UNC School of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so would it be blaspheme to put Gonzaga over UNC in the sweet 16? Lawsons injury scares me, and gonzaga is really good.

Members don't see this ad.

so would it be blaspheme to put Gonzaga over UNC in the sweet 16? Lawsons injury scares me, and gonzaga is really good.

I think by Sweet 16 time he'll be fine. I'm more worried about LSU - assuming they get past Butler.

Hey Aladdin, they have to give us our myunc stuff to access fin. aid so i think before orientation sometime but who knows when letters go out. Second, anyone have any idea about the amount of scholarships they give out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everbody!
Here's a link to the info for the room I am renting in a townhouse in Finley Forest starting in August or before. http://lemonnsweett.blogspot.com/20...howComment=1237768380000#c1027600780194388435 (all the stuff in the pictures is from the previous owners). I am actually in Spain for the semester but will be Chapel Hill this weekend for Second Look so if you're interested, we could definitely meet and I could show you the townhouse if you're interested..

Hey Aladdin, they have to give us our myunc stuff to access fin. aid so i think before orientation sometime but who knows when letters go out. Second, anyone have any idea about the amount of scholarships they give out?
i thought i read somewhere that they give out a decent amount after second year.

Any thoughts on the dress for second look?

Any thoughts on the dress for second look?

I'm probably going to wear khakis and a button down shirt. I wouldn't think it'd be too dressy but I don't want to look like a schmuck

i thought i read somewhere that they give out a decent amount after second year.

Chubs, if you come across that, would you post a link?

Clp, good point regarding the financial aid stuff. As to the scholarships, I know a lot of them are need-based. If you search around on their website you can find a list of them - although I doubt all of them are full scholarships (I've accessed the list before but can't remember how I found it).

Can we bring a guest to second look? Secondly, I think khakies and button down would be a good choice to make first impressions.

khakis and button down will be my likely attire, possibly a polo if the weather is nice. we will be eating in one of the Carolina Inn ballrooms which will be pretty nice (servers in monkey suits) and lots of faculty will be present for introductions so I def wouldn't wear jeans or tees. Anything above that should be fine... I look forward to seeing all of you there.

Chubs, if you come across that, would you post a link?

Clp, good point regarding the financial aid stuff. As to the scholarships, I know a lot of them are need-based. If you search around on their website you can find a list of them - although I doubt all of them are full scholarships (I've accessed the list before but can't remember how I found it).
It wasnt on the website...I think i was talking to someone from UNC on here.

Any idea what we'll be doing during "getting to know you?"

Can we bring a guest to second look? Secondly, I think khakies and button down would be a good choice to make first impressions.

I emailed to ask about guests at second look and was told no because they had only budgeted for a certain number or people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how often tests are M1 year?

I looked at the rough draft schedule online, and it seems like for Blocks 2, 3, and 4 there is only one final exam and thats it?!?!?!:eek:

a student on here told me they have tests every 2 weeks.

MS1 year, we have 4 exams per block, and they are usually every other Monday so we get a full weekend to study. For the few exams we've had not on a Monday (usually at the end of a block), they've always given us a reading day the day beforehand. We've had a few exams that cover 3 weeks worth of material, but the third week always seems much lighter on lectures with more small group/review/demo sessions scheduled in their place.

MS1 year, we have 4 exams per block, and they are usually every other Monday so we get a full weekend to study. For the few exams we've had not on a Monday (usually at the end of a block), they've always given us a reading day the day beforehand. We've had a few exams that cover 3 weeks worth of material, but the third week always seems much lighter on lectures with more small group/review/demo sessions scheduled in their place.
O ok....I guess they ahvent finalized that "rough" draft.

hey everyone? how was second look? I was at uga for my friend's 22nd birthday.

Also, I sign a lease for 1/2 of a 2 bedroom apartment in chapel view. let me know if anyone is interested in renting the other half.... preferable female and not messy... it's $545/mth each (utilities included) and 2 gyms, 2 pools, free printing lab, and multiple tanning beds all included.

