UNC School of Medicine Waitlist 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you been waitlisted IS or OOS?

• Total voters
whew. it looks only one so far. perhaps our lucky member has a particular quality that UNC is seeking, as it seems unlikely that the Dean is going to call everyone. I think that's the first time I've read that. Has the FB group increased today?

It's still at 173, but since the group is private, there's lag time between asking to join and being let into the group

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
whew. it looks only one so far. perhaps our lucky member has a particular quality that UNC is seeking, as it seems unlikely that the Dean is going to call everyone. I think that's the first time I've read that. Has the FB group increased today?

It's been hovering around the same numbers, no increase yet! I also recall that last year they started off by giving one acceptance out initially and then giving them out in bunches later on. Now that the foot is in the door (ahahah MCAT), I'm sure that in the days to come at least a few more of us will make it off!

I wonder if there will be more throughout the week because UNC usually updates through email or even calls later in the week? Possibly wishful thinking haha

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if there will be more throughout the week because UNC usually updates through email or even calls later in the week? Possibly wishful thinking haha
I'm sure there will be! Their class doesn't seem to be full yet. I would be shocked if they didn't take anyone else.

Reactions: 2 users

I support this theory and congrats on getting an acceptance elsewhere!! So exciting you'll be in med school this year no matter what!! :clap:

• Love
Eh idk, I think it's pretty common to receive phone calls from the deans for the waitlist. Since WL movement is pretty low volume, it doesn't seem too hard for them to send the calls. Duke's dean has been doing the WL calls, for instance

I don’t understand why there aren’t usually a bunch of acceptances all at once...? Wouldn’t the greatest number of people come off the waitlist at the beginning once people are required to make decisions?

I don’t understand why there aren’t usually a bunch of acceptances all at once...? Wouldn’t the greatest number of people come off the waitlist at the beginning once people are required to make decisions?
Maybe it's being dragged out by their process for deciding who gets taken off the wait list? They might call some easy decisions earlier in the week and then send out emails after they have enough time to wade through a good number of the other applications... or I'm just speculating to distract myself from staring at the phone and pretend it's not May 11th

Also have to consider people not on sdn getting off WL or sdn users not reporting. I heard from someone that their friend got off the WL last Monday (May 4th) but was hesitant to say anything b/c I saw nothing on here or the main forum. Just goes to show this forum isn’t going to reveal everything to us unfortunately. My only plea to everyone is plz try doing the best thing for yourself. If you have no acceptance, work your butt off perfecting your reapplication. If you have an acceptance, then look how you can make the most of your potential medical school education (if UNC is your #1). Either way just find a way to get motivated about something other than obsessing over when others on sdn hear back, b/c in the end this forum isn’t going to change the fact if you get off the WL or not

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe it's being dragged out by their process for deciding who gets taken off the wait list? They might call some easy decisions earlier in the week and then send out emails after they have enough time to wade through a good number of the other applications... or I'm just speculating to distract myself from staring at the phone and pretend it's not May 11th
Same. I have no idea how waitlists work but the way I see it, it’s better to think about that than the current state of the world rn

Also have to consider people not on sdn getting off WL or sdn users not reporting. I heard from someone that their friend got off the WL last Monday (May 4th) but was hesitant to say anything b/c I saw nothing on here or the main forum. Just goes to show this forum isn’t going to reveal everything to us unfortunately. My only plea to everyone is plz try doing the best thing for yourself. If you have no acceptance, work your butt off perfecting your reapplication. If you have an acceptance, then look how you can make the most of your potential medical school education (if UNC is your #1). Either way just find a way to get motivated about something other than obsessing over when others on sdn hear back, b/c in the end this forum isn’t going to change the fact if you get off the WL or not

So what I'm hearing is that next Monday will be our time to shine with this current trend ;)

In all seriousness, thank you for this info, and I hate that you felt like you had to be hesitant to share. It's totally reasonable that there are other acceptances and I appreciate everything that you all are willing to share. Working on my reapp as you suggested but this b**** can multitask so you all will still find me here stressing out and cheering everyone on hahaha

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
perhaps a stupid question...is the waitlist binding? and what about fiinancial aid? You may have accepted a position on the waitlist but still need financial support in order to attend. How quickly can they get word in order to accept?

My dentist called to confirm my appointment that’s coming up (I live in chapel hill) and I about had a heart attack

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
perhaps a stupid question...is the waitlist binding? and what about fiinancial aid? You may have accepted a position on the waitlist but still need financial support in order to attend. How quickly can they get word in order to accept?
I’m guessing they’ll give people a certain amount of time to enroll, probably two weeks? That’s something to ask people who’ve been accepted. But it’s definitely not binding. If you get off the waitlist you can choose not to go there. As for financial aid I’m sure they’ll get it to students as soon as they can, but I doubt waitlisters are in the running for scholarships at this point :/

Is there any way to check on your waitlist status? I responded at one point to say that I would like to be kept on the waitlist, but I haven't communicated (or received communication) since. My portal still says 'Decided' (as it did the day the waitlist email went out). But I don't know if there is a way to confirm that I am in fact still under consideration. and I don't want to email them because we were told not to...

