Underdog, chances of getting into an MD Medical School? (19 year old applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am going to apply to MD school this summer, and I WILL GET IN. I don't care if I have a 1 in a million chance, I'm taking that 1 and making my Hail Mary Pass. Now enough with this garbage, no Post-Bach nor gap year will do ANYTHING for me.
Are you not open to applying DO? With your stats, it's something I think you should consider.

Members don't see this ad.

You mean I shouldn't shoot my shot now even though I can?

No we are saying you don't have the shot you think you have, you are attempting to heave a shot from the top of the cheap seats into the opposite basket.
is it because I'm younger than the traditional college junior applicant or because I'm 19 you think that I can't make decent decisions for myself?

No, the way you post makes me think you can't make good decisions.
it seems to me this would be an entirely different thread if I was 21 or in my late 20s like a non-trad.

It wouldn't.

People say apply when you're on top of you're on top of your game; well as of this point in time, I am.

You are most definitely not.
I am going to kill the MCAT

Yeah sure. My money is on a score under 505, maybe 50" even if you think MCAT studying and 19 credits is a good way to go.

I am going to apply to MD school this summer, and I WILL GET IN

No you won't. I can tell you right now your app sucks, the only thing you have going for you is that you are AA.

I'm taking that 1 and making my Hail Mary Pass.

Sure, but don't come back and complain how you didn't get any interviews out of your 40 schools next year.

no Post-Bach nor gap year will do ANYTHING for me.

You have some serious maturing to do, and that, above all else, will get your app put straight in the round filing cabinet. Your lack of self awareness is astounding.

Reactions: 7 users
this thread is weird.

AA with a 3.3/25 has the same odds as a 3.7/31 ORM, people saying you have no chance are way off

It's a moot point when you don't actually have a score yet though...and what's with lying to us for the first few posts before saying so?

I am not taking the MCAT again as I am not sure if I will get a higher score than I did before
In a hypothetical situation where I actually do take the MCAT again, could you give me some pointers on doing better
I haven't actually taken the MCAT yet

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
this thread is weird.

AA with a 3.3/25 has the same odds as a 3.7/31 ORM, people saying you have no chance are way off

It's a moot point when you don't actually have a score yet though...and what's with lying to us for the first few posts before saying so?

It's not the numbers, it's the immaturity and lack of ECs. I'm assuming he has none if he has been doing 19 credits a semester and is only 19

Reactions: 2 users
My Mom used to have a great poster hanging in her office. It said "Hire a Teenager While They Still Know Everything". ;)

this thread is weird.

I wanted to see what my chances would be if something bad happened on test day like me getting a 500 or my GPA slipping a little bit before applying. That's all. I'm on track to do way better than a 500 anyway

I concur with the rest. You need to slow down. Take fewer hours. Are you doing like 3 degrees? I'm doing 2 and I didn't need to take 19 hours a semester for four years. If so, drop it down to 1-2. No need to collect all of those papers in exchange for hamstringing your career.

MCAT studying is more than just "an extra class" it takes dedicated time and work and a sound strategy to score well. I do not recommend studying for it on top of course work when you are already struggling to do well in your science classes. Take fewer classes, focus on doing better in those classes, study for the mcat when you have time to focus on it. A 3.3+ GPA with a 508+ MCAT will give you a shot at a lot of medical schools (MD and DO). Work on getting those numbers up.

Don't take so much class. Do you actually enjoy class? I love learning but going to class is a means to an end to me TBH don't know why you would voluntarily take so many classes.

Current MD class of 2020 student; just under 500 Mcat, 4.0 science, 3.65 undergrad from 10+ years ago. I'm in my early 30's, have a badarse story, pretty good extracurriculars, almost no shadowing, no research, some volunteering, experience teaching/receptionisting/banktelling and other random jobs after losing my original dream career to injury.

Want to know how I got into med school, and earned my place amongst a class of amazing and compassionate fellow future doctors? I have people skills honed while holding the hands of the dying and demented in a nursing homes, and while conversing with mentally ill and substance abusing fellow precious human beings. I have the ability to hold a conversation with compassion and respect. I can admit when I don't know or don't understand. I ask for help, listen to it, with genuine humility.

Sure I was told I was a long shot, but I was also told my maturity, my compassion, and my drive to SERVE as a doctor would earn me my acceptance call. So I applied, all while studying to retake the Mcat and also looking into graduate degrees to strengthen my application. I was and still am willing to do anything within my abilities to earn that precious place in the trust of a wounded or sick fellow human. This attitude and this compassion earned me my acceptance call.

