Underdogs Tell Us Your Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zachdwphoto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished an organic exam :(....not feeling to happy about it...neither was the rest of the class lol....I want to hear some success stories of being accepted into medical school. I realize that there are similar threads, but none of them tell their story. How were you an underdog? How did you overcome? I, myself, am not a genius or particularly great student. I make A's and B's and I have to study a lot. I want to hear about some people like me :)

Members don't see this ad.

I had a 3.1 cGPA and a 2.9 sGPA going into my junior year, including 3 C's (only one ever retaken).

I got accepted about 18 months later with a 3.4/3.15/29 and graduated with a 3.45cgpa/3.2x sgpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.1 cGPA and a 2.9 sGPA going into my junior year, including 3 C's (only one ever retaken).

I got accepted about 18 months later with a 3.4/3.15/29 and graduated with a 3.45cgpa/3.2x sgpa.

That's awesome! How did you manage to raise your grades? Did you change your study habits, or did the courses start to become more intuitive from prior knowledge from past courses thus making it easy for you? I am still trying to find the best study strategy as I want better grades, but so far I haven't been getting any results. I'm still getting a lot of B's.

I wonder if there are any tricks that A students know to get high scores. I tend to try to understand everything from the chapter, but it feels too much to remember for exams. Every time I try to learn a new chapter, I start to forget things from previous chapters. I know you're supposed to review previous chapters a little, but I don't have time because I'm trying to master the current chapter we are learning in lecture.

I'm having trouble figuring out what things I should spend more time on as I tend to spend time equally on every single little detail.
Any tips to improve??

I wonder if there are any tricks that A students know to get high scores. I tend to try to understand everything from the chapter, but it feels too much to remember for exams. Every time I try to learn a new chapter, I start to forget things from previous chapters. I know you're supposed to review previous chapters a little, but I don't have time because I'm trying to master the current chapter we are learning in lecture.

I'm having trouble figuring out what things I should spend more time on as I tend to spend time equally on every single little detail.
Any tips to improve??

3.0/27, 3 interviews, 2 acceptances this cycle.

Best advice I got was from my Orgo TA. Review the material within 3 hours of the class, preferably by rewriting your notes. You remember 70% of what you learn by doing it within 3 hours. If you don't review within 3 hours, you remember less than 20% come test time (assuming you don't review it at all). This was all based on a research study and on his personal experience.

I had two C's in physics, a B in Bio 1 and a B- in Bio 2 prior to learning that. I wound up with an A- in Orgo 1 (with a class average of 69%) and an A- in Orgo 2 (class average of 74%). During the same time as Orgo 1, I also used the same technique in the month I spent studying for the MCAT. (Probably could have done better on that if I had more than a month and both Orgo's under my belt)

I'm pretty sure that the A's in Orgo are what gave me the opportunity to interview at those schools. Without them, I'm just another 3.0 student riding the cusp of having the minimum stats needed for consideration.

Needless to say, it's now the most important study method in my repertoire now. If I happen to miss being able to review immediately after class, I have to study twice as much the days after in order for me to know that I am comfortable with the material. Of course, everyone has their own techniques, but from an underdog perspective, this was my saving grace.

Hope that helps!

3.0/27, 3 interviews, 2 acceptances this cycle.

Best advice I got was from my Orgo TA. Review the material within 3 hours of the class, preferably by rewriting your notes. You remember 70% of what you learn by doing it within 3 hours. If you don't review within 3 hours, you remember less than 20% come test time (assuming you don't review it at all). This was all based on a research study and on his personal experience.

I had two C's in physics, a B in Bio 1 and a B- in Bio 2 prior to learning that. I wound up with an A- in Orgo 1 (with a class average of 69%) and an A- in Orgo 2 (class average of 74%). During the same time as Orgo 1, I also used the same technique in the month I spent studying for the MCAT. (Probably could have done better on that if I had more than a month and both Orgo's under my belt)

I'm pretty sure that the A's in Orgo are what gave me the opportunity to interview at those schools. Without them, I'm just another 3.0 student riding the cusp of having the minimum stats needed for consideration.

