Unconventional Route in residency/fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glhm93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to complete a pharmaceutical industry fellowship after successful completion of PGY1 hospital residency? I'm trying to gather experiences that were unconventional in obtaining a industry fellowship. Thoughts/idea on this topic are encouraged and appreciated... :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know a guy who did that. I think that's unnecessary though, just go for fellowship after graduation. When I worked with him, he worked full-time for industry (not using his residency training) and doing per-diem at a hospital.

Is it possible to complete a pharmaceutical industry fellowship after successful completion of PGY1 hospital residency? I'm trying to gather experiences that were unconventional in obtaining a industry fellowship. Thoughts/idea on this topic are encouraged and appreciated... :)
It's definitely possible. It's all about how you sell it.

Agree with above. Possible depends on your reasoning. Some positions will value clinical experience which residency helps with (i.e medical information, MSL etc..) others don't (i.e regulatory) It's what you want to do and why you are doing it. If you enjoy clinical and want to leave that options opens. Many people do get residency and then fellowship but it's just might be a 3 year process.

Reactions: 1 user