What will you do to earn you that call? Why do you want that call?

Reactions: 7 users
OP, you've gotten tons of great advice all pointing in the same direction.

I personally think if: you had a 3.6+ GPA, 510+ MCAT score, and ECs demonstrating you're comfortable with the clinical setting, volunteering, and maybe research, and were determined to go into medicine directly, you could apply MD right away if you felt ready - regardless of your age. Your URM status is a huge boost and will help you land some great acceptances if you could pair it with the above stats/ECs. Maturity is something admissions committees seem to look for in applicants, and while maturity is not necessarily assumed from age, it needs to be apparent throughout your application. This is coming from someone who applied and was accepted this cycle.

I know a genius with a ~77 LizzyM score who is <20 years old and applied to and got into several selective schools (she entered college at 15 though, and is really an outlier). I was super impressed when I met her - she is actually a warm person and has a passion for medicine. The take home message here is that age is not necessarily the limiting factor - it is about demonstrating commitment and maturity.

As others have pointed out, your history of heavy course loads paired with sub-optimal performance and unclear ECs (we dont have much insight into your ECs yet) shows that you're trying to take on too much at once. Especially while studying for your MCAT. It's better to balance out your load while doing your best in each activity, even if that means taking fewer classes or taking an extra year before applying to strengthen your ECs or focus on the MCAT. Maturity includes being able to learn your limits and balance all of your activities, and recognizing when to slow down or pair back.

Reactions: 3 users
Current MD class of 2020 student; just under 500 Mcat, 4.0 science, 3.65 undergrad from 10+ years ago. I'm in my early 30's, have a badarse story, pretty good extracurriculars, almost no shadowing, no research, some volunteering, experience teaching/receptionisting/banktelling and other random jobs after losing my original dream career to injury.

Want to know how I got into med school, and earned my place amongst a class of amazing and compassionate fellow future doctors? I have people skills honed while holding the hands of the dying and demented in a nursing homes, and while conversing with mentally ill and substance abusing fellow precious human beings. I have the ability to hold a conversation with compassion and respect. I can admit when I don't know or don't understand. I ask for help, listen to it, with genuine humility.

Sure I was told I was a long shot, but I was also told my maturity, my compassion, and my drive to SERVE as a doctor would earn me my acceptance call. So I applied, all while studying to retake the Mcat and also looking into graduate degrees to strengthen my application. I was and still am willing to do anything within my abilities to earn that precious place in the trust of a wounded or sick fellow human. This attitude and this compassion earned me my acceptance call.

What will you do to earn you that call? Why do you want that call?
Wow <3 that is beyond beautiful

I don't think your chances are good with a 500 mcat for an md school. 500 is about a 25 on the old scale, and I don't know of anyone personally who's gotten into an md school with a score that low. I'd focus on studying and retaking the mcat.
Stats: 98th percentile mcat, 3.98 gpa, 9 interview offers, 8 attended, 3 acceptances so far
lmao I got a 25 on my MCAT. Ended up getting accepted early decision to an MD state school in the midwest. Now I'm an MS4 top 20% of my med school class, 3.83 GPA in med school, step 1 236, step 2 248. Applying diagnostic radiology with 10 interview invitations so far. Never say never.

MS4 here. I'm here to dispell any rumors about "your MCAT is too low." Personally I got a 25 on my MCAT, took it back in 2012. Didn't retake it. If your MCAT is low, you better highlight other parts of your application and rock any interviews you do get. Apply both MD and DO. 5 years later I'm in the top 20% of my med school class, 3.83 GPA in med school, step 1 236, step 2 248. Applying diagnostic radiology with 10 interview invitations so far. Channel your inner Rocky Balboa, anything is possible as long as you don't quit.

Reactions: 3 users
MS4 here. I'm here to dispell any rumors about "your MCAT is too low." Personally I got a 25 on my MCAT, took it back in 2012. Didn't retake it. If your MCAT is low, you better highlight other parts of your application and rock any interviews you do get. Apply both MD and DO. 5 years later I'm in the top 20% of my med school class, 3.83 GPA in med school, step 1 236, step 2 248. Applying diagnostic radiology with 10 interview invitations so far. Channel your inner Rocky Balboa, anything is possible as long as you don't quit.
Respect ☝️✊

Reactions: 1 user