UNC School of Medicine Waitlist 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you been waitlisted IS or OOS?

• Total voters
Until monday fellow WLers.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
2 of us were accepted on Friday-see regular UNC thread, One was applying for the third time, which indicates that UNC does look upon re-apps favorably.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, does UNC tend to choose people off the waitlist who do not already have an acceptance to another school (i.e. they do not have a plan to enroll school selected on the choose your medical school tool).

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious, does UNC tend to choose people off the waitlist who do not already have an acceptance to another school (i.e. they do not have a plan to enroll school selected on the choose your medical school tool).

I have no insider information, but I'm pretty sure all three people who posted they got off the WL here did not have any other acceptances. The other WL A from Friday said they didn't, I didn't, and the first WL A poster hasn't posted on any other threads which leads me to believe they probably didn't. Could be a coincidence though, as there have been other WL As not posted.

I have no insider information, but I'm pretty sure all three people who posted they got off the WL here did not have any other acceptances. The other WL A from Friday said they didn't, I didn't, and the first WL A poster hasn't posted on any other threads which leads me to believe they probably didn't. Could be a coincidence though, as there have been other WL As not posted.
Congrats to all of you :happy: Yes I also know another person who got in off the WL during a previous app cycle and that was also their first acceptance. But yeah it is hard to tell for sure without a larger sample size. I am so grateful for having another acceptance to fall back on, and I am so happy for everyone who gets in ESPECIALLY if this is a first acceptance (CONGRATS UNC is an amazing school!), it is just that remaining in-state would be better for me for personal reasons. I guess all there is left to do is to continue to be patient for the next ~2 months haha.

• Love
I feel this so deeply, super thankful for already having an A but after having an amazing weekend with my family it reminded me how nice it would be to be close to my home and support system! Next week is a new week and another chance at being overly hopeful though! Haha

Congrats to all of you :happy: Yes I also know another person who got in off the WL during a previous app cycle and that was also their first acceptance. But yeah it is hard to tell for sure without a larger sample size. I am so grateful for having another acceptance to fall back on, and I am so happy for everyone who gets in ESPECIALLY if this is a first acceptance (CONGRATS UNC is an amazing school!), it is just that remaining in-state would be better for me for personal reasons. I guess all there is left to do is to continue to be patient for the next ~2 months haha.

• Love
I feel this so deeply, super thankful for already having an A but after having an amazing weekend with my family it reminded me how nice it would be to be close to my home and support system! Next week is a new week and another chance at being overly hopeful though! Haha

Exactly this is why I wish that UNC allowed letters of intent. I have so many reasons why I would like to go to UNC (that I feel I did not get to fully convey in my interviews and secondaries) and I would commit so hard to UNC lol.

• Love
I thought schools can’t see what other schools you’ve been accepted to now that they’ve changed the traffic rules?? Or is that just until the decision date?

I thought schools can’t see what other schools you’ve been accepted to now that they’ve changed the traffic rules?? Or is that just until the decision date?
From what I understand, medical schools can see if you have selected plan to enroll, but they are unable to see which school.

1589771807683.png

Source: AMCAS® Choose Your Medical School Tool under "How Does This Tool Work?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, med schools can see whether you hold an acceptance or not, just not where.

Anyway, speaking from experience, it would appear that schools are factoring that in. I was accepted off of another waitlist and the first thing the dean said was "Hi, this is Dr. Dean, is this doctorateintraderjoeswine? I just want to confirm that you are not holding an acceptance at this time?" Me: "Um no" Him: "Would you like to attend this school?" Me: "Um YES."

I guess they want their class filled as quickly as possible, and people not already holding an acceptance are fairly sure shots.

• Wow
Yeah, med schools can see whether you hold an acceptance or not, just not where.

Anyway, speaking from experience, it would appear that schools are factoring that in. I was accepted off of another waitlist and the first thing the dean said was "Hi, this is Dr. Dean, is this doctorateintraderjoeswine? I just want to confirm that you are not holding an acceptance at this time?" Me: "Um no" Him: "Would you like to attend this school?" Me: "Um YES."

