UNC (OOS) vs. UCSF (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmahbou

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an OOS for both UNC and UCSF. Which do you favor more highly? It's hard to gauge the quality of education and opportunities made available to you based on a single Zoom meeting. For starters, I don't have a preference on which coast I live - I am mainly interested to know what others have heard/seen/experienced personally at these schools in terms of quality of education/training and satisfaction of the current and past students. The difference in tuition costs are pretty negligible not factoring in the cost of living (please correct me if I am wrong). Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an OOS for both UNC and UCSF. Which do you favor more highly? It's hard to gauge the quality of education and opportunities made available to you based on a single Zoom meeting. For starters, I don't have a preference on which coast I live - I am mainly interested to know what others have heard/seen/experienced personally at these schools in terms of quality of education/training and satisfaction of the current and past students. The difference in tuition costs are pretty negligible not factoring in the cost of living (please correct me if I am wrong). Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone!
UCSF allows you to be in state after one year
their student services gives you all the tips and tricks to save money while in school

both schools are excellent, amongst the top in the country

it also depends on where you want to practice after school
being nearer to the school you went to helps with alumni networking

UCSF allows you to be in state after one year
their student services gives you all the tips and tricks to save money while in school

both schools are excellent, amongst the top in the country

it also depends on where you want to practice after school
being nearer to the school you went to helps with alumni networking
Thank you for your response. From what I learned in the interview, UNC also allows in-state after 1 year. I really like both programs but do not have any plans yet for post graduation so I don't know where I will end up practicing.

Thank you for your response. From what I learned in the interview, UNC also allows in-state after 1 year. I really like both programs but do not have any plans yet for post graduation so I don't know where I will end up practicing.
did not know that
excellent choice to have to make
congrats on your hard work to get to this point

the choice would be big city vs research triangle NC then...
good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are excellent programs. UCSF honors/pass/fail right?

it really is a decision of big city vs small. SF vs the research triangle. Both very, very different areas.

Damn, big congrats on being able to choose between these two schools! UNC and UCSF were my top choices, and while I heard back from UCSF, no word from UNC yet. I think another thing to keep in mind when thinking about cost is the cost of living in each of these cities. Just a quick search on Trulia shows a very stark contrast between rent in SF vs. Chapel Hill.

Another thing in terms of school environment is that UNC has a large undergrad campus attached to its name, while UCSF is a graduate-only campus. What do you think about being in closer proximity to undergrads? Do you really like that "big school environment"? Or are you ready to leave all that and have a more "professional" environment? Minor things, but it may tip your decision towards one or the other!

Damn, big congrats on being able to choose between these two schools! UNC and UCSF were my top choices, and while I heard back from UCSF, no word from UNC yet. I think another thing to keep in mind when thinking about cost is the cost of living in each of these cities. Just a quick search on Trulia shows a very stark contrast between rent in SF vs. Chapel Hill.

Another thing in terms of school environment is that UNC has a large undergrad campus attached to its name, while UCSF is a graduate-only campus. What do you think about being in closer proximity to undergrads? Do you really like that "big school environment"? Or are you ready to leave all that and have a more "professional" environment? Minor things, but it may tip your decision towards one or the other!
Thank you so much. That's a great point. I will take that into consideration. I really valued being on a campus for my graduate training so that's definitely a pro for UNC.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply. They will end up costing the same amount.

I visited Chapel Hill's dental school several times as a pre-dent since I went to school down the road.

Seemed like a great school and it's a BEAUTIFUL place to be. Save San Francisco for when you are cashing big checks as a dentist. Until then, enjoy the pleasures North Carolina has to offer. Especially if you're from North East or California, you have no idea what you're missing in the south.

Reactions: 1 user
I visited Chapel Hill's dental school several times as a pre-dent since I went to school down the road.

Seemed like a great school and it's a BEAUTIFUL place to be. Save San Francisco for when you are cashing big checks as a dentist. Until then, enjoy the pleasures North Carolina has to offer. Especially if you're from North East or California, you have no idea what you're missing in the south.
Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate any and all input.

If anyone else has any suggestions or experiences with these schools, please chime in. I really appreciate it. Thanks.