Under Consideration at Albany Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gls5377

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone post interview "under consdieration" been accepted latley? Also, to the people still UC, are you giving up on the school. How do you feel about our chances of actually getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

gls5377 said:
Has anyone post interview "under consdieration" been accepted latley? Also, to the people still UC, are you giving up on the school. How do you feel about our chances of actually getting accepted?

I have been under consideration, post interview (end of dec) for months. In an email from the school, it stated that my status would not change until the end of their interview season (end april).

I'm also UC, and I'm hoping that they let people in off the list during april/may. My friend at AMC said that there were a lot of people in her class now that got in off the list, so I'm hoping there is a lot of movement early on.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is good info...thanks! I hate this waiting game. It feels like forever.

I interviewed at AMC on 11-2 and then received an e-mail stating that I was under consideration on 12-6. Then I sent them an e-mail giving them an update on my current activities/grades on 2-16. A day later on 2-17 I got accepted via e-mail.

Unless AMC is your only choice, don't go there. The school is a waste of $41K. The academics and facilities pretty much suck as does the administration. The clinical skills program during the first two years is pretty good though. Albany is a horrible city too. So if you have another choice, I would recommend that you go to another school.

bostonmed said:
Unless AMC is your only choice, don't go there. The school is a waste of $41K. The academics and facilities pretty much suck as does the administration. The clinical skills program during the first two years is pretty good though. Albany is a horrible city too. So if you have another choice, I would recommend that you go to another school.

I don't believe that was the topic of this thread. Thanks but no for unsolicited opinions. :thumbdown:

Trying not to sound harsh, but posts like this get me. Albany isn't my top choice at all, but I think most of the people here are well informed enough to seek out the opinions of others if they desire and this thread isn't where people were doing that. Actually there is another thread for Albany where you might be better off posting.

Actually, please don't post there either unless you are actually considering the school yourself :) given that the spirit of the thread started with folks hoping to be accepted.

start a different thread altogether!

I interviewed in October, was placed "under consideration" in December, and got accepted earlier this month. From what I've seen they can pretty much pull you off the "uc" list at any time, not necessarily after the interview season is done.

well as far as my status goes, i finished my app, they got their money, then proceeded to tell me that my app was never finalized, then they said too bad

ismelllikepoop said:
well as far as my status goes, i finished my app, they got their money, then proceeded to tell me that my app was never finalized, then they said too bad
You should have interviewed in my place.
My first interviewer was over 2 hours late, then we talked for 20 minutes.
My second interviewer and I talked for over 2 hours (he was actually a really nice guy), then he gave me bogus directions to the airport. His first question: "how'd you do so well on the MCAT?" Me: "Uh, I don't know." He showed me all the papers in my file, how the interviewers are supposed to evaluate applicants, etc. At the end he was like "Well, I'm going to try to recommend you as hard as I can but I think I'm going to have a really hard time convincing the committee." Gee, thanks. Before that he gave me like a 10 minute sell about why Albany is a nice place to live.
That school confused me. But I did see a couple of very cute MS1s.

I agree with others who have posted in response to the negative comments by bostonmed. I would like to add that from reading many forums on many schools there is always those posts that sound exactly like bostonmed's. A disappointed student for various reasons giving their experience witha particular school. It may be true that some schools have more disgruntled students than other schools, but there's always those few who regret their decision to attend their medical school and I just wonder how many students who are doing really well academically and socially at their particular school complain about the "academics and administration etc" or if they are doing really well, are just feeling arrogant that they could have gone somewhere more academically stimulating etc etc....i wonder how the students who do well at albany (or any other med school) and are helped by administration and are given many second chances and match well rate the school... i'm guessing they wouldn't be too disgruntled

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also in the "UC" category and was wondering if they can reject you too if they can pull you off the list at anytime?

Did anyone under consideration get that annoying email about the tuition increase?

I actually received it twice.....

I just got the email and I am being voted on today. I respect their attempt to make sure that folks are notified of what they're getting into - it would be a rude awakening to enroll and see the tuition increase for the first time on your bill!

RxnMan said:
I just got the email and I am being voted on today. I respect their attempt to make sure that folks are notified of what they're getting into - it would be a rude awakening to enroll and see the tuition increase for the first time on your bill!

How respectful of you. :)

For this of you still "Under Consideration": I interviewed in December and have been under consideration since..... then I was notified via email this past Friday that I was accepted -- and it was my first acceptance. :) So good luck to all of you who are still waiting to hear back!

TV_Addict said:
For this of you still "Under Consideration": I interviewed in December and have been under consideration since..... then I was notified via email this past Friday that I was accepted -- and it was my first acceptance. :) So good luck to all of you who are still waiting to hear back!
A million CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You must be floating......it is so good to hear good news, even from someone you don't know....Congratulations again! :) :) :)

they take a ton of people off the waitlist. I interviewed (a few years ago) in december and got several acceptances in late may/ early june, one of which was AMC.

Destress. Let them know you're still interested in getting in.

paradisedoc said:
A million CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You must be floating......it is so good to hear good news, even from someone you don't know....Congratulations again! :) :) :)

paradisedoc: Thanks for the kind words! It's wonderful to know I'm in ... and extra nice that it's Albany; I really liked the students, faculty, staff, hospital, etc. Good luck to you!

i interviewed feb 23, got put UC a couple weeks later, then got an email saying my status changed to accepted on 4/24. i am withdrawing so good luck to the rest of you! :)

don't know if this matters to anyone, but i thought it was my worst interview :confused: i'd say ya'll have a good chance :thumbup: