Underdog, chances of getting into an MD Medical School? (19 year old applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezra Redden

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am current a URM junior biology major from the Northeast. I currently have a cgpa of 3.45, a science gpa of 3.3, and have an MCAT Score of 500. I am not taking the MCAT again as I am not sure if I will get a higher score than I did before so that's not an option. I plan to submit my amcas application on the first day it opens this June and apply to about 30-40 medical schools (because of my gpa).
I had a >3.7 gpa heading into my sophomore year but hit a rough patch after taking a ton of rigorous science courses such as Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry I and II, Physics I and II, etc. including some upper level math courses. Another contributing factor to my gpa decline could be due to the fact that I take a bunch of credit hours (5 or 6 courses) per semester.
Nevertheless, I've done ECs such as being an R.A. etc since the beginning of my sophomore year. In addition, I did research and have also hadexperience with diverse populations as I spent high school overseas before returning to the U.S. for undergrad and have lived in several different locations within the U.S. I do not plan on taking a gap year or doing a masters program as I think that they're wastes of time and so that is most definitely not an option.

I would like to know what my chances of getting into MD medical school and some pointers on which schools to apply to.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your chances are good as urm

edit: didn't see your MCAT. nah you wont get into MD with that score. Maybe DO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't think your chances are good with a 500 mcat for an md school. 500 is about a 25 on the old scale, and I don't know of anyone personally who's gotten into an md school with a score that low. I'd focus on studying and retaking the mcat.
Stats: 98th percentile mcat, 3.98 gpa, 9 interview offers, 8 attended, 3 acceptances so far

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your chances are good with a 500 mcat for an md school. 500 is about a 25 on the old scale, and I don't know of anyone personally who's gotten into an md school with a score that low. I'd focus on studying and retaking the mcat.
Stats: 98th percentile mcat, 3.98 gpa, 9 interview offers, 8 attended, 3 acceptances so far
In a hypothetical situation where I actually do take the MCAT again, could you give me some pointers on doing better on the test? What are some of your strategies and what materials did you use?

Hey, i agree with the above. With a low MCAT and a low GPA, chances at MD are very low in my opinion. I would definitely retake the MCAT. Maybe take a gap year if you need to and do some kind of research or masters to bolster your app if your MCAT doesnt go well. I think you have to focus dedicated time to the MCAT. I personally studied for my MCAT for probably over 400 hours. If you can afford it, take a prep course, but if not (which is understandable they are expensive) then create a study schedule where you cover all the material in depth, and then do practice practice practice. Constant practice and review of the practice. But just to be honest with you, current numbers probably will not get you into MD.

GPA-3.6 (sGPA about 3.45-3.5) MCAT 519 9 interviews 3 acceptances so far

Agreed the chances for MD are basically nil with an mcat of 500. Your GPA is also a bit lower, but an adequate mcat could do a lot to offset it. Keep working to get that up, retake the mcat, and consider DO and you'll be getting on track...

There's an MCAT subforum that has tons of advice for strategies, books, etc. I'd definitely look there, as you'll get 1000x more experience than those who will pop into this thread.

I'm from NY, have a 3.5 undergrad (and an unrelated research MS), and a 513. Got into one NY school, waitlisted at another, interviewing (late) at a third, and interview offered (but not attended) and a fourth. I'm a bit of an oddball applicant (nontrad, lots of unrelated research, older, etc) and had a cycle of no interviews before this successful one. This year I got into my top choice before the new year, but last year sucked...

Please take the time to fix what needs fixing before applying. Reapplying is possible, but costly, emotionally taxing, and there's a bit of a stigma (however small) because every school will know you've reapplied and will likely ask themselves the question "why?". You're on track by coming here and asking, but there are lots of competitive people. Don't get discouraged, but consider feedback strongly and take it to heart.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
^^^ pretty solid advice there, better than I could put it haha

In a hypothetical situation where I actually do take the MCAT again, could you give me some pointers on doing better on the test? What are some of your strategies and what materials did you use?
I'd focus on taking many full length practice tests under serious testing conditions. In general I focused more on taking practice tests and doing practice passages than content review.

Apply to schools that don't focus as much on stats such as Morehouse, Howard, and Meharry. They more focus on your demonstrated commitment to the profession and your passion for working with underserved communities. It's not all about your stats. It's also about other personal qualities you have that will make you a great physician. Yes you will have more choices if you increase your mcat score. But getting into an md school is not impossible if you focus on what makes you unique and what qualities you have that will make a great physician. I've seen people with lower stats than you get in and it's also because they interview well and have the qualities of a great, compassionate physician
Stats: 3.9+, 511, 14 interview invites, went to 12, accepted to 10 so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd definitely retake the MCAT if I were you. I have a low MCAT, and had to apply VERY broadly. I did also apply DO.
Try to apply to schools that fit your PS and activities as well.

Here are my stats for the MD application:
499 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, 8 II, attended 2, accepted 1 (WL another one)

I'd definitely retake the MCAT if I were you. I have a low MCAT, and had to apply VERY broadly. I did also apply DO.

Out of curiosity, how many primary applications did you submit?

Would anyone know what bearing my status as a younger applicant would play in my application process?

Out of curiosity, how many primary applications did you submit?

31 MD and 10 DO. I had 5 DO interviews, attended 2, and accepted to 2.

I risked it with my low MCAT score, and I would not suggest you do the same.

Do you know what made you jump out? I'm assuming you have some unique experience or something... congrats though!

Would anyone know what bearing my status as a younger applicant would play in my application process?
I would say that schools wouldn't count it against you if all things were equal to someone a few years older, but they definitely wouldn't expect any less of you compared to anyone else. No on is giving you the benefit of the doubt in this process... That said, I've had a lot of physicians I met while shadowing/interviewing remark that they value experience (that often comes with age). Maybe they were saying it because I'm an older nontrad. At 19 you'll definitely be a very young applicant...

Also, here's a table from aamc for AA applicants (just for perspective). https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf

Your age alone as a number wouldn't mean anything to an adcom. But the maturity and experience that comes with age might not be conveyed in your app and interview. IMO you would benefit from taking one or two gap years and working or volunteering or both. It would only help you.
I'm definitely not trying to say that you're not mature or lack experience, just that in your case, taking a couple years before applying would likely be a huge benefit to your app.

Last edited:
Do you know what made you jump out? I'm assuming you have some unique experience or something... congrats though!

Thank you! I think it had a little to do with everything. I am URM (born in Mexico), immigrant and first gen student. I have worked full time through all undergrad in a hospital, the majority of my activities revolve around the underserved, and I was very involved in research presentations and conferences.

Sometimes I think that ECs and how you present yourself through the PS/secondaries matters more than just a number.

But what's up with people and gap years? Why not just apply and try your luck instead of wasting a year trying to strengthen your already decent ECs? I don't believe in gap years, or post-bach programs, it's like turning left to turn right...

But what's up with people and gap years? Why not just apply and try your luck instead of wasting a year trying to strengthen your already decent ECs? I don't believe in gap years, or post-bach programs, it's like turning left to turn right...

It is extremely competitive. There are many stellar applicants. If I had not gotten in anywhere, I would have wasted thousands of dollars. Also, being a reapplicant can be more challenging as medical schools want to see how you have improved yourself.

Because reapplying SUCKS according to people I've talked to. It's a whole other year of worrying over writing essays, paying app fees, worrying about getting interviews, attending interviews, etc
Just as a reference, I applied to 15 schools (which is on the low end) and spent around $3000 on apps and interviews.

Last edited:
Because reapplying SUCKS according to people I've talked to. It's a whole other year of worrying over writing essays, paying app fees, worrying about getting interviews, attending interviews, etc
Just as a reference, I applied to 15 schools (which is on the low end) and spent around $3000 on apps and interviews.

Well I'll apply broadly (FAP) So I'm only paying for 25 primaries while most of the secondaries are free. I have the entire summer to write my secondaries and am applying on the very first day AMCAS opens. It only takes one for me to get in. If I get rejected from one, there's more where that came from.

