underage drinking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryno

fluent in sarcasm
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an underage drinking ticket in NC:scared::scared::scared:. I dont believe it counts as a misdemeanor because all I have to do is send in some money, no court if I choose; can someone correct me if I'm wrong? How will this affect my med school application?

Thanks
ryno

Members don't see this ad.

First off, I wouldn't take anything that anyone here says as the bottom line. You really should find out from the source. There should be a court number or information number somewhere on the ticket - if not, look it up or go to your local precinct and ask. Confirm whether it will be a misdemeanor or not, whether it will be on your permanent record (how old are you?), and what effect paying the ticket has. I'm guessing that by simply sending the money in, you're admitting guilt. But perhaps if you go to court instead they might have community service/probation as an option if it's a first offense? I have NO idea, but it's something I'd check out if it were me.

As for your med school application, again, how old are you? If it will be far in your past, or won't be a misdemeanor/in your permanent record, then it probably won't make a huge impact (or any) on your application. If it is, I'm guessing that it won't keep you out of med school unless you make a habit of this, and/or proceed to get a DUI as well. I'd walk the straight and narrow from here on out where drinking/substances are concerned. I'm sure others who went through this will have more advice. Try doing some searches on SDN. Here's a thread to get you started (I haven't read it yet):

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=426457&highlight=underage+drinking

Thanks for responding. I'm 19 and a Freshman in college. This is the frist offense... the first ticket ever actually. The thing is where I got the ticket is 5 1/2 hours away from my school, and I dont want to miss class because of this, but I definetly dont want to get rejected from med school because of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was put on res-life probation for 3 months because of underage drinking. just a case of wrong place, wrong time. i later had it cleared from my record because the offense was not bad at all (i.e. i wasn't drunk). amcas still requires you to mention it if it has been expunged. but they also give you space to explain your situation. i mentioned it on my aacomas application, and it was never brought up/never an issue. admissions committees are in tune to college life and realize that most students drink underage at one point in time. it just depends if you get caught or not.

i'd talk to your pre-med committee or someone more official about this so you can be sure.

Underage drinking is very bad,,, But i got a fake ID though

Underage drinking is very bad,,, But i got a fake ID though

haha...that's worse.
it's a felony if you are caught - and don't think that your fake is "too good to get caught", I've had too many friends who thought they had bulletproof fakes get nabbed.

we had a big shakedown fbi bust on my campus 7 years back. apparently some kid in a private dorm bought the exact polaroid machinery used to make the state driver's licenses and sold them on the internet all over the country.

i bet he's enjoying his life in federal prison right about now.

It's considered a misdemeanor. Check with your local courthouse to make sure. An MIP isn't gonna hurt you too much if it doesn't happen again, but it's not good.

So do you guys think it would be better for me to just pay it off? Instead of me paying for a lawyer, and taking time from school to go to court and everything?

Thanks for the information

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if they didn't put handcuffs on you, you don't have to report it.

They never put cuffs on me...The officer said he was going to write the ticket so I dont have to go to court (I told him about my distance predicament)

Members don't see this ad :)
So what is the bottom line .... Don't send in the money for the ticket yet, every state is different and in some an MIP is just an infraction, in some in a misdemeanor, and in some states anything that isn't a felony is a misdemeanor (like a speeding ticket). So if I were you I would consult a lawyer, some will do it for free, and see what it is in your state, and if you can do something like I did and get it reduced. Either way, I don't think its the end of the world. If you have to explain it, just own up, take responsibility and explain what you have learned from the situation. The best advice I think is to figure out what you need to do with it, and don't hide it because that can bite you in the ass later.

best advice here---court clerks are a good resource but all I'd ask them is who they would call if they needed to talk to a lawyer.

By paying the ticket you are probably pleading guilty to the charges. At least thats how it is with speeding tickets :x.

I almost got a ticket, but I was actually 21. :D Otherwise the cop probably would've gotten me.

Whewww here we go ... I had the same thing happen to me (in California) and I came here to the boards here about it, got some good advice, some bad advice, but the main point in my opinion, was to not listen to what people said (no offense). People voice their opinions a lot (without any prior knowledge) and all it does is freak you out. With that stated (very clearly) let me tell you my situation, and see if it will help you at all ...