Needless to say, it's now the most important study method in my repertoire now. If I happen to miss being able to review immediately after class, I have to study twice as much the days after in order for me to know that I am comfortable with the material. Of course, everyone has their own techniques, but from an underdog perspective, this was my saving grace.

Hope that helps!

When I was about to start my undergrad career, I told my neurologist that I wanted to go to medical school. He knew I was stressing a lot due to my migraines, so he told me 'dont worry, I was an average C student all through college, youll make it'. hahaha little did I know that was like 40 years ago, so when I started getting straight B's through my undergrad career, I didnt sweat it. The fact that I wasnt a competitive applicant didnt hit me til I was applying for a composite recommendation from my pre health committee with a 3.2cGPA 3.1 sGPA and they sincerely laughed at me. My bad. Despite getting straight A's my entire senior year, by then the credit count was too large for it to make any real difference. Of course, the content definitely gets easier later on since you start seeing familiar concepts over and over again, but the grade improvements by then are just too late. If youre like myself and you cant travel back in time to redo your freshman and sophomore year classes again, you should look into graduate degrees. I completed an accelerated one year masters in health science at Hopkins with straight A's (gGPA 3.91) and was finally a competitive applicant. Even though it only helps my GPA a little bit overall, schools sometimes tend to stress the last so many credits earned as a student more so it may result in a stronger GPA increase. When you do get interviews though, they will definitely grill you on your C's if you have any, so use it as an opportunity to show how far youve matured as a student and an individual. Hard work is the key, and since youre still early in your undergrad career, youve got time to pull up your GPA. Not everything goes as we plan, so if necessary there are other options out there (like graduate degrees) so dont get down on yourself. If medicine is really what you want to do for the rest of your life, dont let up, youll get in. If you dont believe me, check out the allopathic thread for underdogs (where the stats are relatively the same as ours except at MD schools where the cutoffs are higher) and youll see students having braved 4 cycles, 4 MCATs and years of health experience to finally reach their goal.

Coming into my senior year I was at a 3.0sgpa 3.3cgoa and a 24 MCAT. I applied anyways and failed to get an acceptance anywhere, not very surprising. I knew my stats were not acceptable and I retook my mcat and ended uo getting a 4.0 for the rest of my undergraduate career. I also had trouble with ochem at first. Ended up retaking both Ochem I and II but I ended uo doing very well the 2nd time around.

Anyways long story short this cycle I ended up with an acceptance at my dream school, DMU and 4 iis. My advice to you is don't give up! Work ur butt off and never ever give up on your dream

That's awesome! How did you manage to raise your grades? Did you change your study habits, or did the courses start to become more intuitive from prior knowledge from past courses thus making it easy for you? I am still trying to find the best study strategy as I want better grades, but so far I haven't been getting any results. I'm still getting a lot of B's.

Any tips to improve??

This is the biggest challenge when approaching courses both before and during med school. I can't say I have fully adapted to doing it in med school yet.

You have to study smarter, not harder and have to start to get a feel for what sort of things can and will be tested on. If you are reading textbooks thoroughly I would probably say that is over-studying. I have only ever used textbooks if they give a good outline of the knowledge needed or for visual aids when the material was poorly presented in class (painfully common). They usually are overbearing with text unless they are a review textbook. My recommendation would be to focus on what is presented in class. Professors may use material from readings in test questions but it would more than likely show up in notes/ppts.

I wish I could better explain what it was that worked for me. It just all clicked. I finally put together a method of studying that worked for me. I am not an auditory or visual learner, at all. I learn primarily by rewriting or talking out/teaching material. Try and figure out what works for you, but focus on active learning methods would be my suggestion.

Reactions: 1 user
Coming into my senior year I was at a 3.0sgpa 3.3cgoa and a 24 MCAT. I applied anyways and failed to get an acceptance anywhere, not very surprising. I knew my stats were not acceptable and I retook my mcat and ended uo getting a 4.0 for the rest of my undergraduate career. I also had trouble with ochem at first. Ended up retaking both Ochem I and II but I ended uo doing very well the 2nd time around.

Anyways long story short this cycle I ended up with an acceptance at my dream school, DMU and 4 iis. My advice to you is don't give up! Work ur butt off and never ever give up on your dream

What did you get on your mcat retake if i may ask ? Also any underdogs find love with a low mcat (<25) and with a high GPA?