Last edited:
All of the above. Additionally, if there's something you can do to massively improve your odds to get you into a better school, you'll likely be happier 4 years down the road come residency applications, or when you have your total med school loans tallied up. I applied with a bad strategy last year -- missing a simple thing from my application -- and I could have maybe scraped my way into a program. Alternatively, having done it "right" (after failing hard), I now have my pick of programs that fit my life/financial situation/etc.

Buy the MSAR. Look at schools and their 10th percentile matriculant mcat, and their median GPA. (I don't know a rational for a school to select someone with a 10th percentile GPA and mcat). You won't have 40 programs that you have a realistic shot for. NY isn't the worst state to apply from, but I don't think it's the best either. Many "lower stat" schools will be:
-other state schools
-private schools with 8-10k apps
-private with specific missions

UMR status may be a boost for you (since we can argue there's a benefit from more UMR physicians), but seriously, it's a competitive process. A stronger mcat (and stuff gathered over a gap year or two) could be the difference between barely scraping into a school and getting a scholarship, going to a school you fall in love with, etc.

Seriously, you're young. It's not a race to the end.

Thanks for the input, I already have the MSAR and I plan to use it to carefully select the schools I will apply to this summer. The 40 schools I will apply to will consist of a good amount of both reach schools and relatively safe school. Nevertheless, I honestly prefer using the fire I have within me to succeed now as opposed to having it watered down over a gap year.
All of the above. Additionally, if there's something you can do to massively improve your odds to get you into a better school, you'll likely be happier 4 years down the road come residency applications, or when you have your total med school loans tallied up. I applied with a bad strategy last year -- missing a simple thing from my application -- and I could have maybe scraped my way into a program. Alternatively, having done it "right" (after failing hard), I now have my pick of programs that fit my life/financial situation/etc.

Buy the MSAR. Look at schools and their 10th percentile matriculant mcat, and their median GPA. (I don't know a rational for a school to select someone with a 10th percentile GPA and mcat). You won't have 40 programs that you have a realistic shot for. NY isn't the worst state to apply from, but I don't think it's the best either. Many "lower stat" schools will be:
-other state schools
-private schools with 8-10k apps
-private with specific missions

UMR status may be a boost for you (since we can argue there's a benefit from more UMR physicians), but seriously, it's a competitive process. A stronger mcat (and stuff gathered over a gap year or two) could be the difference between barely scraping into a school and getting a scholarship, going to a school you fall in love with, etc.

Seriously, you're young. It's not a race to the end.

Last edited:
You yourself have shown why you need to take a gap year and mature a bit. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Take a year, mature a little, add to your application. Put your "fire" into something that will truly make you stand out. Right now you are a poor applicant, and the only thing going for you is your minority status. Just wait and become a strong candidate. There are no "safe schools."
Thanks for the input, I already have the MSAR as it came with the FAP. I plan to use it to carefully select the schools I will apply to this summer. The 40 schools I will apply to will consist of a good amount of both reach schools and relatively safe school. Nevertheless, I honestly prefer using the fire I have within me to succeed now as opposed to having it watered down over a gap year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
So how would a 508 look on my application? Because in all honesty, the 3.45 gpa and 500 are the worst case scenarios after I finish this spring semester as I haven't actually taken the MCAT yet and my cgpa is slightly above a 3.5 with my sgpa being 3.34. My actual MCAT is in 2 and a half months away and 500 is what I have gotten on my most recent MCAT practice test. My most recent practice test goes as follows:
ChemPhys: 125
CARS:123
BioBiochem: 124
PsySoc: 128
As you can see, I have a long way to go in order to reach 508 within these two and a half months. I have the potential to get a 130 in the PsySoc section; my performance in BioBiochem and ChemPhys should definitely increase over the coming weeks as I have not yet finished content review. I have taken about 11 (10 Princeton Review tests over the past couple of weeks, 1 AAMC Practice Test 1 in mid-January, 497) full length practice tests so far (in order to get used to test-taking conditions, build better attention span, better stamina, and most importantly to establish better time management procedures). I have some more full length practice tests to go from Princeton Review, NextStepTestPrep, and AAMC Practice Test 2. I have studied all the princeton review books except the Biology Review and Physics/Math Review so that's where I suspect my points in ChemPhys and Biobiochem are lacking. I should be done studying the Biology Review and Physics/Math review by spring break. However, my CARS section is the bane of my existence. I fluctuate between 123 and 126. Time management conflicts with me reading the passages efficiently.