Just to let you all know (for those of us who weren't UNC students before), you can register for your Onyen ID at this site https://onyen.unc.edu/cgi-bin/unc_id/services. It doesn't look like there is anything interesting up there right now but it should update with Financial Aid Info when it's available.

Just to let you all know (for those of us who weren't UNC students before), you can register for your Onyen ID at this site https://onyen.unc.edu/cgi-bin/unc_id/services. It doesn't look like there is anything interesting up there right now but it should update with Financial Aid Info when it's available.

Just talked to Financial Aid office. They said the "packets" will be sent out late April or early May and will be sent VIA EMAIL. They will give you a PID and you must use that to get your ONYEN. Can't register for an ONYEN without it.

Last edited:
Hey. I am interested. I am female, very clean, and very respectful. Have you already found a roomie??

hey everyone? how was second look? I was at uga for my friend's 22nd birthday.

Also, I sign a lease for 1/2 of a 2 bedroom apartment in chapel view. let me know if anyone is interested in renting the other half.... preferable female and not messy... it's $545/mth each (utilities included) and 2 gyms, 2 pools, free printing lab, and multiple tanning beds all included.

Just talked to Financial Aid office. They said the "packets" will be sent out late April or early May and will be sent VIA EMAIL. You don't need an Onyen for this. Plus, I don't think you can get an Onyen without your PID, which you probably do not have yet if you didn't go to UNC undergrad.

I don't know who started the whole idea that you could only access financial aid info if you had a login ID, but that is NOT TRUE.
Man, I hope they are better with that then they are with everything else.

My guess is we dont find out till mid-july:D

Is anyone considering buying a house or condo? Has anyone checked out that Bradford Place that they apparently sold us out to? I don't know if I want to shell out rent for four years...

Just a question, does the medical school process our fin aid or the main financial aid office at UNC? I thought when submitting with the code they gave us in the email that it seemed it went to the main school office. Just curious anyone know how this all works?

I had a question as well. Does UNC give us lots of little quizzes, online or in class, or are grades determined almost solely on tests?

I just had to say: GOOOOO HEEEEELLLLLSSSSS!!!! Everyone get excited to watch the game tonight!!!

I had a question as well. Does UNC give us lots of little quizzes, online or in class, or are grades determined almost solely on tests?

I know virtually all if not all of the grade for each block is determined by the tests (every 2 weeks for the most part during the 1st year). The medical sociology and introduction to clinical medicine courses have separate assignments (such as papers) that are used to make up the grades for those classes.

I know virtually all if not all of the grade for each block is determined by the tests (every 2 weeks for the most part during the 1st year). The medical sociology and introduction to clinical medicine courses have separate assignments (such as papers) that are used to make up the grades for those classes.
Thanks.

Is anyone considering buying a house or condo? Has anyone checked out that Bradford Place that they apparently sold us out to? I don't know if I want to shell out rent for four years...

Yeah. My parents are thinking about buying a place. I was going to go by Bradford Place, but it's a little farther than I wanted to look. I'm looking mainly around town and Finley Forest.

Is it just me, or is there a ton of bitterness on the UNC secondary thread? Apparently, everyone admitted is a *****, douche, going into medicine for the wrong reasons, or underqualified.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is there a ton of bitterness on the UNC secondary thread? Apparently, everyone admitted is a *****, douche, going into medicine for the wrong reasons, or underqualified.

Yeah...gosh I was just reading it and it made me nervous. I hope people don't ever think I wasn't good enough to get in... I mean, I think many people are just really frustrated and there is no way to make the process completely fair, so it is what it is. Granted, I understand that it is much easier for me to say that considering that I got in. Also, most of the people I know that got in are really cool, so hopefully that bodes well for the rest of the class!

