UNC School of Medicine Waitlist 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you been waitlisted IS or OOS?

• Total voters
If I get another call from NC about my cars extended warranty I’m gonna lose my ****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
If I get another call from NC about my cars extended warranty I’m gonna lose my ****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol I just started blocking every 919 telemarketer

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I was looking on ECU's thread and saw they are trimming their waitlist w the expectation that few if any will make it off at this point. Does anyone think this is due to communication with other in state schools like UNC communicating their class is also full? Anyone try to contact UNC admissions to get any updates? It may be explaining the lack of offers the past two weeks :(

Reactions: 2 users
If the UNC class is close to full, it would be nice for the ADCOM to release many of us on the current waitlist.
At this point, is there any reason to remain hopeful?
UNC is not answering the phone because they are working remoe

Great question, possibly some who were WL previous cycles could help answer.

Yeah I’m starting to give up hope given no one has posted about getting off the waitlist in what? 2 weeks? But I guess no one posted about it after May last year and I know for a fact people got off the waitlist after then

They may be in the process of deciding on class size and format. I recall that they were going to increase the class size to 200 this year, however given that medical schools such as Harvard have chosen to go remote for all first years, their admissions decisions have become more complicated. That said, we all need to make plans for next year and the lack of communication from UNC dooms us to remain in purgatory.

They may be in the process of deciding on class size and format. I recall that they were going to increase the class size to 200 this year, however given that medical schools such as Harvard have chosen to go remote for all first years, their admissions decisions have become more complicated. That said, we all need to make plans for next year and the lack of communication from UNC dooms us to remain in purgatory.
How do you think that would affect their decisions?

Members don't see this ad :)

When I saw people talking about the class size increasing to 200 I was excited to hear that too. But wasn't there something either in this thread or the main UNC thread where someone said that the increase wouldn't happen until the new medical school building was complete (in 2-3 yrs)? I hope you're right that the plan was start having the increased class size this year...

Last edited:
If the UNC class is close to full, it would be nice for the ADCOM to release many of us on the current waitlist.
At this point, is there any reason to remain hopeful?
UNC is not answering the phone because they are working remoe

I’m in the class groupme, & someone recently posted that they were just accepted Monday. So there is still hope!

Reactions: 6 users
With the lack of communication I'm starting to wonder if I am even on the wait list. My portal says "Application Status-Decided" and not "waitlist". Does anyone else's say this? Does it mean I'm on the wait list or not?

Reactions: 1 user
With the lack of communication I'm starting to wonder if I am even on the wait list. My portal says "Application Status-Decided" and not "waitlist". Does anyone else's say this? Does it mean I'm on the wait list or not?
If you replied to the waitlist email, yes. My portal also says decided, but I am definitely on the waitlist.

Fb has 190 people. Granted a few will be non-MS1.

at this point hope isnt worth it..just saying.

I acknowledge this is a place to vent, and I hate getting let down after keeping hopes up, but what you said was just plain dumb. There’s no purpose to that kind of attitude, and to those reading that feel even worse after reading that comment, don’t. It’s been repeatedly said that people got off the waitlist in June and July. Again, I’m not particularly confident about a sudden wave of movement, but then again 99% of anything that’s been said on this thread has speculation. Hope is a driving force when there seems no point anymore. I agree that people should prepare for a denial to be safe, but it should be done through hopeful preparation, not just giving up. As physicians and humans we’ll face much harder than this, and will need hope more than ever then. Recognize that your words affect others.

Reactions: 5 users
I acknowledge this is a place to vent, and I hate getting let down after keeping hopes up, but what you said was just plain dumb. There’s no purpose to that kind of attitude, and to those reading that feel even worse after reading that comment, don’t. It’s been repeatedly said that people got off the waitlist in June and July. Again, I’m not particularly confident about a sudden wave of movement, but then again 99% of anything that’s been said on this thread has speculation. Hope is a driving force when there seems no point anymore. I agree that people should prepare for a denial to be safe, but it should be done through hopeful preparation, not just giving up. As physicians and humans we’ll face much harder than this, and will need hope more than ever then. Recognize that your words affect others.
Okay dude. I can sugar coat it for you if you want that.

Well said and inspiring!

Well said and inspiring!

I agree completely! I am still going to start the re-app process, however we cannot submit for 2021 until we have been released from WL status, correct?

I agree completely! I am still going to start the re-app process, however we cannot submit for 2021 until we have been released from WL status, correct?
It’s worth submitting primary to get it verified atleast

Duke's commit to enroll deadline is today, maybe that might cause a little bit of WL movement for UNC? Who knows though...

