UNC vs. Mayo vs. BID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jackie1.

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After completing the interview trail and doing research on the stats of each program and what they do for fellowships, I've realized that UNC is the most underrated program on SDN. They have very cool residents, awesome fellowship placements (I want to do GI), and a great location. But with location aside, how would you guys rate UNC with the two I mentioned as well as how you consider tham as a top 15 program in IM? Before you respond, consider that the NorthEast places are overrepresented in this forum, so take that into account. BID is the "least" of the Harvards in my opinion but I think the choice between UNC and BID is a toss up.
Any inputs would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Jackie1. said:
After completing the interview trail and doing research on the stats of each program and what they do for fellowships, I've realized that UNC is the most underrated program on SDN. They have very cool residents, awesome fellowship placements (I want to do GI), and a great location. But with location aside, how would you guys rate UNC with the two I mentioned as well as how you consider tham as a top 15 program in IM? Before you respond, consider that the NorthEast places are overrepresented in this forum, so take that into account. BID is the "least" of the Harvards in my opinion but I think the choice between UNC and BID is a toss up.
Any inputs would be greatly appreciated
I think, of the 3, Mayo has the best program. It has the name, the reputation, and the quality, and it's not "the third". It's Mayo. For BID, after asking around a lot and investigating, I definitely feel that there is a sense (even if wrong) that the BIDers are the MGHers wannabe or the BWers wannabe.

I also have interviewed at UNC, Mayo, and BIDMC, and I have to agree that I was very pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the UNC program. Great residents and a very stable financial situation (i.e. the entire hospital complex keeps expanding). Can't comment about the attendings there though--assuming they are good, but did not see them in action except in the resident-run morning report. Mayo is Mayo--tremendous clincal research environment with very inquisitive attendings, but my impressions of the residents (which is only an opinion of mine) is that they are a cut below UNC and BIDMC. Also, in speaking with former program directors, Mayo is still not perceived as a elite IM program despite all of the accolades it receives. As for the BIDMC, I absolutely love this place. Did a sub-I there, and I found the attendings to be very personable, and very sharp. The residents were so friendly and I never got the impression that they were carrying a chip on their shoulder because they weren't at BW or MGH. The computer system there is also incredibly simple and intuitive. Personally, BIDMC is a co-#1 for me (see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=178776).