Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drj95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your professor sounds like a chump if you really did confess it. When do you apply?

I remember that site from AP English in highschool. It was so annoying to have some things pop up flagged when they were 100% original or you forget to quote. think you'll be fine if you truly didn't plagiarize.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply!
Yeah he's just a strict guy.
Either this year or next year.

Turn it in catches plagiarism by comparing word for word in the order. as long as 3 exactly order words in a paragraph, they are caught.

to be honest, I see MANY people plagiarizing straight off the bat by just reword all the sentences but still carry the same meaning. the trick is to read the paper and then rewrite it based on how you remember it (you will not be able to copy word for word)

thus turnitin.com is just there to catch the noob plagiarizers while majority of them get away and punish these noobs very harshly to make an example.

you must have put in there 3 very very similar sentences for turnitin.com to match it to the existing paper. like half of the sentence is exactly the same then yes, what your professor do is right but he doesn't have to resort to the right way to ruin a student's academic career.

OP, I think you should elaborate more on what your professor said. What did he say he will do? In general, a lot of these cases will be handed over to Judicial Affairs and first-time offenders are given a warning rather than a punitive disciplinary action. That is usually reserved for repeat offenders and bigger academic criminals, so to speak. FYI, the way how judicial affairs works is analogous to a legal process of prosecution and defense where you will get a fair chance to explain yourself in a hearing and even appeal the decision should you disagree with it. But I highly doubt you'll have to do so since the weight of your wrongdoing is relatively light.

Last edited:
For future reference, 'write check' is turn it ins partner database for students, where you can check for plagiarism of your papers for a small fee. One of my english classes has a portfolio of 3 papers due at the end of the semester and for only 8$ I was able to put all the papers in one doc (15 pages or so) and check for plagiarism, and resubmit and keep checking up to 3 times. Great for things like this. Hope all goes well with your situation

I'm teaching right now, and I use turnitin all the time.

I'm confused as to what you did. Did you essentially copy four sentences and turnitin correctly identified the source material? Did you at least change the sentences around and put them into your own words? Maybe most importantly, did you cite the source material? Also, your prof. might have her/his settings set more liberally or conservatively. I bet you can defend yourself from this as long as it isn't copy/paste.

Reactions: 1 user
I am assuming you are telling the truth and didn't copy word for word like a fool.

step 1. lawyer
step 2. lawyer
step 3. lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.