UNC School of Medicine Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Were you waitlisted?

• IS- I was waitlisted

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • OOS- I was waitlisted

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

millepora

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I am sure of none of us have any idea how big the waitlist is this year, maybe we can gauge a minimum of how many they might have waitlisted through a poll here. Or we can say for every SDN member waitlisted there a two actual offers in the population...lol.

Btw, does anybody know how big it was in the prior years?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Alright I'm in. Make the poll and I'll cast my vote.

My guess is 100. Don't ask me why, it just seems like a good number

Members don't see this ad :)
The forum from last year indicated the wait-list only contained 35 applicants. However, I am unsure of the validity of this information.

That's what I remember seeing there too. Though, if that is the case almost everyone would get accepted off the waitlist, because according to the 2007 and 2008 statistics, about 30 defer acceptance. So I am not sure how accurate that is.

That's what I remember seeing there too. Though, if that is the case almost everyone would get accepted off the waitlist, because according to the 2007 and 2008 statistics, about 30 defer acceptance. So I am not sure how accurate that is.

I believe someone posted in the UNC thread about this. According to this person, by the time UNC makes their wait list, they have already given out acceptances beyond the number of available seats (let's say they usually have to accept 30 over their class size in order to fill it- by now they would have already given out those 190 acceptances to fill a 160 class). People on the wait list are only accepted if more than the estimated 30 people drop their acceptances.
I hope this isn't how it works, but I have no idea.

Last edited:
yikes! That sounds quite ballsy on UNC's part...lol.

yikes! That sounds quite ballsy on UNC's part...lol.

hah yeah I don't quite understand why a school would run the risk of overestimating the number of withdrawals and ending up with an over-filled class. Why not just wait and accept people from the wait list as others withdraw? I'm hoping that this isn't the way most schools do things or it seems the wait list would move by only a few people.

I believe someone posted in the UNC thread about this. According to this person, by the time UNC makes their wait list, they have already given out acceptances beyond the number of available seats (let's say they usually have to accept 30 over their class size in order to fill it- by now they would have already given out those 190 acceptances to fill a 160 class). People on the wait list are only accepted if more than the estimated 30 people drop their acceptances.
I hope this isn't how it works, but I have no idea.
Yeah, I'm still a little confused on this myself. For example, I know that Brody (ECU) has started sending out waitlist notices, but according to their website they have only made 78 offers and they say it usually takes 100-125 offers to fill a class. I realize that it's a different school, but it seems that this would suggest that ECU expects to end up accepting between 20-50 people off the waitlist. Too bad I haven't found anywhere that UNC posts those numbers. Also, any idea if UNC ever provides you with a ranking of where you stand on the waitlist?

Yeah, I'm still a little confused on this myself. For example, I know that Brody (ECU) has started sending out waitlist notices, but according to their website they have only made 78 offers and they say it usually takes 100-125 offers to fill a class. I realize that it's a different school, but it seems that this would suggest that ECU expects to end up accepting between 20-50 people off the waitlist. Too bad I haven't found anywhere that UNC posts those numbers. Also, any idea if UNC ever provides you with a ranking of where you stand on the waitlist?
Disregard my last post, i just realized those numbers are two weeks old, I'll have to see what the final "offers" number looks like when they update again on the 15th.

The facebook group has grown to 115! :scared:

I hope some of those members are other years just joining the group...

I talked to a lady on the admission committee and she said the waiting list is not ranked. The Dean has the last say on who is taken off the waiting list and he bases his decision on who would add to the diversity of the class....diversity being all aspects (ie. racially, social economically, etc.). She said the list should start moving mid May thru the first week in June. After June, forget about (her words, not mine). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to a lady on the admission committee and she said the waiting list is not ranked. The Dean has the last say on who is taken off the waiting list and he bases his decision on who would add to the diversity of the class....diversity being all aspects (ie. racially, social economically, etc.). She said the list should start moving mid May thru the first week in June. After June, forget about (her words, not mine). Good luck!

Alright. Most of this is correct... Mid May is when deposits can no longer be refunded... many will drop then. June 1st is the deadline to claim one school... most will drop by then.

UNC accepts more than 160 applicants. They've done the math well. My GUESS is that they accepted 175ish, expecting 15 to drop. For a fact, I know that once it dips under 160, then the waitlist is utilized. Historically, its always utilized.

I would agree that only about 35 are on the waitlist. Additionally, I believe it is ranked. I can't imagine more than 10 people getting off the waitlist any give year.

Good luck with everything.

Thanks for the input.

I just question one thing. I thought it was an AAMC rule that the date for holding multiple acceptances was May 15th, not June 1st.

The date is May 15th not June 1st. Almost all schools over accept, realizing that x% will not take the offer. It makes much more sense to over accept, than to pull so many from the waitlist- though keep in mind every school is completely different, there is absolutely no standard admissions process. Im sure they always give themselves a safe margin to ensure that they dont end up with too many, but it is a given that not everyone will accept an offer, as many will get better offers elsewhere. So I heard UNC has a 35 person waitlist (pure hearsay, but from one of the daughters of a committee member- who knows?), and I have heard that between 10-20 get in off the waitlist (see above.), though it varies highly from year to year. It sure didn't feel like that many when I was waitlisted last year. This is all hearsay, but I think it may be good info unless someone else has better. I was waitlisted last year, and rejected outright this year.

The diversity comment is interesting though. But I have heard almost all schools pull like for like off the waitlist- i.e. instate girl for instate girl, and out of state guy will get an out of state guy of the waitlist to maintain the 50/50 male female distribution and the 140 IS 20 OOS distribution. Thats why the waitlist *cannot* be ranked. It all depends on who turns down the spots. Within those pools, there must be some ranking or decision making done to see who will add to the diversity or who is the better candidate- though it may be a subjective decision rather than anything else. I do not think UNC uses a "score" based admissions system like MUSC or Duke, where everything has a numerical value- I think its a group of people sitting around and discussing. We know from the sub-committee/committee system and our adcom reps that this must be how its done.

Goodluck guys. I think 3 people got in last year from SDN, though we have no clue what type of sample size that is (i.e. how many of those W/Lers are actually on here)

Last edited:
I talked to a lady on the admission committee and she said the waiting list is not ranked.

I was told by two sources (both of whom are on the committee) that the waitlist is definitely ranked.

It looks like om med2010 also got their info from someone on the committee, so who knows which info is valid, but I thought I'd share.

I was told by two sources (both of whom are on the committee) that the waitlist is definitely ranked.

It looks like om med2010 also got their info from someone on the committee, so who knows which info is valid, but I thought I'd share.

Yea...maybe the admissions committee members really have know idea what their process is, so she told me something to make me feel better...lol. I asked the admissions committee lady about the "like-for-like" thing and she said, "Not exactly." So who knows. I'm done trying to figure out these people. If I get the call, I get the call. If not, their loss! I know of 3 people for sure who got in through the W/L last year, so perhaps everyone's chances are pretty good.

Yesterday should have been the committee meeting, did anyone get off the waitlist last night?

Yesterday should have been the committee meeting, did anyone get off the waitlist last night?

Interesting... I thought the list was entirely in the Dean's hands at this point. I didn't realize there were more committee meetings. Anyone know more about this?

Interesting... I thought the list was entirely in the Dean's hands at this point. I didn't realize there were more committee meetings. Anyone know more about this?

I don't remember her saying anything about committee meetings. She said they can make recommendations to the Dean but after that, it's up to him. And I'm pretty confident the list will NOT be moving until May. Additionally, they have no need to deliberate if people aren't withdrawing their acceptances.

This thread has been pretty quiet for a while, I assume nobody has heard anything new and we're all just waiting for May 15th?

May 15th it is...There'll a lot of movement between May 15th and June 1st.

Nothing for me either. I called and asked if it was ranked a few weeks ago ... and they said no. No other information. I wish they would at least tell us how many people are on the WL. Good luck guys.

That's odd, I wonder why they would do something like that.

who called you? Did the admissions office call or was it your interviewer? Congrats! Did they tell you any information?

That's odd, I wonder why they would do something like that.
Dr. Bashford was on the phone when they tried to transfer me to him yesterday and he didn't get a chance to call me back before he had to leave. He called me this afternoon though so I'll be seeing you in August!

who called you? Did the admissions office call or was it your interviewer? Congrats! Did they tell you any information?
The call came from Joni (the interview coordinator) and she transfers you to Dr. Bashford who tells you that you've been accepted. I didn't get much info, just that I was accepted and that they would be mailing me a packet.

Good luck everybody, hope to see you in August.

Congratulations to both of you :thumbup:. I can't imagine getting the phone call. I'm pretty sure I would have a heart attack and tell Dr. Bashford that I love him :). He would definitely change his mind. Hopefully more spots open up! What are you guys' stats, if you dont mind me asking?

Hey Guys. Has anybody else received a call from UNC regarding their application? They called me this morning to verify something ... and I think I almost had a heart attack seeing the phone number.

Hey Guys. Has anybody else received a call from UNC regarding their application? They called me this morning to verify something ... and I think I almost had a heart attack seeing the phone number.

Nope, can't say that's ever happened to me. Maybe that's a good thing! Good luck...:luck:

I got in today as well...I'm in state.

My wife and I were both accepted on the 17th as well. We are in-state....It's so nice to be done with this process. :D

Weird, did they want to verify some of your ECs? Well hopefully that means good news is coming your way.

Weird, did they want to verify some of your ECs? Well hopefully that means good news is coming your way.

No, they wanted to verify how long I have lived in state -- exact date I moved here. Congrats to everybody that got in!

My wife and I were both accepted on the 17th as well. We are in-state....It's so nice to be done with this process. :D

Congratulations on your acceptance! It seems like you got into several schools. Are you taking the UNC acceptance or going elsewhere?

i think they stopped taking ppl off of the waitlist... i got an update from Eric Shuler that thanked me for my interest and rejected outright

I never got that email. I am on the waitlist, though...

Has anyone got accepted off the waitlist since the 17th?

Would anyone be open to starting a new poll to see how many people remain on the waitlist after the latest rounds of acceptances and rejections? It may just make things too confusing... I'd just like to gauge everyone's interest.

Well, if I were to make an estimate based on the 2 members for every SDN member. I would say there was 10 rejected and 10 accepted. Which would leave around 15 to 20 still on.

The new poll is located in a thread titled 2009-2010 UNC School of Medicine NEW POLL. Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.