unc or dartmouth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llt

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a NC resident who has been accepted at UNC and Dartmouth. I have always been partial to Dartmouth, with its small class sizes, curriculum, and location (I love New England). But the price tag is over 3x that of UNC, which is also ranked higher, whatever that means, and the population around Dartmouth seems a little homogeneous. I wouldn't be in too much debt after Dartmouth, but I wonder whether it is worth it and whether either choice would make a difference in my residency. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

My friends at UNC have told me that they're not that happy. That might change when they get out of school with minimal debt. Right now, though, they're in a big school with a pretty traditional program.

I am at UNC and am very happy. I did well on my boards, got my first choice for residency (as did the majority of my class), and will have no debt when I leave.

Yes, it is a traditional curriculum and the class size is around 160. But you are divided into lab groups that make it seem smaller. Plus, I think the traditional curriculum is proven, as opposed to PBLs. Also, starting this year, lectures will be held in ultramodern classrooms

Either way, you probably won't go wrong, but I know that you can be happy at UNC.

Members don't see this ad :)
i went to dartmouth undergrad and spent a lot of time in the med school doing research and such.

the population is homogenious if you mean lots of white folks, but there is also a "critical mass" of diversity among the student body.

let me just say that dartmouth is very small. especially the med school. it also has amazing facilities. mary greely med ctr. is super for a training and research facility. my friends in med school there give faculty sort of low grades, but there are also some very good grades too....true of most places. the students are awesome. some of the best people i know are at school there, though i'm a bit predisposed to funky-smartcats.

dartmouth is rural and makes living a bucolic life of bliss and outdoorsiness easy to come by. i would go there if i got in. carolinas are muggy but there's probably some good banjo music near at hand...that's all i know about that.

go to darmouth.

I go to UNC and I'm totally happy. God if my class was any smaller I'd want to kill myself. Considering how much time you will spend with your classmates over the next four years I think you'll be glad that the class size is 150 rather than 75.

And UNC will be even cheaper than you think. The majority, if not all, of my classmates have received some kind of scholarship or grant without even knowing about it when they got here. My tuition is $1,000 bucks for the whole year and I don't think that my case is totally unusual. Save the 100,000 dollars and buy yourself a house or a ferrari to drive around campus! You're going to get the same education at both schools. There are some serious benefits to going to a big public university.

And seriously though don't forget the weather? Oh and the TarHeels are going to win the bball championship in two years so that might be fun for you too.

Small class sizes aren't always a good thing. If you are the gossipy type, you'll love it. My class is tiny. If something happens, people will know about it in a matter of days (if not hours). It can get annoying (yes, I'm guilty occasionally). Even if you don't do anything, people talk. Example: Because I don't often go to class, I am apparently failing out (I didn't know carrying Bs = failing out). People "worry" about me. Yeah right!

It's not all bad, though. There are some really cool people in my class. They might have been "lost in the crowd" had the program been any larger.

You've got great schools to choose from. I don't know that I would like that decision. If I had to make it, though, I'd go with UNC. I love NC (hope to settle there) and don't think that it is worth passing up for more debt.

Ok, I LOVE it here at UNC. The campus is a part of the medical school which is great! You can work out in the gym or study on campus. The attendings and teachers are great (after 1st year, but I think all students hate 1st year). They treat you like GOLD. I have been so impressed with the program, as traditional as it is!

Durham and Raleigh are also great to visit, although there is much to do in Chapel Hill.

About class size, I love the size of our class...ok, you have about 150 -160 total, and in labs about 30. I would not change it for anythying. You get so close to your classmates, and thank God there is such diversity here at UNC, wow, you really have a chance to meet such unique people from all around! It really is what makes UNC such a wonderful school...the classmates are wonderful and such team players!1

ok, ill stop..but if you have any ?'s just ask

~Pegasus