Unc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dan Carver

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start another UNC thread. I thought that their internship seemes kinda brutal, with like 9-10 months of call. Everyone seemed relatively happy, though.

Anyone else who interviewed there care to share their feelings about the program (especially the internship)?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The UNC program seems similar to all the IM programs I interviewed with. Call seems to last 9-10 months out of the year with short, long, overnight call, and possibly a night float. I guess my concern about UNC includes driving to WAKE ... which is about 30-40 minutes from chapel hill. I heard from most residents that this could be a pain ... but if you live in Durham ... it may take 20 minutes without traffic.

Also, I noticed that you spend two months in the CCU your first year ... you may want to double check this! Written differently in two different places.

Well, hope this helps. I ranked UNC also but it's 4th or 5th on my list.

Thanks Pontine.

Yeah, it says there are 2 months of q3, one month in the ICU and one in the CCU. Sucks. Then like 6 months q4 inpatient at UNC, and 1 inpatient q4 at Wake (in Raleigh, I believe).

UNC is a nice place to live, though. I don't know. I guess the residents were cool. Just seems kinda brutal to me.