What did you get on your mcat retake if i may ask ? Also any underdogs find love with a low mcat (<25) and with a high GPA?

Ended up with a 25 mcat, 3.55c gpa and 3.4sgpa

Still waiting, but also an UD. Finished college with a 3.0s and 3.2 cum. Did a post bac program and finished with about a 3.2. I got a C in Anatomy in the program which really pulled my GPA down. Got a few A-'s but mostly B's. Didn't really like the school I did the program at and didn't want to apply there. My EC's are above average I think and I have a lot of letters. Complete at all schools I applied to. Really like AZCOM, DMU, KCUMB, or CCOM. Applied to 15 schools. MCAT is pretty crappy. I took it as a junior and got an 18 (yikes!) but it is now off my record since it expired. I have a 24 and a 25 on there now. Hoping for the best. Male from Illinois. Live a few 'burbs over from CCOM so it would be nice to stay in the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting, but also an UD. Finished college with a 3.0s and 3.2 cum. Did a post bac program and finished with about a 3.2. I got a C in Anatomy in the program which really pulled my GPA down. Got a few A-'s but mostly B's. Didn't really like the school I did the program at and didn't want to apply there. My EC's are above average I think and I have a lot of letters. Complete at all schools I applied to. Really like AZCOM, DMU, KCUMB, or CCOM. Applied to 15 schools. MCAT is pretty crappy. I took it as a junior and got an 18 (yikes!) but it is now off my record since it expired. I have a 24 and a 25 on there now. Hoping for the best. Male from Illinois. Live a few 'burbs over from CCOM so it would be nice to stay in the area.

Stick with it man!!....If a doctor is what you wanna be...tenacity is the key!!

I have worked as a RN for over 7 years. My first bachelor degree is in History from 2003. In 2007, I received my BSN. About 4 years ago, I decided to go back to school to become a physician because it's what I have always wanted to become (I just have a round-about way of showing it). By this time, I had two children (four now), a mortgage, and very little free time. I went to community college to retake a chemistry class I had received a C in, and to take physics and organic chemistry. By this time, I had well over 200 credits, so it was very hard to even get my cGPA and sGPA to budge upward two-three ticks! Anyway, I managed to get A's in all my CC classes while working fulltime as a nurse, thanks to my super-supportive spouse and God. My AACOMAS cGPA is 3.62 and my sGPA is 3.47.

However, when I first took the MCAT, I bombed it with a 21Q (6,9,6). This left me feeling dejected and Nurse Practitioning bound. Of course, my wife told me to buck up and just retake it! So, I did. I received a 26, which put me back in the running! I applied broadly to 11 schools, and have received 3 interviews so far. I have also been accepted to 2 out of 3 of these so far: ATSU-SOMA and WesternU-COMP. Just waiting to hear back from TCOM.

Don't ever let anyone tell you you're not good enough! Never give up, because desire is a strong emotion, and can be very motivating to improve oneself. I'll be 34 years old when I matriculate (and I'm a whitebread male, not a URM). If I can get in, you can too! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Coming out of Rutgers I had a 2.777 GPA with a Major in Microbial Biotechnology, Minors in Religion and Biochem (but no one really cares about the minors). Took my first MCAT and I was devastated, got an 18. I knew I had good ECs (Firefighter/EMT for 7 years, worked in the ER as a PCT, tons of research, shadowing, awards) but my stats sucked. So I went to the UMDNJ Masters program, kicked butt and ended with a 3.56 GPA and cranked my MCAT score up to a 24. Took on a new job teaching CPR for the American Heart Association and then applied to UMDNJ SOM (Rowan now). They took my Masters GPA to replace my undergrad GPA, got wait-listed and then FINALLY 2 days before the White Coat Ceremony, I got THE call. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Keep your head up.

Also FYI, I didn't do too hot on Orgo as well. No one really does, I think our stat at Rutgers was 60% don't pass Orgo and have their dreams crushed. Doesn't really matter though in my opinion, I was viewed as a subpar student and now I'm doing quite well at Med School.

