1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

undergrad committee letter needed??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by medical mind, Apr 3, 2002.

1. medical mind

medical mind Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

are undergrad committee ( composite rec letters) needed for med school appications?? or can you apply with individual rec letters? I'm looking into post-bacc programs and many have credit req'mts and conditions for their committee support. Is it necessary? or can i do it own my own? thanx ! ---MM :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    if you have the opportunity to use a committee system and turn it down, you'll have to explain yourself to the medical schools (in writing) as to why you are going without.

4. medical mind

7+ Year Member

yeah, i figured an "unsupported applicant" would be weak.

5. Boomboom

Boomboom Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical schools will definitely be skeptical if you have the option of a committee recommendation, but turn it down. As oldman pointed out, you will have to explain yourself to the schools.

On the other hand, I think it can be very beneficial to go through the committee process. I think a supportive committee letter may often be valued even more than individual recommendations. I think this really helped my application.

6. medical mind

7+ Year Member

thanks !! :D

i was considering skipping an undergrad committee rec due to time.....
    i'm anxious to get goin' and all post-bacc programs require a minimum of X credits before they will consider your app. for committee support. i later plan to do a masters...which will write a committee letter...so i was kinda anxious to fly thru the rest of the pre-med req's. guess not. :rolleyes: