UNC Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CA-MedStudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if its better to do Option 1, the essay, or Option 2, the list, on their secondary. Just looking for opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, for what it's worth, I did the list...and haven't heard a thing from them in over two months.

they give you an option...therefore, it doesnt matter. as long as you put thought into the one you do

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I worried about this too, but I did the list of 5 qualities and got an interview a couple weeks later. Neither of my interviewers mentioned or even alluded to the secondary app, mostly just chatted with me, so I don't know if it's such a big deal. I am an in-state applicant, I don't know if that matters....

Yes, it matters that you're in state, you're secondary was your interview invite. It's just a formality to hand it in before scheduling your interview.

About the essay . . . if they cared they wouldn't give you a choice. I wrote the essay because I thought I had a good answer for it, and I think listing qualities about myself is kinda cheesy, and I didn't want to get grilled about what qualities I wrote down in an interview. Plus, the essay gave me a chance to highlight an activity that I had been doing after I filed my AMCAS.

Do what ever one is going to give them the most good information about you.

I worried about this too, but I did the list of 5 qualities and got an interview a couple weeks later. Neither of my interviewers mentioned or even alluded to the secondary app, mostly just chatted with me, so I don't know if it's such a big deal. I am an in-state applicant, I don't know if that matters....

How long after they received your primary did you get the secondary?

Last edited:
Yes, it matters that you're in state, you're secondary was your interview invite. It's just a formality to hand it in before scheduling your interview.

About the essay . . . if they cared they wouldn't give you a choice. I wrote the essay because I thought I had a good answer for it, and I think listing qualities about myself is kinda cheesy, and I didn't want to get grilled about what qualities I wrote down in an interview. Plus, the essay gave me a chance to highlight an activity that I had been doing after I filed my AMCAS.

Do what ever one is going to give them the most good information about you.

They definitely don't look down on the list. Be very prepared to answer questions about the list in your interview though. My adcom interviewer asked me things like "in what way are you x", or "what have you done to prove that you are x" with points directly from the bullet points that I wrote. As long as you can answer those type things it is a good way to get points across to the committee while avoiding having to write another essay. Hope that helps. Good luck with UNC!:luck:

My AMCAS was verified on July 22nd, and I didn't get contacted about the UNC secondary until September 14th - pretty slow, I was definitely nervous there for a while.... :)

Thanks!!! Any other NC residents who received secondaries? What was your timeline?