Under 25 renting a car for interveiws

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrLahey

Trailer Park Supervisor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone run into problems renting a car if your under 25? I'm 21 and dont quite know how that will effect things?

Members don't see this ad.

Check the company. There are a couple that will rent to you under 25, but several that won't.

In addition, there may be a security deposit. The best way is to call or check websites and figure out which will rent to you. But there are at least 2-3 that will

For a lot of companies you can rent at 21. You just pay a fee or pay a higher daily rate

Ie Hertz

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but you will pay a a higher rate.

Enterprise lets you rent under 25 also.

As stated above, under-25 is possible (state-dependent more than company), usually much more expensive. Call the specific locations you're interested in renting at.

Most cities have decent enough public transit that you can get where you need to go by bus.

there can only be one sheen in this building...

As stated before, many companies charge an extra fee if you are younger than 25. If you happen to be insured with USAA, that fee can be waived; not sure about other insurance companies.

Have you thought about biking? Or perhaps, if in a rural area, borrowing a horse? :D

With the bi-sheening going on here its best to take the bus

Charlie Sheen has only one gear-go!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add, you will have more trouble if you don't have a credit card than your age ultimately.

You can use a debit card at any major brand, but expect them to put a $200-400 hold on the account that takes up to 10 days to remove.

If you are interviewing in a major metropolitan area, use Zipcar! It's a rent-by-the-hour car service where you book the car online and the cars are located in parking lots all around the city. The car automatically opens for you, with the key inside, when your card enters into a certain distance around the car. The rates are only $7 an hour and all the cars are Toyota Prius or better. For the day, I think it costs $50 or $60 for the Prius (the cheapest car). I highly recommend it. You have to be 18 or 21 to use it, I forget.

If you're still in school, they probably have a table around your campus, and if you find the spokesperson, you'll get a free membership, card, plus a $25 credit. If you're not, go on the website and you still get a free membership I think.

There's also citycarshare, but I've never used it.

You must be at least 21 to use a zipcar, under-21s can only use it if their school has a contract with zipcar and only on that school's campus.

Last edited:
If you are interviewing in a major metropolitan area, use Zipcar! It's a rent-by-the-hour car service where you book the car online and the cars are located in parking lots all around the city. The car automatically opens for you, with the key inside, when your card enters into a certain distance around the car. The rates are only $7 an hour and all the cars are Toyota Prius or better. For the day, I think it costs $50 or $60 for the Prius (the cheapest car). I highly recommend it. You have to be 18 or 21 to use it, I forget.

The day rates for zipcar can be significantly higher than just a plain rental, even with young driver surcharges for major rental companies. If you are planning a day/multi-day rental, it may be cheaper, depending on location and company to just rent a car for the day.

I had no problem renting from Hertz. I paid $15 extra per day, but for interviews, probably only a 2 day rental tops, it wouldn't be too bad.

Last edited:
No, at 20, I had no problem renting from Hertz. I paid $15 extra per day, but for interviews, probably only a 2 day rental tops, it wouldn't be too bad.

I was quoting zipcar's policy, which is as I wrote it. Nice to know that Hertz is an option for those still underage!

Zipcar is a nice idea but is much more expensive

Well, another alternative is to rent the car through your university-sponsored car service. Some universities have partnerships with Hertz or some other rental company and the rates are cheaper, plus the minimum age is lower. At my school, we have a contract with Hertz for anyone over 21 with discounted rates.