Uncomfortable being video taped

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomfooleries

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had a very difficult time throwing myself into opportunities to learn cognitive and autism-specific measures with younger children.

A semi-structured, socially oriented measure has been particularly difficult. As a male, I find it hard to administer the tasks of the measure (i.e. peek-a-boo games, bubble play, "birthday party" with props, reciprocal social smiling, etc.) in front of psychologists, research examiners, parents, students/RAs (often 3 at once), in front of a video camera for research reliability.

My experience is just limited to ASD. I have struggled in this particular environment with fairly strong feelings of aversion for this type of evaluation. I wonder, since many males seem to frequent the site, what their experience has been in this arena, how it has affected them, etc.

I almost feel out of place in the field.

Members don't see this ad.

Some of what you do, either with adult patients or children, is acting. There are no two ways about it... You're day is in the toilet, you lost all your dissertation data, your dog died, and your SO left you. You're not going to dump that on your patient... you might cancel your appointments, but if you see patients they need to see the same person that they are accustomed to seeing.

Is it easy. Not always, but it is important to put your own stuff aside or to deal with it outside of session when possible. There are times when you can't do that, and that's tough. You have to make a call on what you are going to do with that... sounds like you're experiencing that right now. One option is not to work with this group, another is to talk to others (as you're doing here) about their tricks for handling this, and finally there are those who you work with who no doubt experienced at least some of these feelings.

Good luck!

Mark

Is it the games themselves that you are struggling with, or is it performing them in front of others?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you or our mod changes the title of this thread you may attract more readers who can comment on this specific issue. Right now you're getting readers who are expecting to comment on GID.

If you or our mod changes the title of this thread you may attract more readers who can comment on this specific issue. Right now you're getting readers who are expecting to comment on GID.

MOD NOTE: tomfooleries, let me know if you want the title to say something different. -t4c

I came in thinking GID, so hopefully the edit will help.

As for the topic....are you uncomfortable in front of the camera in general, or just while doing certain tasks? It is common for students to be uncomfortable when being evaluated, particularly on film. Audio and video recording (along with direct observation) are very common methods in graduate school, and you will see them again.

If you can approach the video taping as an opportunity to learn/improve, it can make it more manageable. I had to audio tape most of my work in graduate school, and the tape recorder (and later digital recorder) eventually dissappeared from my thoughts and just because something I'd turn on/off. A video camera can function in the same capacity. I have seen students use some simple exposure therapy techniques to overcome their fears, usually taping themselves doing a range of different things, and not just the evaluated task.

If you can get over the initial aversion to being taped, it can be a wonderful tool to improve your work. We often don't realize how we present, particularly with young children, who often have to rely more on non-verbal cues because of limited language capabilities. Video taping and direct observation can provide us a perspective that we often miss because we are caught up in our own head and in the work.

As for being a male and working with children doing semi-structured work....you just need to relax. Children are actually much more forgiving than adults, and they often are quite empathetic if they sense distress. One of the best pieces advice I was given by a supervisor was to focus on the child and ignore my thoughts for the first minute or two. Get re-adjusted to the situation, "tune in", and then you'll both be in a better place to start.

I actually incorporated a Mr. Rogers-like routine into the beginning of my sessions with children. I'd have them get comfortable on the ground with some kind of activity, and I'd take my shoes off, put my notepad off to the side, etc. I'd take out an activity and play with it next to the child, and eventually engage the child. After a couple weeks of this, all of the children I worked with would naturally grab something from the shell, get situated, and then once I started to play they'd start talking.

I used to be heavily involved in autism research and would code the videotapes where the assessors would work with the children. I was interested in the assessment but I also felt that I would be uncomfortable doing a lot of it myself. It's just not in my nature to happily and excitedly sing "I'm bringing home a baby bumble bee" to a child. I'm sure being a guy factors into this somewhat, but I'm also just not the singing type. I mentioned this to the head of my lab who is also a male and also not the type you can really imagine breaking out into song and he said he completely related. I'm not sure if he ever performs those types of assessments himself or if he just has his students do it.

