Underage Drinking (not a misdemeanor), but Accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JuanPonceDeLeon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As a 19 year old I was caught underage drinking in Wisconsin. I was given a forfeiture at the time. This is not a misdemeanor nor a criminal offense in Wisconsin. Because of this, I did not report it on AACOMAS nor my secondary to CCOM, as they both specifically asked if I was ever charged with a misdemeanor, which I was not. Another osteopathic program's secondary app asked if I had been charged with any infractions (not only misdemeanors), to which I gave a full description of the event and the lessons I have learned from it. I have now been accepted to both schools, but would ideally matriculate to CCOM. Would you recommend putting down deposits on both schools in the instance that CCOM sees the underage on a background check and rescinds their offer? Or if they didn't ask about other charges besides misdemeanors am I in the clear and can save the $500 initial deposit to the other school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Lol same happened to me in Wisconsin. It is likely only an ordinance violation and shouldn't show up on a criminal background check. If you're that worried about it, run a background check on yourself and see if it comes up.

Oh nice! You're not too worried about it? It has shown up on one of my past employer's background checks, but has not been reported on others, so that is where the second guessing is coming from.

No I'm not worried about it. I've had background checks for scribing and no one has mentioned it to me. But like you said CCOM didn't ask about ordinance violations/local infractions, so it shouldn't even matter. I don't think they would care anyway, especially since it occurred in Wisconsin, the drinking capital of the US.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you just pay a ticket and that was it? That's all I did.

America where we ruin lives for drinking a beer or smoking marijuana :rolleyes:

Yeah, just paid a ticket. The cop said it was the same severity as a speeding ticket.

Yeah then I wouldn't worry about it! They definitely wouldn't rescind our acceptances over something so trivial, especially since mine occurred over 6 years ago.

The only school that will give you any grief over the alcohol charge is LUCOM. So chill.

Hi all,

As a 19 year old I was caught underage drinking in Wisconsin. I was given a forfeiture at the time. This is not a misdemeanor nor a criminal offense in Wisconsin. Because of this, I did not report it on AACOMAS nor my secondary to CCOM, as they both specifically asked if I was ever charged with a misdemeanor, which I was not. Another osteopathic program's secondary app asked if I had been charged with any infractions (not only misdemeanors), to which I gave a full description of the event and the lessons I have learned from it. I have now been accepted to both schools, but would ideally matriculate to CCOM. Would you recommend putting down deposits on both schools in the instance that CCOM sees the underage on a background check and rescinds their offer? Or if they didn't ask about other charges besides misdemeanors am I in the clear and can save the $500 initial deposit to the other school?

Thanks!

You weren't charged with a crime. Don't worry about it.

CCOM didn't ask about infractions, they asked about misdemeanors (and I'm assuming felonies). If this pops on a background check (and I'm willing to bet it won't), it'll be as an infraction, which they clearly don't care about. You're fine.

The only school that will give you any grief over the alcohol charge is LUCOM. So chill.

CUSOM will, also. I had a very similar charge from over 10 years ago (no conviction, just a dropped misdemeanor charge) and the admissions office told me that they do not send secondaries to students with any sort of arrest record, especially related to alcohol and drugs, even if your stats meet their cutoff.

Some CUSOM students on here tell me they did get secondaries even with the same charge as I had. I called CUSOM and they gave me a "hell if I know" and reiterated that people with any arrest record need not apply.

CUSOM will, also. I had a very similar charge from over 10 years ago (no conviction, just a dropped misdemeanor charge) and the admissions office told me that they do not send secondaries to students with any sort of arrest record, especially related to alcohol and drugs, even if your stats meet their cutoff.

Some CUSOM students on here tell me they did get secondaries even with the same charge as I had. I called CUSOM and they gave me a "hell if I know" and reiterated that people with any arrest record need not apply.

Glad to see they look at the whole applicant and not just numbers.
/s

Might be worth an inquiry in the CUSOM school forum to see if this holds true. I don't think that a school can afford to be so fussy.