UNC vs UMich

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jackie1.

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last minute uncertainty. Does anyone think I would be sacrificing reputation and subsequent loss in quality of a GI fellowship if I chose UNC over Michigan? Right now, I am all about Michigan due to family there, but I also like the idea of the weather and friends at UNC. Is there a big enough difference to anyone that I may be losing that edge come fellowship time ? Appreciate the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I am having the same problems choosing between UNC and Baylor ... Will UNC compromise my chances of getting a comp. fellowship? :cool:

Hoyaparanoia said:
I am having the same problems choosing between UNC and Baylor ... Will UNC compromise my chances of getting a comp. fellowship? :cool:

Yeah, other top places like MGH, BWH, Hopkins, BID etc, they analyze like crazy, but poor ole UNC always get left out of rankings and posts. I don't know if people think its overshadowed by Duke or what, but I think it's a great program with cool residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jackie1. said:
Yeah, other top places like MGH, BWH, Hopkins, BID etc, they analyze like crazy, but poor ole UNC always get left out of rankings and posts. I don't know if people think its overshadowed by Duke or what, but I think it's a great program with cool residents.

You must look inside and do whats right for you. :)

doctormed1 said:
You must look inside and do whats right for you. :)

Can anyone else help this person on this decision?

personally, I would go for Michigan. It clearly has a better reputation and I think UNC has a good local reputation, but not much of a national one relative to the kind of rep you need backing you if you are pursuing GI.

Jackie1. said:
Last minute uncertainty. Does anyone think I would be sacrificing reputation and subsequent loss in quality of a GI fellowship if I chose UNC over Michigan? Right now, I am all about Michigan due to family there, but I also like the idea of the weather and friends at UNC. Is there a big enough difference to anyone that I may be losing that edge come fellowship time ? Appreciate the input!

I believe Michigan is widely recognized to be a better program, so you will probably sacrifice a bit on reputation. As to your concern about obtaining a GI fellowship, I did not interview at UNC so i don't know where their residents go, but I do know that U of M's PD is a gastroenterologist and has good connections. I would review your notes and see where the residents have gone from each program. Most likely, if you want to stay local in NC or in southeast, UNC is probably fine. If you want to stay in MI (near your family) definitely go to U of M... or if you are considering other national programs, your best bet is U of M. Although if you are an outstanding resident or chief at UNC, I am sure you can go to top GI programs. Anyways, I am sure that you probably have thought of all these points alreay... that being said, if you really want to go to UNC, just go and f**k whatever anyone tells you. Good luck!