Is there any way to check on your waitlist status? I responded at one point to say that I would like to be kept on the waitlist, but I haven't communicated (or received communication) since. My portal still says 'Decided' (as it did the day the waitlist email went out). But I don't know if there is a way to confirm that I am in fact still under consideration. and I don't want to email them because we were told not to...
The only way I can think of is clicking the link they sent us in the WL invite and seeing that green confirmation that you clicked yes. Other than that I don’t think there’s anything else you can do other than call/email.

Also idk why this thought JUST occurred to me but based on the rumors that UNC went through a lot of their waitlist last year maybe they increased waitlist size to avoid that this year? Idk if this is a good or bad thing but maybe that means a smaller proportion of folks getting waitlists turned to As? Just shooting in the dark tbh. This thought is helping me be more realistic about my chances too so #bittersweet

In checking the waitlist question, if you are accepted off of the waitlist, you have 5 days to commit to enroll and you must withdrawal from other waitlists or "plan to enroll" submissions. If the WL offer comes with 30 days of the start of school, you have only two days to commit. So, UNC will start accepting people from the waitlist, but will need to wait 5 days to determine how many committed. There is a chance that people will decline the waitlist acceptance, clearing another spot. I know that they are doing the best that they can and respect their need to find the very best class, but I have done animal research with more humane protocols than this.

• Haha
The only way I can think of is clicking the link they sent us in the WL invite and seeing that green confirmation that you clicked yes. Other than that I don’t think there’s anything else you can do other than call/email.

Also idk why this thought JUST occurred to me but based on the rumors that UNC went through a lot of their waitlist last year maybe they increased waitlist size to avoid that this year? Idk if this is a good or bad thing but maybe that means a smaller proportion of folks getting waitlists turned to As? Just shooting in the dark tbh. This thought is helping me be more realistic about my chances too so #bittersweet

UNC definitely created a huge waitlist this year (confirmed by someone involved in admissions), so I think it stands to reason that a smaller proportion of us will get off the waitlist as compared to last year.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
do you all know if the admissions office or the dean accepts letters of interest/intent if you're on the WL?

do you all know if the admissions office or the dean accepts letters of interest/intent if you're on the WL?
UNC has heavily emphasized that they will not take any updates and seems to want to limit contact in general. I do not think they would take a letter of interest or intent (or I would have already sent one too).

In checking the waitlist question, if you are accepted off of the waitlist, you have 5 days to commit to enroll and you must withdrawal from other waitlists or "plan to enroll" submissions. If the WL offer comes with 30 days of the start of school, you have only two days to commit. So, UNC will start accepting people from the waitlist, but will need to wait 5 days to determine how many committed. There is a chance that people will decline the waitlist acceptance, clearing another spot. I know that they are doing the best that they can and respect their need to find the very best class, but I have done animal research with more humane protocols than this.
You actually have a minimum of 5 business days, but the school can choose to make this time longer. For example, I was accepted to a school off of the waitlist after April 30th and they have given me 14 days to select which one of my acceptances I would like to hold.

UNC has heavily emphasized that they will not take any updates and seems to want to limit contact in general. I do not think they would take a letter of interest or intent (or I would have already sent one too).

UNC admissions :thumbdown: (pls accept me though)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Where are the acceptances???? I feel like I’m having a mental breakdown here, how can they just keep us in purgatory for 9 months? I’m genuinely so tired of this. Why are Med School admissions so different than literally any other school or job? No other field regularly does this

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Where are the acceptances???? I feel like I’m having a mental breakdown here, how can they just keep us in purgatory for 9 months? I’m genuinely so tired of this. Why are Med School admissions so different than literally any other school or job? No other field regularly does this

I know I'm really sorry that you're feeling this way! I'm so thankful for everyone on this thread because it shows me that I am not alone in this grueling wait. I am rooting for you! Keep your head up future physician!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I feel this, it just sucks, even worse with nothing to keep myself busy anymore

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This might be a reach, but does anyone happen to know the size of the waitlist last year?

This cycle of wailist acceptances in certainly different from 2017-18 and 2018-19. in terms of timing. However it seems likely that they will release all waitlist acceptances in a 1-2 day cluster, which would be consistent with "P"s comment about Monday as the big day.
Stay positive and start next years application for distraction.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
This thread is definitely giving me life, y'all. It sucks we are all waiting but it's nice to know one is not alone in all this. I am still trying to figure out when to quit my job, whether to give up my apartment (I have to renew or give notice by the end of this month), whether to start looking for a home in the new state where I got my other acceptance or whether to wait until the last minute to see if UNC will have mercy on me. If my life was not already full of other more stressful things I would have definitely had a medschool-related heart attack by now. Thanks to all who are staying positive in spite of everything. It will all work out one way or another.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
This thread is definitely giving me life, y'all. It sucks we are all waiting but it's nice to know one is not alone in all this. I am still trying to figure out when to quit my job, whether to give up my apartment (I have to renew or give notice by the end of this month), whether to start looking for a home in the new state where I got my other acceptance or whether to wait until the last minute to see if UNC will have mercy on me. If my life was not already full of other more stressful things I would have definitely had a medschool-related heart attack by now. Thanks to all who are staying positive in spite of everything. It will all work out one way or another.
I feel this. I’m sure many of us are in a similar situation. I got into grad school but feel like I can’t make arrangements to move until I’m certain med school isn’t an option. The best way I can make even the slightest speculation about everything is this page so here I am

On another note, Harvard Med will go online for the Fall semester. Many school will apparently allowing accepted students to defer until next year. Perhaps that would open a few more spots at UNC offers the same.

• Love
Realistically, should we even be expecting to see much more movement?

1) one person got off the WL earlier this week points to the fact there might not be many (if any) vacant seats. I mean the waitlist isn't ranked so I guess the committee has to meet (to some extent) to pick someone, but it seems unlikely the committee wouldn't have filled all or as many of the vacant seats when they met earlier this week

2) how would more seats become vacant at this point to cause movement? I have no idea about how PTE and narrowing down to 1 school is enforced, but I feel like the majority of ppl are truly holding 1 acceptance. Thus, it seems the only way seats become vacant at this point is if accepted applicants get off the WL at other schools and withdraw from UNC

Sorry not trying to dampen people's hope, and would love it if someone could poke holes in my speculation here. But I just don't see how to expect more movement unless the committee is just sitting on vacancies and hasn't gotten around to them yet, or if a good amount of ppl are still PTEd at multiple schools. Both seem unlikely

1) one person got off the WL earlier this week points to the fact there might not be many (if any) vacant seats. I mean the waitlist isn't ranked so I guess the committee has to meet (to some extent) to pick someone, but it seems unlikely the committee wouldn't have filled all or as many of the vacant seats when they met earlier this week

2) how would more seats become vacant at this point to cause movement? I have no idea about how PTE and narrowing down to 1 school is enforced, but I feel like the majority of ppl are truly holding 1 acceptance. Thus, it seems the only way seats become vacant at this point is if accepted applicants get off the WL at other schools and withdraw from UNC

Sorry not trying to dampen people's hope, and would love it if someone could poke holes in my speculation here. But I just don't see how to expect more movement unless the committee is just sitting on vacancies and hasn't gotten around to them yet, or if a good amount of ppl are still PTEd at multiple schools. Both seem unlikely
I agree with the points that you are making and with those that everyone else is making as well. The truth is that no matter how much we speculate, we can't truly know what is happening with the waitlist situation. It may just be that people are getting off the waitlist and just not reporting it. SDN is a small sample of the total population, and only a handful of us are active on this thread :( Nonetheless, we are in a pandemic and things may be slowing down. Stay positive and hopeful, but also remember to work on your back up plan in case things don't pan out the way we want them to. I truly hope that more of us do get off of this waitlist though!

I don't know much about how med schools deal with filling their classes, but I would like to think that every school holds a certain number of spots for their waitlisted candidates. It will be a bit cruel to hold a bunch of people on the waitlist if the only reason is to wait and see if one or two people will drop off. UNC might be a bit dodgy in how they are getting people off but I would imagine even they have a certain percentage or number of class seats reserved for students on the waitlist.

I think it’s just fine to hold on to hope as long as we’re also planning for the possibility of not getting in, which many of us are! I really do think these things take time and there are a lot of factors we won’t be able to understand. Last year people continued to get in after May 15th up till the 31st, a friend even told me someone even got off WL in June! Why? Who knows, but I choose to remain cautiously optimistic because that’s all we can do.

I don't disagree with you that things look a little bleak at this point, but I think there's still plenty of reason to expect more movement. True, not everyone reports on SDN, but having just one seems unrealistic compared to previous years. It seems like they adjusted their strategy, but it's hard to imagine an effect of this order, where they wait list more people but accept much fewer than previous years. To your specific points - I would expect nothing less than delayed decisions from UNC. I love them and would go there in a heartbeat, but timely decisions have not been their strong point this cycle. There's no way to really know, and I personally plan to act like I didn't get in here as far as decision making goes. Still, it seems like at least a few of us will still get off!

I also know people got of the waitlist in July last year, and at least one person within days of orientation. I’m guess the majority will be in May, and they’ve probably adjusted their strategy this year, but I think there is still a real possibility people will continued to be accepted through July

I GOT ACCEPTED!!!! Got the call about an hour ago, been too busy happy-sobbing on the floor to post about it

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Congratulations to you both! So happy for y’all!

• Love