I guess they want their class filled as quickly as possible, and people not already holding an acceptance are fairly sure shots.
Wow congrats! I hope this is true for UNC, thanks for clarifying!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats on the acceptance future doctor! But honestly I find the logic of the Dean somewhat skewed...if you told the Dean, "hey I actually got accepted off of the waitlist at another school yesterday, but your school is a top choice for me!" would he have hung up the phone? And schools have to give applicants at least 5 days to accept the offer since we are in May, 5 days is not that long to wait to hear back from the student, and I am sure a lot of people would accept/reject the offer sooner. If UNC is truly weighing whether or not people already have an acceptance as a major factor for who they accept off the waitlist, then they should allow letters of intent to put context to these acceptances. Someone may have been accepted to a school thousands of miles away already, but would commit to UNC right away if they were accepted because they have family, a SO, etc in NC or because it is a better school than where they were originally accepted. Someone may be accepted off of the UNC waitlist, but then receive 2 other waitlist acceptances a week after their UNC one. I understand that there are two sides to do this, because they are some AMAZING applicants that med schools probably look at and say "I cannot believe they have not been accepted anywhere yet!" But I think the fairest thing to do is to rank the waitlist prior to April 30th (before med schools can see if someone has selected plan to enroll).

But I think the fairest thing to do is to rank the waitlist prior to April 30th (before med schools can see if someone has selected plan to enroll).

I agree with what you're saying. I really don't know what would've happened if I were like "oh actually I am holding another acceptance." I do think it was weird that he asked. I was more offering my experience to suggest that it is something adcoms think about, since the dean explicitly asked me about it. Not that it is something they weight heavily.

I also agree that ranking the waitlist prior to 4/30 would be more fair. But the adcoms would argue that there's no way to "rank" applicants. They want a diverse class, and they revisit their waitlist when someone drops to reassess the class's diversity and how a given WL'd applicant might contribute to it. But yeah, the ball is completely in the adcoms court and they are running with it. Thus why application --> hearing back from schools is literally a 10-14 month process, when for grad schools and law schools it's like 3 months.

Yeah exactly, I think adcoms can still make the class diverse by making sure people ranked highest in the waitlist are diverse from each other I guess...plus plenty of schools have ranked waitlists and they still manage to maintain diversity. Overall, I do think medical school admissions need to be more transparent and have universal deadlines for applications, interviews, and decisions so the cycle does not drag on for a large portion of applicants for over a year.

Congrats on the acceptance future doctor! But honestly I find the logic of the Dean somewhat skewed...if you told the Dean, "hey I actually got accepted off of the waitlist at another school yesterday, but your school is a top choice for me!" would he have hung up the phone? And schools have to give applicants at least 5 days to accept the offer since we are in May, 5 days is not that long to wait to hear back from the student, and I am sure a lot of people would accept/reject the offer sooner. If UNC is truly weighing whether or not people already have an acceptance as a major factor for who they accept off the waitlist, then they should allow letters of intent to put context to these acceptances. Someone may have been accepted to a school thousands of miles away already, but would commit to UNC right away if they were accepted because they have family, a SO, etc in NC or because it is a better school than where they were originally accepted. Someone may be accepted off of the UNC waitlist, but then receive 2 other waitlist acceptances a week after their UNC one. I understand that there are two sides to do this, because they are some AMAZING applicants that med schools probably look at and say "I cannot believe they have not been accepted anywhere yet!" But I think the fairest thing to do is to rank the waitlist prior to April 30th (before med schools can see if someone has selected plan to enroll).

agreed!

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe Friday is the new Monday? Lol #pleaseacceptme

• Love
I'm afraid this whole pandemic situation is going to lead to less WL movement for us in-staters due to a lack of second looks at OOS schools and people preferring to remain close to home.

• Sad
I'm afraid this whole pandemic situation is going to lead to less WL movement for us in-staters due to a lack of second looks at OOS schools and people preferring to remain close to home.
Would there also be less enrollment due to the pandemic and more people deferring? I know that's happening for undergraduates but not sure about med school

I'm not sure if UNC is offering deferrals but I can't imagine a significant number of applicants would choose to defer

Agreed. I just cannot understand how they have not made more WL decisions at this point. It's May 20th. Do y'all think that the WL was so large that they've already filled the class?

Agreed. I just cannot understand how they have not made more WL decisions at this point. It's May 20th. Do y'all think that the WL was so large that they've already filled the class?

I think it's probably a mixture of making a larger than usual WL due to all of the uncertainty and a greater initial retention rate.

