I had my interview with the Health Policy & Management department a couple weeks ago. It was very low-key. The get together (including a presentation in the morning, a tour, and the interview) was about four hours in total. The interview was only 45 minutes. It went by really quickly. It was really more of a chat than an interview. During the interview I got the impression that I was going to be accepted and they really wanted to see if UNC would be the right place for me. I actually haven't gotten my official acceptance yet but I contacted the professor who interviewed me and he told me that they have recommended to the graduate that I be offered admission so now it's in the graduate school's hands. I'm supposed to let them know if I haven't heard anything by the end of next week.

So, yes, I feel like if you have an interview then it's almost certain that you'll be accepted.

What sort of questions were asked at the interview?

Honestly, I don't even remember the questions. I'm sure each professor is different. We just had a discussion about why I'm interested in the program. I knew who I was interviewing with ahead of time so I asked him about some of the articles he had published in the past. There was a current student at the interview too so I asked her about her experiences at the school.

Random question...what is the dress attire for these events? At first thought I would think suit because that is what I wear most days for work, however in the academic setting (as a female), I don't want to stick out if everyone will be dressing casually.

I have the interview with UNC coming up, and its a day with other activities too. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Everyone was wearing a suit for the interviews when I was there last month.

I had my interview at UNC for the HPM department for my MSPH this morning. They said they would notify us within 48 hours. Fingers crossed!

I have my interview with UNC soon in the MCH department. I requested a phone interview and they granted it to me (I don't have 400 bucks to fly across the country on a whim, or 40 bucks for that matter ha). I am incredibly nervous. What sort of questions were you asked during your interview(es)?
Hello,
i'm in the same boat as you!
I wanted to ask you and see what happened with your phone interview? how did it go? did you get accepted ? and do you know if a phone interview doesn't give you as good as a chance as a personal one to get accepted?