UNC School of Medicine Waitlist 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you been waitlisted IS or OOS?

• Total voters
In 2017/2018, the first waitlist acceptances began and were clustered around May 3rd and for 2018/19 on May 8th. If nothing else, our cohort is gifted in the art of statistical inference.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
In 2017/2018, the first waitlist acceptances began and were clustered around May 3rd and for 2018/19 on May 8th. If nothing else, our cohort is gifted in the art of statistical inference.
Maybe they’re going for a nice clean trend and we’ll hear back around May 13th.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you have gotten this far speaks volumes. You are still under active consideration and 95% of the other applicants are not.

Chin up :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Why don’t they share more information about how the waitlist works? Don’t mean to sound salty, but I feel like the waiting would be easier to cope with if I understood more about the process

Why don’t they share more information about how the waitlist works? Don’t mean to sound salty, but I feel like the waiting would be easier to cope with if I understood more about the process

My guess would be that when and how they decide who to accept changes so frequently that they also don't have a set protocol themselves. As annoying as it can be being left in the dark, it's better than them making promises they can't keep.

Reactions: 1 user
I cant wait for that first post that says that they were "accepted off the waitlist!" I am so happy for that future person.

What is it you don't know? We wait...and wait...and wait...and hope our number is called! It doesn't seem anything is different this year than previous years? A good perusal of the previous UNC threads shows how this will play out over the next 2 months, mostly this month given as how most of the applicants that got in off the waitlist got in during May.

What is it you don't know? We wait...and wait...and wait...and hope our number is called! It doesn't seem anything is different this year than previous years? A good perusal of the previous UNC threads shows how this will play out over the next 2 months, mostly this month given as how most of the applicants that got in off the waitlist got in during May.
Relative to other schools, I feel like they haven't told us much. Some other schools at least tell you if you're in the bottom half/upper half or third or whatever. I just don't know how optimistic to be, but regardless I am grateful to have a spot on the list!

Our time is coming you guys, I’d honestly be VERY surprised if at least a few people don’t hear back next week!

• Love
Wow fam just had a heart attack, WHEW I’m hurt lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao sorry - i had to
1588874006701.gif

• Haha
Well I definitely had a mini heart attack! Oh boy. I’m just hoping somehow I get off the waitlist- I loved this school!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Soooo... nobody has heard anything yet? I know this process has to take time, but ughhhhhhh

CC1509D9-9745-4C2B-B044-06BCBBF42718.jpeg

Me watching the FB group size increase, not sure if it even means anything but I’m getting anxious to say the least...

Has anyone tried to contact the admissions office? I tried to call but seems like they are working remotely (which might also be why this is taking time)

I seem to remember people on the main thread saying it took a long time to be approved to join. Maybe they're clearing the backlog now.

Also remember that current students are trickling into the page as well! Especially those looking to sublease. Class of 2023 facebook page has 325 people so I think there's still some wiggle room :)

Also remember that current students are trickling into the page as well! Especially those looking to sublease. Class of 2023 facebook page has 325 people so I think there's still some wiggle room :)

I know this is annoying, but I don’t have Facebook. How many people are currently in the group?

I bet some of them are class of 2023 people wanting to be involved though

I bet some of them are class of 2023 people wanting to be involved though

Absolutely. For context, I'm in younger class year group pages for my undergrad, along with a ton of other people from other years. Helpful for them because older students can give recommendations and answer questions, helpful for older students so we can sell them our old textbooks, etc. and I'm personally a bit nosy haha

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
That's good to know and makes a lot of sense. Some of us waitlisters might be joining as well as well as applicants lined-up for the 2021-2025 cycle.

I don’t understand how it’s possible they haven’t given out waitlist acceptances yet. It’s been over a week since April 30. Doing my best to not get frustrated but the lack of transparency in this whole process is wearing me down

Reactions: 7 users
I don’t understand how it’s possible they haven’t given out waitlist acceptances yet. It’s been over a week since April 30. Doing my best to not get frustrated but the lack of transparency in this whole process is wearing me down
Yep I feel you. It’s very frustrating. Especially since most other schools started accepting waitlisters a while ago. I understand that this pandemic has complicated things, but given they haven’t communicated anything at all about it and were adamant about us not contacting them it’s a bit disrespectful

Has anyone tried to contact the admissions office? I tried to call but seems like they are working remotely (which might also be why this is taking time)

I emailed them towards the end of April, though it took a week to respond they did eventually

sorry if you've already mentioned this before, but did they give any useful info at all in their response?
I had emailed about advising appointments and was told they weren't available to WL people

According to the main UNC thread, it looks like at least one person has withdrew their offer of admission so there's hope for someone haha

Hoping for a Monday morning full of waitlist movement :xf:

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
According to the main UNC thread, it looks like at least one person has withdrew their offer of admission so there's hope for someone haha

Hoping for a Monday morning full of waitlist movement :xf:

Thank you for the positivity! It was much needed given that all of us are at the edge of our seats right now.I hope that we hear some good news this week! Good luck everybody!

• Love
Someone just posted to the main thread that they were accepted off the waitlist. Hopefully this opens the floodgates a little

Someone was just accepted. See the UNC Chapel Hill forum.

sorry, did someone else other than the person that got accepted this morning get accepted? I can't find it on the thread so I may not be looking in the right place!

Sooooo, just one person today? Or at least just one person posting on SDN. Do you guys think we’ll see more?

Sooooo, just one person today? Or at least just one person posting on SDN. Do you guys think we’ll see more?

Always hoping for the best, but if just one person (the dean) is making the calls, then I'd guess that we're done for today. If he had a list, it would make the most sense for him to make the calls back to back.

Always hoping for the best, but if just one person (the dean) is making the calls, then I'd guess that we're done for today. If he had a list, it would make the most sense for him to make the calls back to back.
Yeah, I imagine you're right. Hopefully we'll see more later this week!

Sassyscope was accepted via phone call from the Dean at 11:02 this morning. He mentioned that an email would be sent next week. The post is on the UNC Chapel Hill forum,

Given that we've only heard of one, there should be more coming.

Sassyscope was accepted via phone call from the Dean at 11:02 this morning. He mentioned that an email would be sent next week. The post is on the UNC Chapel Hill forum,

Given that we've only heard of one, there should be more coming.

Ah okay, I think some of us were confused because @ThirdTimestheCharmPls already mentioned that acceptance a few posts ahead of yours at 11:16. Sad there wasn't more

whew. it looks only one so far. perhaps our lucky member has a particular quality that UNC is seeking, as it seems unlikely that the Dean is going to call everyone. I think that's the first time I've read that. Has the FB group increased today?