So anyway I never tried to become an evaluator there and was just a researcher (which I enjoyed). I have since worked with typically developing children and enjoyed it. Like therapist said they are pretty forgiving. But I think with autistic children you often need to show extremely exagerated emotions and social cues to get much of a response which some people are just better at then others.

I do something similar for assessments in my lab, and my advice would be to play up your enthusiasm. Chances are that if you're engaged, the kid will be more engaged, and someone coding the tape will think it's cute and/or funny that you're so enthusiastic. Ham it up. Pretend it's a joke if you have to. But don't lose your enthusiasm.

But I think with autistic children you often need to show extremely exagerated emotions and social cues to get much of a response which some people are just better at then others.
This is a very good point, as "normal" cues are usually missed, particularly at a young age. If you know anyone who does theatre, particularly children's theatre, talk to them about expressiveness. Children along the autism spectrum typically don't do well with subtle changes and they need more "achor points".

As for the singing example....another good opportunity for some exposure training. Sing in your shower, sing in your car, sing to a roommate/spouse/etc. Make it fun.

Now you all are making me want to work with kids again....until I remembered I'd have to deal with the parents too.

Thanks much for all the great replies. I'd like to address a lot of the comments and, if I may, keep some dialogue going.

You have to make a call on what you are going to do with that... sounds like you're experiencing that right now. One option is not to work with this group, another is to talk to others (as you're doing here) about their tricks for handling this, and finally there are those who you work with who no doubt experienced at least some of these feelings.
Mark
This summarizes my general take on the situation. I have had difficulty learning all the evaluations with this population, but some (parent interviews) have been much easier. I've magnified my difficulty with this particular one, but it no doubt gives me major reservations about entering field.
Hopefully talking it out will help; hard to decide, with limited experience, if I might enjoy working with other pops.

Is it the games themselves that you are struggling with, or is it performing them in front of others?
That particular combination: performing these specific tasks in front of others (the parent, a psychologist, and one other examiner. All in same, tiny room; others are watching thru a two-way mirror). Often first-time evaluations, which are most difficult for me - don't want to botch up a 5-yr old's cognitive assessment or ASD eval.

MOD NOTE: tomfooleries, let me know if you want the title to say something different. -t4c
As for being a male and working with children doing semi-structured work....you just need to relax. Children are actually much more forgiving than adults, and they often are quite empathetic if they sense distress. One of the best pieces advice I was given by a supervisor was to focus on the child and ignore my thoughts for the first minute or two. Get re-adjusted to the situation, "tune in", and then you'll both be in a better place to start.

I actually incorporated a Mr. Rogers-like routine into the beginning of my sessions with children. I'd have them get comfortable on the ground with some kind of activity, and I'd take my shoes off, put my notepad off to the side, etc. I'd take out an activity and play with it next to the child, and eventually engage the child. After a couple weeks of this, all of the children I worked with would naturally grab something from the shell, get situated, and then once I started to play they'd start talking.
Thanks much for changing the title - and for the poster that recommended it. It seems to have helped garner a lot of helpful replies.

I find it much more difficult to perform in front of others. Being taped isn't so bad, though I have not had to review them with a supervisor as much as grad students do. I am more comfortable with that, though, and can already see how helpful you describe it to be.

You've given some really great advice. I can't tell you how many times I've been told, "you just need to relax!" Sounds like your supervisor was empathetic and equipped to share advice. I think finding a routine for myself would be important too. Since posting, I have sought to learn this evaluation in another context (not first-time evals, not on tape, with a "safer" psychologist I've learned from successfully in the past).

Finding your own groove with kids though, as I understand, seems like the most important. And that can only come with time, right? Learning to "tune in" to the child (or adult, couple, group, etc., I'll bet) without so much concern as to how you're doing. Mark's earlier comment to "leave your own stuff out of work" was a good dose of reality; from all these replies to far, I feel like everyone experiences discomfort (maybe males more in some situations), but I'm just not learning to adjust to it very well.
So anyway I never tried to become an evaluator there and was just a researcher (which I enjoyed). I have since worked with typically developing children and enjoyed it. Like therapist said they are pretty forgiving. But I think with autistic children you often need to show extremely exagerated emotions and social cues to get much of a response which some people are just better at then others.
Thanks for sharing, very encouraging.
I do something similar for assessments in my lab, and my advice would be to play up your enthusiasm. Chances are that if you're engaged, the kid will be more engaged, and someone coding the tape will think it's cute and/or funny that you're so enthusiastic. Ham it up. Pretend it's a joke if you have to. But don't lose your enthusiasm.
Man, this is my only hope. I've pulled it off with parent interviews and, particularly assessments with school-aged kids, but this is soooo hard with younger ones. I feel like everyone is looking at me and thinking "Watch this kid chase my kid around the room like a fool; this is who I'm relying on to get an accurate assessment of my child?"
As for the singing example....another good opportunity for some exposure training. Sing in your shower, sing in your car, sing to a roommate/spouse/etc. Make it fun.
I get it, I get it. I need another male around to relate.
Yes, I can relate.

To add to what others have said, try to find your own voice and style for appropriately administering the measures. I know it doesn't feel natural, but there is probably a mindset you can put yourself into that you can find within yourself to make it more natural and enjoyable for you. It almost reminds me of working in retail where you are required to appear friendly and pleasant even when you feel like kicking the customer in the teeth. If you "act" it almost isn't ever going to be as effective as if you find a way to put yourself in a certain state or frame of mind that makes you able to meet the demands of the job, but also has a degree of authenticity to it. I try to remind myself that there is something that this situation can teach me, and that many men are too insecure with themselves to do something like this. I also try to put myself in a mindset that I am not going to take myself too seriously and I am going to try to find some way of laughing at myself or the situation.
Awesome, thanks for that. This is what I'm really struggling with. I have always had a strong interest in all medicine has to offer, too. I waver today between applying to post-bacs this year, or finishing what I started (4 years ago) and apply to clinical psych programs. I am afraid my trouble with this evaluation (I know, such a small deal in the larger scheme of things... but true to me and my limited experience) might distort my perception as to which route would best tap into my skill set, what I want out of my career, and why. Maybe I'm just putting too much thought into this.

Sorry for such a long-winded reply. But I really appreciate all of the thoughtful replies. It seems that no one that has passed by this thread has felt the discomfort of any particular evaluation to be cause to abandon clinical psych. That's so reassuring; I wonder if it might not serve me best to just "get through" this experience so that I can make a decision about my future more rationally.
/narcissism

On the flip side, I've worked as a "support staff member" (read: in-home caregiver for adults with mental disabilities, severe/chronic mental illness, and physical disabilities) for over two years and so it's often my job to be the other person in the room when the evaulations, physical exams, etc. etc. are taken to help my clients feel more comfortable. (Also, insurance/state law reasons).

It is so much easier for me and my client when the evaluator (or whoever) is willing to get in the same head space as my client- whatever that means. It often means overexpressing emotions, being silly, being much more playful or touchy-feely than you would usually be with an adult, etc. I really respect it when psychologists, doctors, social workers, etc. are willing to do whatever my client needs them to do, and I don't judge it. Hell, that's what I spend my whole day doing, and it makes the whole process easier.

It was hard for me at first to behave differently than I usually would (I think particularly because all of my clients are older than I am, and so I wanted to be deferential to them rather than playful). It still plays a role at times when I'm with my male autistic clients because of the gender difference, so I understand where you're coming from. I think what has helped me push past it is that I can tell the difference in my clients' response when I behave in a more responsive or expressive way versus in a more traditionally 'professional' way- and I'm doing this for their benefit, so I need to get past it, right? Plus, it's kind of fun to be playful- and once you make the connection, it's invaluable.

