Undergrad Coursework Rigor for Non-Trads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banana_phone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

25 y/o non-trad, applying next cycle. I just reviewed my official transcript from my undergrad institution as I was preparing a packet to give to a LOR writer. I realized that, while my cGPA is very high from this institution (3.93), I did take a lot of PE classes. I transferred as an undergrad, and decided to take on a 2-year major a year late, so I was forced into 5 years of undergrad. I took the PE classes out of interest in health and fitness, and to insure I was a full-time student.

The PE classes are pass/fail only. While my actual courses at this uni were almost entirely A's (save for one B+ in Geology and a C+ in a non-science course--irresponsibility), I'm worried about looking lazy. I also have 2 Ws from PE courses due to injury, and 1 W from a non-science course due to lack of interest in the course, and being irresponsible/not knowing I was going to pursue an MD.

Currently, I have a 4.0 in my post-bacc with only Biochem and Bio II left to take, as far as prereqs. Will I look uncommitted due to the PE courses and several Ws? Is there any way to remedy this? I majored in Elementary Ed and took several science +math courses (w/o lab) in addition to my education courses. I'm worried that my lack of responsibility as an undergrad will come back to bite me now.

About Me:
-Post-Bacc GPA: 4.0
-Current AMCAS sGPA: ~3.9
-Current AMCAS cGPA: ~3.85
-Total W's from undergrad: 5
-1 F from freshman year - retook and earned B+
-Withdrew from M.Ed program after realizing Education wasn't for me, to pursue my dream of becoming a doc

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say either way but you have great stats all around so I can't see why it would affect you negatively. But I'm not an adcom so perhaps someone like @Goro can answer more accurately. Do you have good ECs?

Hi everyone,

25 y/o non-trad, applying next cycle. I just reviewed my official transcript from my undergrad institution as I was preparing a packet to give to a LOR writer. I realized that, while my cGPA is very high from this institution (3.93), I did take a lot of PE classes. I transferred as an undergrad, and decided to take on a 2-year major a year late, so I was forced into 5 years of undergrad. I took the PE classes out of interest in health and fitness, and to insure I was a full-time student.

The PE classes are pass/fail only. While my actual courses at this uni were almost entirely A's (save for one B+ in Geology and a C+ in a non-science course--irresponsibility), I'm worried about looking lazy. I also have 2 Ws from PE courses due to injury, and 1 W from a non-science course due to lack of interest in the course, and being irresponsible/not knowing I was going to pursue an MD.

Currently, I have a 4.0 in my post-bacc with only Biochem and Bio II left to take, as far as prereqs. Will I look uncommitted due to the PE courses and several Ws? Is there any way to remedy this? I majored in Elementary Ed and took several science +math courses (w/o lab) in addition to my education courses. I'm worried that my lack of responsibility as an undergrad will come back to bite me now.

About Me:
-Post-Bacc GPA: 4.0
-Current AMCAS sGPA: ~3.9
-Current AMCAS cGPA: ~3.85
-Total W's from undergrad: 5
-1 F from freshman year - retook and earned B+
-Withdrew from M.Ed program after realizing Education wasn't for me, to pursue my dream of becoming a doc

Elementary education? Is it actually easier to choose a major like that, instead of filling the rest of your core with academically challenging courses?
I mean a Biology major VS Elementary education major. I guess they don't care what you do outside of the prerequisites.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have ~180 clinical hours volunteering in ER/hospitals, ~12 shadowing hours, ~300 non-clinical volunteering in schools

Will add about 4 hrs/week in hospital this year, work as a Genetics TA, and volunteering in a cancer research lab. Also, a 3-week intensive academic trip to Thailand to investigate tuberculosis transmission between elephants and humans.

I guess my concern is looking like I took it too easy in undergrad, with all the PE electives, and even still, had 5 embarrassing and totally unnecessary Ws over the 5 years. I wish I could go back and slap young me! I was at no risk of failing the two academic courses I withdrew from -- just didn't want to go anymore :(

From what I understand, this is exactly what a rigorous post-bacc is for: showing you can do well under a heavy load of hard sciences regardless of previous background. There are plenty of art/lit/whatever majors out there who have gone the post-bacc route. It's why it exists.

The MCAT will be your Great Equalizer, proving you've learned, retained, and can apply what you know.

Reactions: 1 users