Around 6 months ago I went up to Santa Barbara to see a friend ... was out infront of a house (huge party) with a beer in my hand (mistake #1) in a group of about 5 people (including the host of the party) and almost everyone was holding a beer. A cop walks up the driveway (higly illegal) and started causing a fuss. Basically the guy who was hosting the party and lived at the house told the cop that we were all 21 ( I didn't actually say a word) and then more cops showed up and for some unknown reason, the cop who was talking to us started to single me out and everyone else just put down their beers and walked away ... he started asking me all these questions, ran my information, saw that I was 20 ( never claimed to be 21, the other guy just said everyone was) and was like alright you are in posession of alcohol and are lying to police, come with us. They at first claimed they were going to throw me in county jail for the night (even though I was barely even buzzed) but luckily was I very respectful and calm, and he just wrote me out a ticket for an MIP and let me go.

Fast forward three months ... have to go to court (scared to death - never even had a speeding ticket or really talked to a cop before then) luckily I was able to take an alcohol class and have my charges reduced to an infraction of disturbing the peace (which isn't supposed to show up on any record) and was fairly content with this. The bad news is that I'm fairly sure the original charge will come up in a back ground check and so I'm very confused about how to report this. Amcas asks " Have you ever plead guilty/no contest to a misdemeanor ... don't include situations where you were charged, but the charges were dropped." So in my situation I technically plead no contest to the charges by agreeing to take the class, but then (according to a lawyer I talked to) the plea was dropped with the charges, and I was only convicted of an infraction (which is like a speeding ticket) ... so I truly still don't know where/what to report.

So what is the bottom line .... Don't send in the money for the ticket yet, every state is different and in some an MIP is just an infraction, in some in a misdemeanor, and in some states anything that isn't a felony is a misdemeanor (like a speeding ticket). So if I were you I would consult a lawyer, some will do it for free, and see what it is in your state, and if you can do something like I did and get it reduced. Either way, I don't think its the end of the world. If you have to explain it, just own up, take responsibility and explain what you have learned from the situation. The best advice I think is to figure out what you need to do with it, and don't hide it because that can bite you in the ass later.

PM me if you have anymore questions (trust me, I went through hell over this damn thing, and it still bothers me to this day - everyone drinks; how the hell did we get caught?) and keep in mind that my advice is simply from my situation, and should be viewed with a grain of salt. Just know that you are not alone though, and it's not gonna kill you.

Thanks alot for the advice. We are in about the same situation, and I keep wondering why me too. I'm still confused as to what this ticket is though. Because i dont have to go to court, the officer said he was writing it differently because I was respectful, not drunk, and I lived 5 hours away and go to college. He said you normally have to go to court for this offense. I'm thinking it is just a civil offense, I cant, however, find a number on my ticket to call. I guess Ill see if I can find a lawyer to ask. Maybe I can hire one, and still not have to appear in court?... As of latly I've been freaking out over if this will hender my medical school application:scared::confused:

i was put on res-life probation for 3 months because of underage drinking. just a case of wrong place, wrong time. i later had it cleared from my record because the offense was not bad at all (i.e. i wasn't drunk). amcas still requires you to mention it if it has been expunged. but they also give you space to explain your situation. i mentioned it on my aacomas application, and it was never brought up/never an issue. admissions committees are in tune to college life and realize that most students drink underage at one point in time. it just depends if you get caught or not.

i'd talk to your pre-med committee or someone more official about this so you can be sure.

Why would you report a crime that has been expunged?! Isn't that the point of having a conviction expunged, so that it doesn't appear on your record, and is therefore unreportable?!

just talked to a lawyer... he said it is a misdemeanor... but written by the ALE law... his price was 400 to do it... and I dont have to show up, plus about 200 in court fees

I'm counting change in my change jar right now :(

Why would you report a crime that has been expunged?! Isn't that the point of having a conviction expunged, so that it doesn't appear on your record, and is therefore unreportable?!

I believe the wording of the question said excluding anything that was expunged, not including.

To the OP, that sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. Just a heads up, if the lawyer can't beat it down from a misdemeanor, AMCAS says that it's your responsibility to notify the schools within 10 days of your pleading guilty, no contest, or being convicted. 600 seems pretty steep for a MIP charge, maybe shop around?

i guess my conscience is too big, and common sense told me that it wasn't a big deal anyway - which proved to be right. i mean, of course i said it was off my record anyway. but if you read amcas closely, they still require you to put it. so basically - to each their own with that judgment call.

