Underdog Chance and Areas of Improvement, Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eosinophil14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is a long post, sorry in advance, but I welcome and appreciate all opinions. Recent grad in BS Health Sciences with Public Health Minor. I plan on applying DO entering class 2014, and am scheduled for the MCAT in March studying ~4-8/day. I just want to have other eyes to look at my stats and would like your objective opinions on my chances and how I can improve my application before June. Key concern is low GPA, working on MCAT... Thank you for taking the time to review my post.

Background: I took the majority of my pre-req's at CC and transferred to UC. I graduated with 180 credits including retakes (16 credits). I took several unneeded, but related Science courses due to misinformation by CC counselor regarding med school pre-req's, but that was more my fault for not researching them thoroughly. Currently my AACOMAS cGPA is 3.11 and 3.15 sGPA but retaking 1 science class while studying for MCAT would raise them to 3.19 cGPA and 3.33 sGPA. Dx MCAT at 26 shooting for 30+. Bad grades at 1st CC due to non-focus as I was primary caretaker of sick parent while other parent works to pay bills. After taking a 3 year break from school and working full-time to re-orient myself, I went back to college at 2nd CC. I've worked 20-30 hours/week, and actively involved in numerous ECs while going to school since restarting. I've maintained 3.0+ averages since coming back except for 2 consecutive semesters when I was seriously ill and receiving treatment (couple profs wrote LORs for not doing medical withdrawal and passing courses).

EC & Work Hx:
Nursing Home volunteer: 3 years; various roles and established geriatric health education program ~160 hours

Hospital volunteer: 2 years; Infection control assistant ~80 hours, established after-school wellness education in 3 school districts ~60 hours; featured in newsletter article

CAP agency: 0.5 years; food shelf/ SNAP outreach ~30 hours

Blood drives, fundraisers, 1 summer UG research in level 1 ED, co-founded pre-med org at 2nd CC (president 2 semesters), county public health, etc.

Hospital employee: 4.5 years; Materials 3600+ hours, Pt transporter 650+ hours, ED tech ~160 hours

Shadow Exp: Family Practice (DO) 32 hours; Hospitalist-IM (MD) 20 hours; I watched a lot of procedures and surgeries as a hospital employee, but never as official observer because we don't allow student observations at our hospital after a student supposedly fainted in OR 5+ years ago (weird policy) so those probably don't count???

LORs: 3 science, 1 non-science, 1 DO, 3 MD, 1 community engagement mgr, 1 pt care mgr, 1 RN sup, 1 county h&hs dir, & 2 RN

GPA hx:
1st CC (Overall GPA 1.30):
Year 1: 1.50/2.35
Year 2: 0.00 -Dropped out due to family death- quit everything, stupid I know...

2nd CC (Overall GPA 3.19):
Year 3: 4.00/ 4.00 (summer)/ 3.00
Year 4: 3.42/ 4.00 (summer)/ 2.37
Year 5: 2.46/ 3.55
Year 6: 3.61/ 3.60 (summer)
UC (Overall GPA 3.75):
Year 6: 3.86
Year 7: 3.77/ 3.58 (summer)/ 3.61

Science courses and grades (85% taken at CC with no +/- system):
Env Bio/ Env Sci: B/F (F from 1st CC; retaking now)
Intro Chem/ Chem I/ Chem II: C/B/C
Intro Orgo & Biochem/ Orgo I/ Orgo II/ Biochem: A/A/B/A-
Lower-div Genetics/ Upper-div Genetics: B/A
Human Biology/ Anatomy/ Physiology/ Pathology: A/B/B/A
Gen Bio I/ Gen Bio II/ Microbiology: B/A/B
Physics I/ II: B/B
Lower- div Nutrition/ Upper-div Nutrition: A/A

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. This is a long post, sorry in advance, but I welcome and appreciate all opinions. Recent grad in BS Health Sciences with Public Health Minor. I plan on applying DO entering class 2014, and am scheduled for the MCAT in March studying ~4-8/day. I just want to have other eyes to look at my stats and would like your objective opinions on my chances and how I can improve my application before June. Key concern is low GPA, working on MCAT... Thank you for taking the time to review my post.