Reactions: 1 users
Graduated from college with a C and a D in orgo, a C- in Intro Bio 1, a 2.7 sGPA and no upper-div science courses.
Ended up getting an MPH and doing well in that, while simultaneously retaking the full year of ochem at a nearby CC. After finishing the MPH, I worked in research for a year while retaking intro bio 1 at the same CC. With grade replacement, my sGPA was 3.4ish. Kicked butt on the MCAT and got into a bunch of DO schools last cycle. Never got a DO letter.

I'm by no means a stellar medical student so far but have been passing all my classes.

Went to undergrad wanting to be an Op/Ed writer.

Wound up slacking off hard and getting booted out of Pre-Journalism two years later for my mediocre GPA. As it would eventually turn out, this was an amazing thing. I had one of those sink or swim moments and decided I needed to stop playing around so much. I had a lot of friends drop out at that point, and I wasn't about to be next. So I took a semester to explore my career options and my life. I studied abroad. I tried to break myself open socially. I worked on getting in reasonable shape (a life of drinking and eating heavily without exercise took its toll on my body, imagine that). A lot of the things that happened in this interim period would end up being key parts of my application to medical school. If you think it through, a lot of things can be made application-relevant without it being contrived. My parents gently guided me and supported me along the way without pushing too hard.

And so eventually I focused on applying to the radiologic technologist program at my undergrad. There were a lot of entry-level sciences to be taken. Up until this point I had no confidence in my ability to digest the hard sciences, and I did fail my first battery of exams. So I forced myself to adjust my study habits, which was weird coming from being a character slacker.

I wouldn't say I thrived, but I did significantly better. A lot of B grades with some As thrown in there. This was pretty outstanding though, since I had gotten Cs in the sciences in high school. I wound up getting into the program a year or two later. There were a lot of growing pains involving my timeliness and adjustment to the clinical setting, but we made it work and I learned a lot. I got a lot better at working in that setting. But even when I was doing my best work, I sometimes felt a little useless. I wanted to offer my skills to places in need as a volunteer, but most places weren't really looking for rad techs. And my skillset wasn't that useful if the facility didn't have imaging equipment.

So when my parents asked me how I felt about medical school, I said I'd put some thought into it. And with about 6 months left in my rad tech program, I decided I'd go for it. I'd written off the sciences and later came through for myself, I thought maybe I could go to the next level and do the same thing with being a physician. And if I pulled it off, it would let me do all of the things I couldn't as a tech.

Graduated the program and went right back to school for some post-bacc work. My GPA at this point was about 3.3 all around. I was worried about things like Orgo, but I put the time in and had a pretty good TA who helped a bunch of us out for both semesters of it. I even pulled off a couple of As in Pharm and Med Micro. But I had some setbacks too... some poor grades in Genetics and Histology (although I got a lot out of the latter regardless... enough that I could practically punt on the entire subject in med school). I took my MCAT and somehow pulled a 27 when I was practicing around 22-24. So I guess some of my story is just dumb luck!

I went to put my application together and I was pretty sure I'd be fighting until the last day of the cycle to get in (~3.1 all around on AACOMAS with 27 MCAT), even with 22 or so schools on my list. I was wrong. Accepted to one of my top choices in November, and finished with 7 interview invites.

2.8 sGPA, 3.1 cGPA. I focused really hard on networking and learning as much about medicine as I could before applying. I also stayed with my volunteer gigs my entire undergraduate career, which led to me getting some pretty awesome responsibilities.

I volunteered at a homeless clinic, including orchestrating a vaccination campaign for the 2009 H1N1 pandemic in which we vaccinated about 4000 people (most in the state).

I volunteered 3 years at a summer camp for teens with cancer.

I learned Portuguese and spent a summer volunteering with the US Navy in SE Asia, including camping out in the jungle and doing clinics there.

I got EMT-IA certified, which helped with just about everything I listed above.

And when it was all said and done and it was time to apply I wasn't feeling good because of my GPA, but I told myself I was at least going to take the MCAT and see what happened. Unfortunately I only gave myself 2 weeks to prepare. I took it and got a 30 with my lowest score (7) in physical sciences. Had I been able to be consistent across all 3 sections I could have gotten a 35 or so.

Either way, I went ahead and applied, late (October) but got multiple interview invites. My top school was first and when I got the word that is gotten in I went ahead and cancelled the remaining interviews.