Here's the actual question, they specifically request that you not report offenses that were expunged.

Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile, 2) any convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court, or 3) any misdemeanor convictions for which any probation has been completed and the case dismissed by the court (in states where applicable)?

Here's the actual question, they specifically request that you not report offenses that were expunged.

Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile, 2) any convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court, or 3) any misdemeanor convictions for which any probation has been completed and the case dismissed by the court (in states where applicable)?

You need to shoot for that OP. That's basically what I did (attend an alcohol class then the charges were dismissed.) A lawyer should really be able to get it argued down.

There is also more to that question (as far as things you do not have to include), but I can't open up pdf files at work so I'm not exactly sure.

Thanks alot for the advice. We are in about the same situation, and I keep wondering why me too. I'm still confused as to what this ticket is though. Because i dont have to go to court, the officer said he was writing it differently because I was respectful, not drunk, and I lived 5 hours away and go to college. He said you normally have to go to court for this offense. I'm thinking it is just a civil offense, I cant, however, find a number on my ticket to call. I guess Ill see if I can find a lawyer to ask. Maybe I can hire one, and still not have to appear in court?... As of latly I've been freaking out over if this will hender my medical school application:scared::confused:

You have no idea how badly I freaked out, and in all honesty my situation went as well as it possibly could have (getting dismissed) but I'm still scared to death of not including it and then it coming up in a background check and getting my acceptance pulled. It's weird though because accoring to amcas themselves I don't need to report it, but I'm still really worried, and don't blame you for worrying one bit.

I'm thinking a lawyer is the best thing for me. He said one year of "probation" and thats it. I'll do some shopping tomarrow.

Thanks so much for all the information. Are more expensive lawyers worth it or no?

Thanks so much for all the information. Are more expensive lawyers worth it or no?

I wish Law2Doc would come sniffing around... he would know for sure. In my opinion (please understand that it's just my opinion) I would without a doubt have a lawyer go to court for you (if it's a misdemeanor, you have a court date) and try to get them to have it dropped or reduced to an infraction in exchange for doing some type of alcohol class. No joke I have had a ton of friends get them and every single person was able to take something to get out of it (especially because in California if convicted, you automatically loose your license for a year!!).

Underage Drinking
Underage drinking is a serious problem. The total cost attributable to the consequences of underage drinking was almost $62 billion per year in 2001 dollars. (Miller, et al, 2006) Drinking before the age of 21 is associated with:

Damage to growing brains (White, 2001; Kuhn et al, 1998; Giedd, 1999)
Alcohol dependence (Grant and Dawson, 1997; Grant, 1998; Hingson et al, 2003)
Violence (Hingson, et al, Fall 2001; Hingson and Kenkel, 2003)
Dropping out of school (NIDA, 1998)
Drinking and driving (Hingson, et al, Jan. 2001; Hingson et al, 2003)
Riding with drinking drivers (Hingson, et al, Jan. 2001)
Unplanned and unsafe sex (Cooper, 2002)
Fatalities and injuries from drownings, burns, falls, (Levy, July 1999) homicides, suicides, (Institute of Medicine, 2003) and crashes (Levy, July 1999; Hingson and Kenkel, 2003; Hingson et al, 2003).

Underage Drinking
Underage drinking is a serious problem. The total cost attributable to the consequences of underage drinking was almost $62 billion per year in 2001 dollars. (Miller, et al, 2006) Drinking before the age of 21 is associated with:

Fatalities and injuries from drownings, burns, falls, (Levy, July 1999) homicides, suicides, (Institute of Medicine, 2003) and crashes (Levy, July 1999; Hingson and Kenkel, 2003; Hingson et al, 2003).

correlative studies are interesting, but essentially useless

Underage Drinking

Its funny how these problems are isolated in the US, whereas in Europe, people start drinking at age 5 and have longer lifespans.... on average!

Its funny how these problems are isolated in the US, whereas in Europe, people start drinking at age 5 and have longer lifespans.... on average!

It maybe that they have fewer cars and they walk more than we lazy Americans.

Less auto accidents, more exercise, and a little alcohol to keep the system working seem to be some good reasons.

