UNC MSTP vs UTSW MSTP vs Einstein MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Envro55

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to these wonderful programs. I am interested in neuroscience, but am okay with exploring different areas during graduate school. Which program do you all think would be the best fit, and do you think there is clearly one program that is better than the others? Would any of these programs potentially limit any opportunities? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

UNC

Pros:

+Most highly ranked (probably not much difference in relative prestige between these institutions?)

+Housing will be cheap and nice

+Really liked the directors

+Really liked the collaborative atmosphere of UNC Neuroscience Center

+More total research funding than the other 2

+Great match list

+Okay research fit- 2 people I could see myself working with (1 of which I think would be the best mentor I have met, also okay with trying something new)

+Students were cool

+Very good MSTP specific programming

+Very high F30 funding rate

Cons:

-Location is not great but it seems okay with the stuff to do in surrounding areas

-Didn’t seem very diverse

-Stipend slightly lower than other 2 (29k compared to 35k)

-Smaller MSTP class (~10 students- would prefer a larger class)

UT Southwestern

Pros:

+I got along best with these students of the 3 (mostly met 1st years though)

+Great match list

+Dallas is better than Chapel Hill IMO

+Housing will be affordable and nice

+Best research fit (~4 ppl I’m interested in working with)

+Liked the leadership

+Very good MSTP specific programming

+Seemed more diverse

Cons:

-Have heard rumors the medical school might be cut-throat (don’t know if this is true)

-Not sure how collaborative it is here in research (will get a better sense at 2nd look hopefully)

-Clinical clerkships have honor, near honors, high pass, and pass.

Einstein

Pros:

+Bronx is good location- good access to Manhattan and know the most people in this area

+On campus housing is really nice and cheap

+Nice students

+Director is very good- one of the best known MSTP directors

+Diverse

+One of the oldest MST programs

+Really good MSTP specific programming and coursework

+Relatively large MSTP class size (14-16 students)

Cons:

-Slightly lower ranking than the other two (However, it feels like their MSTP might be one of the stronger ones IMO)

-Match list seems to be heavily concentrated in NY (don’t know about their reputation on the west coast)

-Neuroscience research fit here isn’t ideal, but I would also be okay with moving to a different research area

Members don't see this ad.