Lots of luck on my part, but I feel like persistence, dedication to service, great recommendations, and an overall interesting application played a huge role in my success as well.

2.8 sGPA, 3.1 cGPA. I focused really hard on networking and learning as much about medicine as I could before applying. I also stayed with my volunteer gigs my entire undergraduate career, which led to me getting some pretty awesome responsibilities.

I volunteered at a homeless clinic, including orchestrating a vaccination campaign for the 2009 H1N1 pandemic in which we vaccinated about 4000 people (most in the state).

I volunteered 3 years at a summer camp for teens with cancer.

I learned Portuguese and spent a summer volunteering with the US Navy in SE Asia, including camping out in the jungle and doing clinics there.

I got EMT-IA certified, which helped with just about everything I listed above.

And when it was all said and done and it was time to apply I wasn't feeling good because of my GPA, but I told myself I was at least going to take the MCAT and see what happened. Unfortunately I only gave myself 2 weeks to prepare. I took it and got a 30 with my lowest score (7) in physical sciences. Had I been able to be consistent across all 3 sections I could have gotten a 35 or so.

Either way, I went ahead and applied, late (October) but got multiple interview invites. My top school was first and when I got the word that is gotten in I went ahead and cancelled the remaining interviews.

Lots of luck on my part, but I feel like persistence, dedication to service, great recommendations, and an overall interesting application played a huge role in my success as well.

Wow, well those are some pretty amazing, unique ECs!! Congrats to you on your success!!

I thought maybe I could go to the next level and do the same thing with being a physician. And if I pulled it off, it would let me do all of the things I couldn't as a tech.
MhX8nd

Graduated with a BA in an allied health field, achieving a 3.65 without ever studying very hard--or really having to try at all. Based upon the urging of a couple professors, as well as the encouragement of friends and family, I decided to switch careers and pursue a career as a physician. I got into my first semester of pre-reqs, approaching it the same way I had approached school my whole life (that is to say that I didn't really try very hard), and I got pummeled! I took Gen Chem 1, Bio 1, and A&P, getting a C in both Chem and Bio, but getting an A in A&P (thankfully, my background had me well-prepared for that class); but, wow, what a wake-up call!I began a second semester with Physics, Bio 2, and Chem 2, only to continue getting my rear end handed to me, so I jumped on it and dropped the classes, taking W's as opposed to more C's.

Well, needless to say, this led to a crisis. I consulted the friends, family, and professors--as well as a mentor of mine who is a physician--and they all collectively slapped my face and told me what should have been so glaringly obvious: Try. The doc mentoring me told me to basically create my own, DIY, post-bacc, filling my time with so much school and EC that I had no time available with which to slack off. Here I am now, in my third semester, but having started over completely. I'm back in Chem 1, Physics 1, and taking Microbiology (all with labs), all while working in a free clinic full time, and also raising a baby son. This equates to zero free time. I'm happy to report that I have all A's this semester, going into the last month before finals, with no signs of slipping from this position. I think my saving grace will be the grade replacement that DO schools offer, because my sGPA has been badly beaten up with the C's and W's by this point. I'm still hoping to drop an application in my state allopathic school, because they have such a favorable bias to in-state applicants, and will guarantee an interview for 3.2 GPA and 24 MCAT (plus I have a very strong relationship and LOR from the dean of admissions at that school).

Anyway: underdog here, and glad to join with the others for the support.

Last edited:
Ill bite.

I went to Ohio State for undergrad. I ****ed around WAY to much.

Biochem: D
O Chem 251: F
Retake O Chem 251 A
O Chem 252: C
O Chem 253: D
Retake O Chem 253: B-

Graduating GPA: 3.23

MCAT: 22, 25, 27

Ended up doing a Masters in Public Health because I was considering law school, it was free (Grad Research Associate)

GPA: 4.0

Went to CCOM. Graduated top 25%.

Matched into an ortho residency

Matched first choice for fellowship at what is universally considered an "elite" institution.

You want it? Its out there. Go get it.

Reactions: 10 users
Ill bite.

I went to Ohio State for undergrad. I ****** around WAY to much.