I think it's probably a mixture of making a larger than usual WL due to all of the uncertainty and a greater initial retention rate.
It's also possible, since WL isn't ranked, that COVID has delayed adcom review of WL to fill vacant seats. I doubt the whole committee gets together to review WL apps, so if it's just the dean who makes the decision or a smaller subcommittee then not sure if COVID would be causing any delays. If you look at last week, one person posted Monday then two more on Friday, so not sure if last Monday they pulled enough WL ppl to fill every seat, and then later in the week more spots opened causing whatever subcommittee/ dean to review the WL again to again fill every seat. But who knows. This process is so vague and ik it's not their intention to cause mental anguish to us WLers but it sure does

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like all of us, esp those with no As, keep bouncing back and forth between "there's a chance I can get in still" vs "no way I get in." And while it would be a moral blow to us still waiting, an update at the end of the month or something telling us as of now all seats are filled would go a long way.

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like all of us, esp those with no As, keep bouncing back and forth between "there's a chance I can get in still" vs "no way I get in." And while it would be a moral blow to us still waiting, an update at the end of the month or something telling us as of now all seats are filled would go a long way.

I agree. I also bounce back and forth between those thoughts. However, we have to remain positive. I have known people to be accepted in July. I do believe there is still a chance for us!

Do you think that the adcom takes into account how long an applicant has been a resident of NC?
It's certainly possible. I'm not sure, though. They might think about it in general terms - moved to the state for college, family is in-state, etc. I don't know how much that would factor into an admissions decision unless they think you're likely to leave as soon as your degree is awarded.

SO true!!!!!

My exact thought process. Although I’m guessing after the initial group of waitlisters were let in it’s just gonna be a steady trickle until orientation as accepted students get off other waitlists and withdraw and continue the cycle

Also just some food for thought- The sunday right before the first waitlist acceptance on SDN, the facebook page sat at about 175-176 members. Then there were three acceptances last week. Today it is at 179. I do realize that both SDN and fb may be smaller samples when compared to the actual records but it does indicate that maybe adcom is pulling off a handful of people at a time, especially if it is just a few people reviewing apps just as @TryingToStayOptimistic123 said previously. Because of COVID, maybe we'll see substantial movement in early June as well since there isn't a set deadline for waitlist movement to stop (other than Jul 29 but that's kinda far out).

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Hi, I just found this thread and thought I would join as I’m also on the UNC waitlist. I haven’t heard anything yet but I know of one other person who was also on the waitlist that ended up accepting another waitlist invitation. So good news is that’s one more spot for us!

Reactions: 6 users
Also just some food for thought- The sunday right before the first waitlist acceptance on SDN, the facebook page sat at about 175-176 members. Then there were three acceptances last week. Today it is at 179. I do realize that both SDN and fb may be smaller samples when compared to the actual records but it does indicate that maybe adcom is pulling off a handful of people at a time, especially if it is just a few people reviewing apps just as @TryingToStayOptimistic123 said previously. Because of COVID, maybe we'll see substantial movement in early June as well since there isn't a set deadline for waitlist movement to stop (other than Jul 29 but that's kinda far out).
Of course if all 179 FB members were accepted and enrolling, it would mean that there are very few waitlist spots left. Are we thinking that the FB group has many other types of people on it? Parents? Faculty? Advisors?

The page has 2 admins, 1 faculty member, and a couple of MS1s and MS2s posting about housing.

Source: I'm in it! I'm on this thread waiting for my friend to get off of the WL!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Of course if all 179 FB members were accepted and enrolling, it would mean that there are very few waitlist spots left. Are we thinking that the FB group has many other types of people on it? Parents? Faculty? Advisors?
I think so! The fb page for UNC SOM class of 2023 has 300+ members but the class size is only 190 so it does point toward the possibility of other people in the group.

The page has 2 admins, 1 faculty member, and a couple of MS1s and MS2s posting about housing.

Source: I'm in it! I'm on this thread waiting for my friend to get off of the WL!
Thanks for the insider information!!!

Also cronuts are actually amazing, might go indulge to distract myself from the pain of waiting for potentially nothing lol

• Haha
I'm also currently on the waitlist but wanted to jump in and add to FB page discussion to ease some worries (although I totally get it I'm overanalyzing everything at this point lol)! My friend who is an incoming UNC pharm student joined the UNC SOM class of 2024 FB page in hopes of finding a roommate and said she wasn't the only one doing this. I don't know anything about WL movement but wanted to add to the point that not everyone being added to that page is even a med student!

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone seen that UNC undergrad is planning to start and end the fall semester early? Wondering what that means for the SOM

Wanted to let you all know that I got the A today at 3pm EST! So excited!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users