Please enlighten me on better test-taking strategies moving forward.

P.S. I supposedly registered for 21 credit hours at the beginning of my spring semester sophomore year only to find out after coming back from spring break that my registrar's office screwed me over and that I had wasted over half a semester on a 4-credit hour language course that I wasn't properly registered for and would hence not appear on my transcript for any credit. My performance suffered because of this and I ended up getting a 3.1 gpa that semester as the damage had already been done to my cell biology and set theory grade as I received C's in two of my courses.
That's my sophomore slump in a nutshell.
Any input on how to include this in my personal statement (which I'm currently in the act of editing)?

Last edited:
Any input on how to include this in my personal statement (which I'm currently in the act of editing)?
Your personal statement should be about why you want to be a Doctor. It's not the place to make excuses as to why your sophomore year was not great.

Well I've heard from those before me that part of my personal statement could be used as a venue for explaining discrepancies in my academic performance in prior semesters, just sayin.....
Your personal statement should be about why you want to be a Doctor. It's not the place to make excuses as to why your sophomore year was not great.

Well I've heard from those before me that part of my personal statement could be used as a venue for explaining discrepancies in my academic performance in prior semesters, just sayin.....
Well...in that case, then sure, go ahead and explain away. :rolleyes:

What the...?

There's an mcat forum. Look there for strategies. (ATM I don't like yours)

There's tons of discussion about personal statements on here. I also don't like your plan and would leave it out.

That said, I'll leave you to it. I'm not that interested in spending time trying to help fictional applicants.

Reactions: 6 users
I just got accepted into an MD program with a 501 MCAT. It's rare, but it can happen!

It's hard to have the necessary grades and study for mcar with 18-19 hours. Slow down

I'm pretty used to it, I've been taking aboit 19 credit hours every semester except for my first semester Freshman year and my second semester of sophomore when my college's register office messed me up

[/QUOTE] I'm a bit of an oddball applicant (nontrad, lots of unrelated research, older, etc) and had a cycle of no interviews before this successful one. [/QUOTE]
Congrats on a great cycle this year! Not to hijack OP's thread, but what did you do differently this time around?

I'm pretty used to it, I've been taking aboit 19 credit hours every semester except for my first semester Freshman year and my second semester of sophomore when my college's register office messed me up
The 3.5/500 agrees with me. Slow down

Reactions: 5 users

You might be used to it but it isn't helping you at all. Slow down and work on some grade repair.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Thanks for the input, I already have the MSAR as it came with the FAP. I plan to use it to carefully select the schools I will apply to this summer. The 40 schools I will apply to will consist of a good amount of both reach schools and relatively safe school. Nevertheless, I honestly prefer using the fire I have within me to succeed now as opposed to having it watered down over a gap year.

I don't think you understand how competitive this is. You are young and it is showing in all of your posts here. It doesn't matter how much fire you have when all you are doing is banging B your head against a wall.

You need to slow down, properly prep for the MCAT, and get some good ECs. Right now adcoms will have a hard time having faith in you because you just look like you rushed everything without actually putting any thought into it.

And guess what, adcoms won't care. If it comes down to you and your 19 credits a semester with a 3.5 and the guy who took 12 but has a 3.9+ then guess who gets the spot? Spoiler, it won't be you.

Reactions: 2 users
I just got accepted into an MD program with a 501 MCAT. It's rare, but it can happen!

Same. 501 MCAT. So it is possible to get an acceptance with the OP's numbers. However, I had two years between graduation and obtaining an acceptance to improve my ECs.

OP needs to slow down and look through his application critically to find holes. Take a year and work hard to fill the holes in your application and you likely will obtain a MD acceptance. Also, if you are 19 years old and a junior there should be no hurry to obtain an acceptance. Check out the hyperlink.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321468/data/factstablea6.pdf

Last edited:
OP, you will not be cut any slack because of your age with your application. Giant holes in your application will just look like huge errors in judgement and that you're trying to rush the process. Slow yourself down a bit. Apply to school ONCE with the best application you can have.

Same. Top 50 MD program with 501 MCAT and 3.2 GPA. So it is possible to get an acceptance with the OP's numbers. However, I had two years between graduation and obtaining an acceptance to improve my ECs.

OP needs to slow down and look through his application critically to find holes. Take a year and work hard to fill the holes in your application and you likely will obtain a MD acceptance. Also, if you are 19 years old and a junior there should be no hurry to obtain an acceptance. Check out the hyperlink.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321468/data/factstablea6.pdf
phrases like top 50 come across a little silly....just say you got into med school

Slow down. Slow down. Slow down. Don't rush the process...... What exactly do you mean don't rush the process? You mean I shouldn't shoot my shot now even though I can? To the people saying this, is it because I'm younger than the traditional college junior applicant or because I'm 19 you think that I can't make decent decisions for myself? I hate to spaz out, but it seems to me this would be an entirely different thread if I was 21 or in my late 20s like a non-trad. People say apply when you're on top of you're on top of your game; well as of this point in time, I am. The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of people who don't want to see a guy like me succeed, but one thing is for sure. I am going to kill the MCAT, I am going to apply to MD school this summer, and I WILL GET IN. I don't care if I have a 1 in a million chance, I'm taking that 1 and making my Hail Mary Pass. Now enough with this garbage, no Post-Bach nor gap year will do ANYTHING for me.

Slow down. Slow down. Slow down. Don't rush the process...... What exactly do you mean don't rush the process? You mean I shouldn't shoot my shot now even though I can? To the people saying this, is it because I'm younger than the traditional college junior applicant or because I'm 19 you think that I can't make decent decisions for myself? I hate to spaz out, but it seems to me this would be an entirely different thread if I was 21 or in my late 20s like a non-trad. People say apply when you're on top of you're on top of your game; well as of this point in time, I am. The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of people who don't want to see a guy like me succeed, but one thing is for sure. I am going to kill the MCAT, I am going to apply to MD school this summer, and I WILL GET IN. I don't care if I have a 1 in a million chance, I'm taking that 1 and making my Hail Mary Pass. Now enough with this garbage, no Post-Bach nor gap year will do ANYTHING for me.
The thing is, the more you post like this the more it indicates that you would do better to take time before going to med school. Lets look at the evidence.

1. On Thursday you had an MCAT of 500 you weren't going to take again as you weren't sure you would get a higher score. On Friday you hadn't yet taken the MCAT. So you lied on a thread asking for advice? What's the point of that? You can't possibly get appropriate advice based on lies, and the fact that you tell juvenile lies like that makes me worry about you being ready to be a med student.

2. You have been struggling with time management issues for over a year, and it has affected your performance for your GPA and is now impacting your study for the MCAT.

3. You have said almost nothing about your ECs. You need clinical experience (say 150 hours), you need shadowing including primary care shadowing (say 50 hours), you need non-clinical volunteering (150 hours again). Your research is OK, although not essential for the sort of schools you are likely to get into with GPAs and MCAT at the level you state. Your experience with diverse populations abroad is not relevant for US med school and living in mixed areas is not enough to demonstrate commitment to helping others less fortunate than you.

You are obviously driven and it has got you where you are, which is not a bad place. You probably have a chance of getting into med school on this next application cycle. Your chances would be better if you took another year to concentrate on an upward trend in your GPA, a considered and timely approach to the MCAT and ECs which make you a stand-out candidate rather than a marginal one. Your chances of success once you get to med school would be better if you took that extra year now in which to mature.

Then why did you ask for help if you already have all the answers?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Came in here to check out the state of current candidates.. backpedaling real quick.

Using this saying very incorrectly... but...

OP, don't a mountain of a molehill. You may think you're on top of your game and now is the time, but all you're on top of is a molehill compared to mountains that others have scaled. May take some more climbing to do before you have a better vantage point of what it takes.