Under Grad Major (Please Read)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neon Black

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my story. Right now, I'm majoring in Computer Technology with a specialization in Network Security and a minor in business Management. The thing is, I really ****ing hate and am sick of my major. I know a few programming languages and other crap also.

+pissed+

Enter the possiblity of being a doctor.

My question to you guys is do DO Schools look down upon people that don't have an insane science background(like taking a lot of Bio and Chem classes)?

I will definetly take the MCAT requirements, but it seems like everyone who wants to be a doctor takes nothing science classes. Do you guys know any other kind of majors that get into DO Schools?

Thanks

Now Playing: Nevermore - the Politics of Ecstasy

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds kind of vague but I've heard and read many times that Med Schools just as readily accept non-science majors as say Biology majors. Your computer science backround seems to me like an in-between, but certainly no a big obsticle. It's probably more important that you did relatively well in your courses in light of your switch over. Also I've definetly heard of English, History, Enginering, etc.... majors getting in.

The thing to do now, like you eluded to, is to take the MCAT required courses and do well. Also keep in mind that most schools have a list of required subjects and hours needed to apply. For the most part taking the MCAT courses will fulfill these, however some additional hours might be specified.

Given your "switch over" it's equally important to SHOW the admissions people that you both know what you're getting into and that it's really what you want to do. The way to acomplish this is to gain meaningful patient contact experience. There're tons of ways to get this experience, just search these forums for some ideas if needed.

I completely agree with the last post. Also, just something that's encouraging - out of all of the majors that apply to medical school (there are a very wide range) the 2 with the highest percentage for admittance are math and philosophy. My advisor told me that schools want variety in their class, and although science classes help show a rigorous schedule and help you prepare, they are not necessary (beyond the basic required courses).

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you take all the required basic sciences, you are just as good as the next guy with, say, a biology major. If anything, your comp. background will help you in med school, as well as medicine itself because so much technology is involved these days.

with regards

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

I have one more question.

Do these schools differentiate between a let's say a 3.9 in some jack off major and a 3.4 in a tough major?

Thanks again.

I don't have any sources to back this up, but I would assume that they would realize the difference. If you have a 3.4 though, you'll be fine, just get some exposure to the field so that you know it's right for you.

one thing that i heard at an interview that i really liked was : the adcoms aren't picking a basketball team, they're picking their colleagues. Meaning that they would rather have people with strong values and good personality than a person who only raises their statistics.

Hey there:

I was a Psych major in undergrad and doing a Masters in Public Health (neither degree are in the sciences), but took all my science pre-reqs and also Physiology, Biochem, Cell Bio. and Genetics. My science cum is a 3.08 (according to AACOMAS) but this does not reflect my upward trend in grades. Anyway, I also got a 25 P on the MCAT (9BS, 8VR, 8PS) which is competitive for most DO schools. I interviewed at AZCOM (waitlist),
TUCOM (11/4) and LECOM (11/11), and am looking forward to getting more invitations (hopefully PCOM, UNECOM, and UMDNSJOM).

NJDESI

Neon,

You can absolutely get into med school with a non-science major. Your computer major is an in-between but definately seen as a more difficult major than others. The minor is business is really good for applying to med school. I have a BA in Business and will finish my chemistry BA next May before matriculating. The business degree seemed to come up at every crossroad I faced. It was a big hit and selling point to have some business background before going into medicine so that I would understand the current economics of a medical career.

Just take the required sciences and that should be enough to get you in as long as you get good grades. Don't forget to get in some clinical experience and some good letters of rec.

Goodluck.

I was just accepted with a B.S. in Educational Studies!