Under Grad and Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im sure this has already been asked so let me apologize if its a complete repeat question, but how weighted is your under grad institution when applying to med school? As in factors of GPA, competitiveness, ranking in specific areas of study as well as overall ranking, etc. Besides speculating, is there anyone who actually knows of any specific examples when this has come into play?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that MCAT and GPA were if not equally weighted at least closely weighted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression that MCAT and GPA were if not equally weighted at least closely weighted?
right, but you were asking specifically about factors regarding the undergrad institution.

if you want to tie in ALL factors, then it's highly variable by school. some might say 35% MCAT, 35% GPA, 20% extracurriculars, 10% LORs... other schools may say 60% GPA, 30% MCAT, 10% ECs and LORs don't matter.

alright, so just to clear it up once and for all GPA is the biggest factor regardless of where you got it?