I haven't done this in particular, but I imagine that would be VERY uncomfortable for me. Not so much the videotaping or people watching (got over those fears long ago), but it would still feel incredibly unnatural for me. Hell I didn't even like "playing" when I was a child, I was always the nerdy kid reading under a tree during recess:) When I was doing ADHD research, I absolutely hated having to spend time worrying about whether the activities were "fun", and trying to turn research into a game just to get the data we need. Nothing but respect for people who can do it but blech....incredibly boring to me.

Anyways, not sure if this has created any long-term worries for you, but I will add that this is why specialization exists. I have not met a single person who was good at everything when it comes to any aspect of this field...and I also find that many of the "top" people in this field actually have the biggest weaknesses when it comes to certain things...they've just found ways to capitalize on their strengths. I know I'm not a big fan of working with children (though they always do seem to like me when I have...), so I'm in an area where I work almost exclusively with adults, and its VERY unlikely I'd ever have to work clinically with someone under 14.

The upside is that I think its much easier to not like working with kids than it is to not like working with adults. I'm only about halfway done with grad school, but I could probably never work with children again without it impacting my career in the slightest. Yet no matter how "Specialized" in child psychology you are, there will always be parents to deal with...frequently rude/demanding/irritating parents.

I haven't done this in particular, but I imagine that would be VERY uncomfortable for me. Not so much the videotaping or people watching (got over those fears long ago), but it would still feel incredibly unnatural for me. Hell I didn't even like "playing" when I was a child, I was always the nerdy kid reading under a tree during recess:) When I was doing ADHD research, I absolutely hated having to spend time worrying about whether the activities were "fun", and trying to turn research into a game just to get the data we need. Nothing but respect for people who can do it but blech....incredibly boring to me.

I haven't worked with kids, although I've done assessments for many older adults with various levels of cognitive impairment. A lot of them need the data gathering to be "fun" too, and will tell me very bluntly whether they find the sessions to be "boring" or "stupid." :rolleyes: I think I've spent more time than I'd like arranging our two-hour battery to sprinkle in the more enjoyable, lower stress measures like TrailsA+B and FAS/Categories between the huge, effortful word lists.

Re: Videotaping or running sessions under supervision, I've performed theater/chorus/a cappella for audiences of all sizes in high school and undergrad, I'm hoping that will help me adjust to being watched. Or maybe just turn me into an ineffectual ham.:laugh:

I'm not a male, so I don't know if this helps, or not. I'm working in a psychosocial program in an inpatient hospital. When I'm there I am "on." If you've ever waited tables, maybe you know what I mean. I am definitely more outgoing than I am in my regular life. Like OlyChick said, I sort of act in whatever way is necessary to get through or get across whatever it is I'm trying to do at the moment.

For example, I have one group that is a reading group of sorts, we cover mostly poems and song lyrics given time restraints. I had one guy that was not reading, but I knew he could. After a few weeks I took a DMC song he had chosen and really put him on the spot. I said, okay then I'm going to stand right here next to you, so everyone will be watching you whether you help me read this song, or not. So, I rapped and sort of put on a little act and sure enough he starts assisting, because it was just so fun (or he took pity on me :laugh:) and everyone else was getting into it. And, now he is one of our groups most out going members and reads several songs per session and comments on the meanings.

It is, as others have said, a bit like acting and that doesn't mean you should think it's phoney, just because it's not really you. Because, your main objective is to help the person/child, so if to reach that objective you have to put on an act that's just part of it. I don't know if thinking of it in that way will help you any that's just how I approach things. If I have to act happy, stern, goofy, pretend I'm really into XYZ, or whatever, in order to help someone then I do.

When I'm there I am "on." If you've ever waited tables, maybe you know what I mean. I am definitely more outgoing than I am in my regular life.

This is a good way to approach the work. Everyone in graduate school will encounter things they are not wild about (I loathe touchy-feely work), but you still need to complete them to graduate. I am a natural introvert (seriously), but during my practica training and other professional activities I had to be more social and engaged. At conferences you need to be "on" because you never know when someone important comes up and wants to talk about your work. I've learned to be "on" during my work hours, and then revert back to my preferred introversion once I walked out the door.