Undergrad...and Residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hejman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was looking at a document outlining the competitiveness of certain specialties, specifically the ones I am interested in (Ophthalmology, Radiology, Dermatology and Plastic Surgery) and it seems like your undergraduate institution's prestige, as well as your performance in undergrad is scrutinized by some programs in the aforementioned fields. Can any medical students/adcoms corroborate this? If this is true, its quite scary, because I gave up an ivy league education for a cheaper, but still effective education, at my local state school. I would hate to be at a disadvantage when it came time to apply to these residencies, even if I did very well in medical school. (I have been accepted to a top 15, and a top 40 at this point)

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, medical schools do not consider your undergraduate performance. That would be analogous to medical schools considering your high school performance. It's all about clinical rotation grades and step 1. For very competitive residencies, add in basic science grades, AOA, and research.

I am an MS3 who will be applying in about half a year, although not to the fields you mentioned. I have never heard anything about residency programs scrutinizing your undergraduate record. Things like publications from undergraduate research would be a plus, but in general I think they only care about your medical school performance, just like no medical school cares how you did in high school.

Don't stress about it. Do well in college, do well in medical school, you will end up in a good place. Take it one step at a time and try to have fun with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an MS3 who will be applying in about half a year, although not to the fields you mentioned. I have never heard anything about residency programs scrutinizing your undergraduate record. Things like publications from undergraduate research would be a plus, but in general I think they only care about your medical school performance, just like no medical school cares how you did in high school.

Don't stress about it. Do well in college, do well in medical school, you will end up in a good place. Take it one step at a time and try to have fun with it.

I had to send my undergrad transcripts or MCAT to some residency programs that I am applying to this year (in Orthopedic Surgery).

Well whatever way it goes, you can't do anything about it now, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep kicking ass.

The only thing those fields have in common is being relatively competitive, and considered lifestyle-friendly. In terms of the actual work, nothing similar at all. At this stage in the game, I doubt you have sufficient exposure to all of them to be legitimately interested in such a wide variety of medicine.

I applied in an absurdly competitive specialty and nobody cares where I went to undergrad. Your efforts in med school speak for themselves.