Yeah...gosh I was just reading it and it made me nervous. I hope people don't ever think I wasn't good enough to get in... I mean, I think many people are just really frustrated and there is no way to make the process completely fair, so it is what it is. Granted, I understand that it is much easier for me to say that considering that I got in. Also, most of the people I know that got in are really cool, so hopefully that bodes well for the rest of the class!

Yeah, I don't think there's a whole lot to worry about. Every class (especially as big as UNC's) is going to have its douches. That's kind of expected. That's why people find their own little niche to fit into and you end up being really good friends with a smaller group of people. I think as a whole, UNC's classes are amazingly down-to-earth.

Last edited:

And you, sir, have just correctly identified the reason for the existence of NC State fans. The most bitter poster on that thread was one whose hubris wanted to positively jump off of the forum screen and smack you in the face.

Does anyone know where we have to send our official transcripts, to the main office 1001 bondurant?

Does anyone know where we have to send our official transcripts, to the main office 1001 bondurant?

Per my conversation a week or so ago with Eric Shuler, they apparently need to go to the Admissions office, and that applies even for people (like me) who went UNC undergrad.

Hey future MS1s,

First, congrats on getting into such a great school!

I am a current MS2, and I will be moving to Asheville next year for a pilot project. I have an awesome house that my husband and I are selling. We are doing a special price for UNC SOM students.

It's been a perfect location for me during med school, and we're asking $113,000 (plus closing costs) for you guys. My mom is a real estate agent, and she can help us with all those details. The price is firm, and there are no annoying negotiations. It's perfect for a couple or two roommates (I've done both). Check out our Craigslist post (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/reo/1119185411.html) or check it out under facebook marketplace (http://apps.facebook.com/marketplace/view/-/1299058984/?orig=MANAGEMENT).

Call me at 919-636-0311, message me on facebook, or e-mail [email protected] with questions, to see the house, or if you have any other questions about UNC SOM. You can also call my husband at 919-636-1037 for questions about the house and to see it (he's at available more than me!)

You guys made the right choice!
Laurie
ill give you 50K for it

Hey guys, I'm looking for a roommate in Finley Forest (where I bought a townhouse). It's a 3bd/2.5ba and I ideally want to share with just one other person (aka you get 2 rooms + private bath). It's a 30 second walk from the Friday center bus stop and the Safe Ride G bus stop, close to I-40, Southpoint, right across from Meadowmont, community includes pool and tennis courts, has a deck and side yard, gas grill, etc. I'm asking $540 + 1/2 utilities. http://lemonnsweett.blogspot.com/. If you have any questions my number is 919-648-2199 or email is [email protected]. ~Ginny

Hi everyone...I spoke with the Financial Aid office yesterday and she said that packages should be ready to go and given out by next Friday! :)

Greetings, fellow UNC med students-to-be! I am still on the lookout for a place to stay starting mid/late July. I am respectful of other people's stuff and am moderately clean. If anyone on here has found a place and is on the lookout for a roommate please email me!

Thank you,

Alan Smeltz
[email protected]

Hi everyone...I spoke with the Financial Aid office yesterday and she said that packages should be ready to go and given out by next Friday! :)

next friday being the 8th or 15th for financial aid?

Last edited:
Greetings, fellow UNC med students-to-be! I am still on the lookout for a place to stay starting mid/late July. I am respectful of other people's stuff and am moderately clean. If anyone on here has found a place and is on the lookout for a roommate please email me!

Thank you,

Alan Smeltz
[email protected]
Hey...join the facebook group UNC class of 2013...THeres like 10 different ppl on there looking for roomates

lol..ok imma bet we get it june 6th.

Does anyone have a clue what actually goes into creating each person's packet? For some reason I get the feeling that finaid people are always behind because they're overworked and underpaid. I wonder if its the same for med school.

next friday being the 8th or 15th for financial aid?

The 8th is what she said. I am going in to talk to them on Friday about what it all means because I am very confused about how it all works.

So what specialty are yall picking for the ICM community weeks...I think my order of preference will be IM, Peds, FM, and OB