Retake O Chem 251 A

Ended up doing a Masters in Public Health because I was considering law school, it was free (Grad Research Associate)

Matched first choice for fellowship at what is universally considered an "elite" institution.

Thanks Buckeye!!

Ill bite.

I went to Ohio State for undergrad. I ****** around WAY to much.

Retake O Chem 251 A

I'm following your foot steps...all the way!:thumbup:

I really did almost give up hope on getting into med school; I got low B's in pretty much all undergraduate science courses at Cornell despite studying like CRAZY. Didn't get enough clinical experience in time to be noted on my application so all the schools thought I had none. My advisors all had given me that look of pity, and suggested I try to apply again in a later cycle. I'd had only one interview in January of that year that waitlisted me right away, and by the time February/March of my senior year rolled around I was freaking out to say the least. I'd applied to 25 different schools and had been rejected at that point by all but 9 or 10.

Sooooo, I got some additional letters of recs from my professors, updated transcripts, and drafted letters of intent. I spent 3 weekends straight driving all around the Northeast to visit the admissions offices of all the schools that hadn't answered me and asked to see their deans. A lot of them didn't want to see me, but at the very least I got a face put to my name at all those schools. I got ONE additional interview, and finally got accepted 3 days before I graduated college. Best graduation gift, and amazing feeling.

Don't give up. Fight for what you want, and you'll get there.

Never, never give up!
EMT-P, ER RN, taught ACLS, member AHA.

MCAT 27
Went to Indian Health Service to cry/gain more experience.
MCAT 35

Med school-East Coast-4th yr clinical-Christiana Care
Matched-Residency dual IM/ER
Fellowship-Pulmonary Critical Care

Some of it is a blurr. Still being a resident when the rest of your med school class are boarded attendings sucks. Passing both ABIM and ABEM is expensive & draining.
But, life as CCU Intensivist is rewarding and our team works hard in achieving great outcomes in very sick patients.
Edited for privacy.

I am an underdog but I am mostly just lucky.

Traditional applicant
3.16 cGPA sGPA 3.45
MCAT 25
Shadowed two doctors 1 MD, 1 DO. 600+ combined shadowing hours. Volunteered in a convalescent home for 300 + hours.
I think my personal statement was really good, but I guess everyone thinks their own is really good haha
Very strong LOR from MD and DO.

Applied to 30+ schools late in the cycle. Applied September, verified in October.
I so far have had two interviews and one acceptance. Plenty of holds and only about 6 rejections.
I think I would have landed more interviews had I applied earlier in the cycle but there is still hope. It is not too late in the cycle, I am just glad I have one acceptance so far.

Try to be a very well rounded applicant. I had a poor GPA my freshmen year and was able to slowly bring it back up, it wasn't a terrible GPA but it was definitely not good. Took the MCAT is August, did well on my last few practice tests (30) but I hadn't taken Organic yet and I was a little shaky on particle motion for physics. So of course, I had a organic heavy MCAT and two particle motion passages lol. So be prepared for everything. If there is something you don't understand well, don't take it until you have mastered it. I had a decent amount of shadowing on volunteering hours. I wrote what I thought to be a really good personal statement and secondaries.

Also don't do what I did and apply to 30 schools and press send. I was way too ancy to apply. Looking back at it I could have trimmed off at least 10 schools off the list, schools that are regionally biased. The only schools I didn't apply to were ones with GPA cut offs. I trimmed the amount of secondaries I sent though. So do research before you press send and you can save yourself some money.

Point of my story is that it can happen. You can get in despite what most people think your chances are. My words of advice, if you think you can do it, do it. Make sure you apply early in the cycle and apply broadly. I know mine is more of a chance of luck rather than me overcoming adversity, but I made it. Best of luck to all the other underdogs out there!

Had a 2.5ish after fall of junior year. I ended up transferring for personal reasons to another university and decided to change my life around. Spent 4 semesters (~90 hours) at my new university doing gpa repair and ended up graduating w/ a 3.8. Retook 3 courses at a community college as well for the grade replacement but ended up being averaged in (can probably figure out what school I'm at). With the repair, got my gpa to 3.4-3.5. Did a masters program and got a 3.8 and then got accepted.

Took the MCAT twice. The second time was in the master's program to help with my chances.