Faupremed

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2014
I have two options for undergrad.
Uf (usnews top 50 ug college [tied for 49]), no financial aid
Fau - unranked, 22k (5.5k a year, top offered) scholarship, honors program.

The issue here is obviously prestige. I really want med school, and would prefer fau, but i dont want my choice of ug uni to hinder me. What do you all recommend? Im positive at Fau ill pull off the grades but the unranked characteristic kills me. Im seriously awake at night often because i cant decide. Also, while the 22k scholarship helps my family is well off enough to where they said to not consider it when choosing.

Last edited:

lazyindy

7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2011
New York, NY
Status
Dental Student
good grades and scholarship (less debt). This is a no-brainer go with Fau and go to sleep ;)

Euxox

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would go to FAU because to be honest, I don't think the top 50 label is worth 22k a year. Top 10 maybe, but not top 50.

If you want a viewpoint that doesn't take the scholarship money into account, here is a post I made in an old thread:
Rank is definitely an important thing to consider, just not in the way most people think about it. You shouldn't be doing "rank arithmetic." When you compare schools A and B, you shouldn't be thinking rank 10 always beats rank 15, or rank 15 with a $10,000 scholarship is roughly equal to rank 25 with a $20,000 scholarship. You should treat the difference between high and low rank like most people treat big vs. small student body, liberal arts college vs. university, in state vs. out of state, or public vs. private.

Classes at a highly ranked school will challenge you more and you might learn things in a bit more depth. Highly ranked schools also give you more opportunities to meet and interact with world-renowned professors. Lower ranked schools, meanwhile, will give you a chance to really stand out from the crowd, to take leadership positions in clubs and really take those organizations above and beyond, to focus a little less on classwork and more on other interests that might make you a more well rounded med school applicant (or person in general).

There is no right or wrong answer regarding the importance of school rank. It is a personal preference, just like big vs. small class size, liberal arts college vs. university, in state vs. out of state, public vs. private.

OP
F

Faupremed

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2014
I would go to FAU because to be honest, I don't think the top 50 label is worth 22k a year. Top 10 maybe, but not top 50.

If you want a viewpoint that doesn't take the scholarship money into account, here is a post I made in an old thread:
Its 22k total over 4 years.

Euxox

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Its 22k total over 4 years.
In that case, I wouldn't choose the college based on the scholarship. 22k over four years is not a lot compared to the overall costs.

As far as comparing a top 50 school to an unranked school (with money out of the picture), I think my earlier post has some good advice.

Euxox

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The plot thickens. According to US News (and a couple of other websites), FAU has a four year graduation rate of 15%. That has to be one of the lowest in the country. Huge red flag. I would definitely advise doing more research into the quality of education at FAU.

Last edited:
Reactions: idkididk

solitarius

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Even if prestige is something you value, UF is not prestigious enough to take on the extra debt.

Reality: both schools will position you well for Florida medical schools. Aiming higher is going to take serious achievements at either place.

Euxox

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Even if prestige is something you value, UF is not prestigious enough to take on the extra debt.
The cost of attendance at UF is $20,220 (per semester) compared to $22,181 at FAU. If we factor in the 22k scholarship at FAU, then over four years the total extra cost of UF will be $6,312 (or $1,578 per year). I think that is the range where we consider the costs to be essentially equivalent.

@Faupremed, after looking up the actual costs of attendance of these two schools, I can say the scholarship is a non-issue. Absolutely do not go to FAU just because of the scholarship. Unless you have some other strong reason for going to UF (family lives close by and you want/need to stay close to home, etc.), I would go to UF. It seems much stronger than FAU academically.

Last edited:
Reactions: solitarius

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Challenge yourself. Go to UF.

Reactions: BlueLabel

BlueLabel

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Definitely Florida, the pricetag of the two schools is essentially identical even with the scholarship. Plus SEC football whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo gaterzzzzz

OP
F

Faupremed

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2014
Wow didnt see that low grad rate. Uf has an 85% over 6 year rate.

Plot thickens?

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Misread the numbers... If it's less than 40k difference between the two, go with UF. If it's more than 40k, go with FAU.

Euxox

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Plot thickens?
Before reading the graduation statistic, I would have said that you should go to whichever university feels like a better fit. But now it seems like UF is an unambiguously better option than FAU. So unless you have some other really important reason for going to FAU that you haven't mentioned yet, I would recommend going to UF.

OP
F

Faupremed

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2014
Before reading the graduation statistic, I would have said that you should go to whichever university feels like a better fit. But now it seems like UF is an unambiguously better option than FAU. So unless you have some other really important reason for going to FAU that you haven't mentioned yet, I would recommend going to UF.
Why would the low grad rate affect me if i finish the degree in 4 years though? Is it just negative towards me because it contributes to the bad rep of the uni?