Uncomfortable with number of interviews DO/MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhitJord85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am unsure of what I should, or if I should really do anything about my current situation -

I applied to general surgery both DO and MD, and received interviews for both DO and MD. I still have 5 remaining interviews to go on. I also applied to integrated thoracic surgery and have an interview.

My dilemma however is that I don't feel comfortable with the number of interviews I have once I separate the DO general surgery and the MD general surgery/integrated thoracic surgery. I also applied for preliminary positions in general surgery but have yet to hear about a single interview for a preliminary position.
Obviously its late in the year to be adding programs in surgery or in any other specialty for that matter.
I applied to >70 programs, most of them within the first 3 days applications could be submitted. I passed both USMLE (Step 1 220-230, Step 2 230-240) and COMLEX (Level 1 560-571, Level 2 730-740, PE Passed) all on first attempt. Class rank is 2nd quartile. No research. 4 strong LORs, 1 is from a gen surg program director.

I'm just not sure what to do at this point. I have thought about contacting the programs I applied to for prelim positions and just show some interest and see if they are still interviewing. Or should I try to get additional LORs and apply for prelim medicine or TY programs? Or just focus on doing really well on the interviews I have and see where I end up?

Any advice appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like the py and ty might be in wait list already. How many surgery interviews have you been on? 5 left is a decent number at this point in the season.

You said you don't feel comfortable with the number you have once you separate the DO and MD interviews. How many do you/did you have for each? You have 5 left. Are they MD or DO or both? Not sure I understand.

You've gotten 10 iis already, how'd you feel on your other interviews? Look at the nrmp match statistics/program director's survey for general surgery, maybe look through the GS forum,, if you already haven't? I'm doing IM, so idk about GS...but you'd be good for IM!