Background: I took the majority of my pre-req's at CC and transferred to UC. I graduated with 180 credits including retakes (16 credits). I took several unneeded, but related Science courses due to misinformation by CC counselor regarding med school pre-req's, but that was more my fault for not researching them thoroughly. Currently my AACOMAS cGPA is 3.11 and 3.15 sGPA but retaking 1 science class while studying for MCAT would raise them to 3.19 cGPA and 3.33 sGPA. Dx MCAT at 26 shooting for 30+. Bad grades at 1st CC due to non-focus as I was primary caretaker of sick parent while other parent works to pay bills. After taking a 3 year break from school and working full-time to re-orient myself, I went back to college at 2nd CC. I've worked 20-30 hours/week, and actively involved in numerous ECs while going to school since restarting. I've maintained 3.0+ averages since coming back except for 2 consecutive semesters when I was seriously ill and receiving treatment (couple profs wrote LORs for not doing medical withdrawal and passing courses).

EC & Work Hx:
Nursing Home volunteer: 3 years; various roles and established geriatric health education program ~160 hours

Hospital volunteer: 2 years; Infection control assistant ~80 hours, established after-school wellness education in 3 school districts ~60 hours; featured in newsletter article

Blood drives, fundraisers, 1 summer UG research in level 1 ED, co-founded pre-med org at 2nd CC (president 2 semesters), county public health, etc.

Hospital employee: 4.5 years; Materials 3600+ hours, Pt transporter 650+ hours, ED tech ~160 hours

Shadow Exp: Family Practice (DO) 32 hours; Hospitalist-IM (MD) 20 hours; I watched a lot of procedures and surgeries as a hospital employee, but never as official observer because we don't allow student observations at our hospital after a student supposedly fainted in OR 5+ years ago (weird policy) so those probably don't count???

LORs: 3 science, 1 non-science, 1 DO, 3 MD, 1 community engagement mgr, 1 pt care mgr, 1 RN sup, 1 county h&hs dir, & 2 RN

GPA hx:
Year 2: 0.00 -Dropped out due to family death- quit everything, stupid I know...

UC (Overall GPA 3.75):

GPAs are on the low side but you will have a good shot if you can get a 28+ mcat. Nice upward trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're on the low end of acceptable for DO programs. Try the newest schools. Make sure you rock the MCAT.

Background: I took the majority of my pre-req’s at CC and transferred to UC. I graduated with 180 credits including retakes (16 credits). I took several unneeded, but related Science courses due to misinformation by CC counselor regarding med school pre-req’s, but that was more my fault for not researching them thoroughly. Currently my AACOMAS cGPA is 3.11 and 3.15 sGPA but retaking 1 science class while studying for MCAT would raise them to 3.19 cGPA and 3.33 sGPA. Dx MCAT at 26 shooting for 30+. Bad grades at 1st CC due to non-focus as I was primary caretaker of sick parent while other parent works to pay bills. After taking a 3 year break from school and working full-time to re-orient myself, I went back to college at 2nd CC. I’ve worked 20-30 hours/week, and actively involved in numerous ECs while going to school since restarting. I’ve maintained 3.0+ averages since coming back except for 2 consecutive semesters when I was seriously ill and receiving treatment (couple profs wrote LORs for not doing medical withdrawal and passing courses).

EC & Work Hx:

Shadow Exp: Family Practice (DO) 32 hours; Hospitalist-IM (MD) 20 hours; I watched a lot of procedures and surgeries as a hospital employee, but never as official observer because we don’t allow student observations at our hospital after a student supposedly fainted in OR 5+ years ago (weird policy) so those probably don’t count???

GPA hx:

UC (Overall GPA 3.75):

I appreciate everyone's input so far. Thank you. With regards to being on the low end of acceptable for DO, are you talking about strictly GPA or does this include ECs as well?