Man...this is so dumb. Seriously, don't cops have anything better to do than this? What a waste of time. In europe people are allowed to drink at a younger age and there aren't huge numbers of alcohol related deaths or DUI's....After all, young people are going to drink ANYWAY...they just have to find a way to not get caught. I just think the whole 21 to drink thing is so archaic and pointless. After all, at 18 you are old enough to consent to sex, own a gun (which is intended to maim and kill by the way), smoke yourself to the point of small cell lung carcinoma and "serve" your country overseas by giving up your life in some uncivilized $hithole for the freedom of others (who will never thank you for it). But to have a drink in the comfort of your own home responsibly?...nope! ******ed.

Sorry this rant isn't helpful to your question, but I really know nothing about this matter. Others will be more helpful, but good luck :thumbup:

we had a big shakedown fbi bust on my campus 7 years back. apparently some kid in a private dorm bought the exact polaroid machinery used to make the state driver's licenses and sold them on the internet all over the country.

i bet he's enjoying his life in federal prison right about now.

I wonder if that'll hurt his chances of getting into med school?

just kidding :)

The most important thing is to make sure that your the medical school background check agrees with your application. If there's a discrepancy, you'll be summarily rejected as some schools. AMCAS is now piloting a criminal background check tool to centralize this process.

I would call the public defender's office or go to court and ask the judge if you can take an alcohol class to get your record expunged.

BTW, you don't have to get cuffed to get a criminal record.

Man...this is so dumb. Seriously, don't cops have anything better to do than this? What a waste of time. In europe people are allowed to drink at a younger age and there aren't huge numbers of alcohol related deaths or DUI's....After all, young people are going to drink ANYWAY...they just have to find a way to not get caught. I just think the whole 21 to drink thing is so archaic and pointless. After all, at 18 you are old enough to consent to sex, own a gun (which is intended to maim and kill by the way), smoke yourself to the point of small cell lung carcinoma and "serve" your country overseas by giving up your life in some uncivilized $hithole for the freedom of others (who will never thank you for it). But to have a drink in the comfort of your own home responsibly?...nope! ******ed.

Sorry this rant isn't helpful to your question, but I really know nothing about this matter. Others will be more helpful, but good luck :thumbup:

The federal government requires the states to have their legal drinking age at 21 in order to recieve grants in aid for our highways. I wouldn't necessarily blame the cops as much as I'd blame a flawed unitary form of government. :p

people who hope to get into medical school and become doctors DRINK!?!? like alcohol!?!? REALLY?!?!? :eek:

*sighs, shakes head*

Wow, if that is right, then I am relieved. My legal troubles fall under all three of those exceptions.

This study does not support the idea that European teens drink as responsible as US teens.

http://www.udetc.org/documents/CompareDrinkRate.pdf

Interesting read.

Excuse me if I'm a little skeptical of a study sponsored by Underage Drinking Enforcement Training Center...

Anyways I don't understand the point of that article other than it talks about teens drinking more in other countries. So? What's their point? Where's the analysis that there is more teen truancy, crimes by drunk teens, pregnancies, etc due to teen drinking in these countries compared to the US.

Excuse me if I'm a little skeptical of a study sponsored by Underage Drinking Enforcement Training Center...

Anyways I don't understand the point of that article other than it talks about teens drinking more in other countries. So? What's their point? Where's the analysis that there is more teen truancy, crimes by drunk teens, pregnancies, etc due to teen drinking in these countries compared to the US.

It points out that European teens are more likely to be involved in binge drinking (5 drinks or more at a time) than US teens. This disspells the theory of the responsible drinking in Europe by teens which is used as an argument for lowering the age of drinking and minimizing the harm to US teens who start drinking at an early age.

Do you believe binge drinking is harmful? If not, then drink yourself to death. My father did.

It points out that European teens are more likely to be involved in binge drinking (5 drinks or more at a time) than US teens. This disspells the theory of the responsible drinking in Europe by teens which is used as an argument for lowering the age of drinking and minimizing the harm to US teens who start drinking at an early age.

Do you believe binge drinking is harmful? If not, then drink yourself to death. My father did.

Right, by asking Europeans how drunk they've been in the past 30days and asking Americans how drunk they've been in the past 2weeks? Seems like a good comparison:rolleyes:

Really? Your father drank 5 beers one day and just died? Or was he an alcoholic that was drinking half a handle of vodka every day? Sorry if it is personal but I believe that there is a huge gap between the occasional binge drinking (which I believe has become one of those media buzz-words and meaningless, considering that if I go to dinner on a date and open a bottle of wine I'm binge drinking, depending on the definition used) and substance abuse.