Reactions: 3 users
been lurking here (I did fill out the poll up top back in March or whenever) but figured I'd comment that I just now withdrew from the UNC waitlist in favor of the acceptance I already hold. crossing my fingers that y'all still waiting on a decision hear good news soon.

Reactions: 4 users
been lurking here (I did fill out the poll up top back in March or whenever) but figured I'd comment that I just now withdrew from the UNC waitlist in favor of the acceptance I already hold. crossing my fingers that y'all still waiting on a decision hear good news soon.
Congrats!! All the best for a great journey through med school and beyond!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone had any sort of success getting any updates or insider info regarding this schools waitlist? I’m assuming it’s largely over except maybe a couple spots... I just need confirmation to put me out of my misery

Has anyone had any sort of success getting any updates or insider info regarding this schools waitlist? I’m assuming it’s largely over except maybe a couple spots... I just need confirmation to put me out of my misery
I sent an email last week and I haven't received a response yet. The optimistic side of me wants to think that UNC is just moving slowly, and with many school's CTE occurring over the next few weeks, I hope this will open up more spots. I'm staying hopeful that there is more movement coming, but I'm planning as if there isn't going to be.

Yup it’s still active. Join us. But please be careful because someone accidentally deleted the general thread in here once already.

I have an upcoming commit to enroll. Looks like I’ll be withdrawing from waitlist

Reactions: 4 users
I pretend to be rejected on weekends for some sanity. I am worried for tomorrow because it's Monday and I can't pretend anymore... I'm assuming for those of us still on the WL, we may not hear till UNC's CTE deadline?

Are you guys asking because you think there will be WL movement after the CTE date? Or denials?

There’s probs better places to post this but I’m planning to move for grad school in about a month and found some roommates who want me to sign a lease soon that’s strict about subletting and breaking the contract. So I really don’t know what to do because in the off chance I got off the waitlist here they could sue me If anyone has any info about chances of getting off the waitlist at this point/how many people have been getting off recently they could share it’d be much appreciated

There’s probs better places to post this but I’m planning to move for grad school in about a month and found some roommates who want me to sign a lease soon that’s strict about subletting and breaking the contract. So I really don’t know what to do because in the off chance I got off the waitlist here they could sue me If anyone has any info about chances of getting off the waitlist at this point/how many people have been getting off recently they could share it’d be much appreciated
Does your lease agreement state you can't break the lease? Most leases have a clause for what is owed if you were to break a lease earlier than what was agreed to. You may want to start there or just find somewhere else that may suit this uncertainty better (couch surf, monthly-to-month leases).
Also, no one has a clue about the number of vacancies left or the chances (at least those I have spoken to or who posted here). I am hopeful there will continue to be the movement, but I feel the likelihood of movement dropping as the month goes by.

Does your lease agreement state you can't break the lease? Most leases have a clause for what is owed if you were to break a lease earlier than what was agreed to. You may want to start there or just find somewhere else that may suit this uncertainty better (couch surf, monthly-to-month leases).
Also, no one has a clue about the number of vacancies left or the chances (at least those I have spoken to or who posted here). I am hopeful there will continue to be the movement, but I feel the likelihood of movement dropping as the month goes by.
yeah there’s no clause about what the penalty would be and legally I would be liable for 12 months rent if I sign so it would depend on how forgiving my landlord would be in that situation. I know I could probably find something last minute/month to month if need be but location/budgetwise I’d probably take a big loss. I’m hoping I can work it out to sign the lease later but we’ll see. thanks for the insight!

yeah there’s no clause about what the penalty would be and legally I would be liable for 12 months rent if I sign so it would depend on how forgiving my landlord would be in that situation. I know I could probably find something last minute/month to month if need be but location/budgetwise I’d probably take a big loss. I’m hoping I can work it out to sign the lease later but we’ll see. thanks for the insight!
You might also explain the situation to the landlord/ leasing agent beforehand. I was setting up a lease recently and they were willing to write in language allowing me to drop the lease up until UNC’s orientation day as long as I provided them with proof that I got in when/if that happened.

What does the commit to enroll date mean? If the date is July 8, when do I have to commit by? Is it before July 8 like on July 7 at 11:59, is it by business hours on July 8 or July 8 at 11:59 pm?

• Dislike
It is likely July 8th at 11:59 PM EDT, though it would be wise to CTE in advance of that by at least 5 minutes :)