Undergoing MEB and terrified

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILoveNY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an intern and was diagnosed with depression and removed from clinical duties. I'm currently seeing a military psychiatrist and was placed on medication. I was very unhappy in residency, a combination of poor fit in my specialty choice and living in a city with no family/friends/support system. The psychiatrist initiated an MEB and feels that being in the military is an overall poor fit for me. Though the stress of internship has been alleviated, I'm still struggling with cyclic depression, and now I have the added anxiety/stress of "what's going to happen to me?" I am 4 year HPSP and I have now clue as to what the military could do to me. I do not want to return to residency training in my previous specialty because I know how stressful it was. I am open to other specialties but the military had it's selection board already, and military match is not like civilian training where I can just contact program directors for "open slots." I was given the option of returning to my residency, but I refused, and the psychiatrist agreed that it wasn't a good idea. I don't know what to do. Basically, I have to sit tight for this MEB decision, but I'm terrified that the miltary could force me into some "random" job to repay my service obligation instead of discharging me, letting me complete a civilian residency, and then pay them back. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I am an intern and was diagnosed with depression and removed from clinical duties. I'm currently seeing a military psychiatrist and was placed on medication. I was very unhappy in residency, a combination of poor fit in my specialty choice and living in a city with no family/friends/support system. The psychiatrist initiated an MEB and feels that being in the military is an overall poor fit for me. Though the stress of internship has been alleviated, I'm still struggling with cyclic depression, and now I have the added anxiety/stress of "what's going to happen to me?" I am 4 year HPSP and I have now clue as to what the military could do to me. I do not want to return to residency training in my previous specialty because I know how stressful it was. I am open to other specialties but the military had it's selection board already, and military match is not like civilian training where I can just contact program directors for "open slots." I was given the option of returning to my residency, but I refused, and the psychiatrist agreed that it wasn't a good idea. I don't know what to do. Basically, I have to sit tight for this MEB decision, but I'm terrified that the miltary could force me into some "random" job to repay my service obligation instead of discharging me, letting me complete a civilian residency, and then pay them back. Any advice?

[bolds mine]

I think you have it right there. You won't be doing anything else until that is over.

Unless you can be successfully trained, you can't be assigned as a medical officer. Forcing you into a non-medical job to extract labor for the scholarship might be legal, but could undermine your therapeutic plan.

My guess is that they will board you out and probably recommend no disability. You might get a better deal through the V.A., though. Whether the service branch has any options in financial recovery is something for lawyers to think about, but I wouldn't worry. It sounds as if you kept up your end of the bargain. If you had gotten M.S. or developed a seizure disorder, you would be in the same situation, perhaps even more certain of a separation.

Good luck and I hope you get well.

If they release you form the military, they might bill you a prorated amount for your HPSP scholarship since you can't complete your contract. Check out this thread for more info: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=616254

Hang in there as best you can. Internship is a tough time no matter where you are. Everyone struggles. The trick is finding a balance between your personal problems and work.

If you can, I would recommend going back to work and sticking through it while you await your PEB findings. Maybe you could complete your internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can, I would recommend going back to work and sticking through it while you await your PEB findings. Maybe you could complete your internship.

Not sure about going back to do this, particularly if this would exacerbate previous condition. Plus it's an awkward thing, to go back to work with colleagues after something like this.

Also not sure if it would influence MEB findings: if you go back to your previous job and perform adequately then the MEB board may simply say well, this person can obviously still do their job and return you to duty. Given your post, it doesn't sound like this is what you want.

I don't think that they could simply ship you off to GMO land somewhere as this requires a completed internship with medical license.

I forgot to mention that I tried to quit a few months into residency, noticing that something was seriously wrong with my emotional and physical health. However, when I approached my PD, he said that I could not just "quit." He said I had to finish out the intern year, then I would be allowed to resign residency, and then "other options" would be revealed to me. Unfortunately, I couldn't handle it. My clinical performance was taking a nosedive and I cracked one day.

On most state medical license applications, credentialing forms and insurance panel applications there are a number of questions that would apply to you. For example you were incapacitated and unable perform your duties, you took psych meds and had to resign your training program. You might have also had to surrender your clinical credentials.

Having a problem and getting help is good and it shows accountability on your part but please make sure you don't do anything unprofessional that would look bad on your record later.