Undergrad Elective Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altitude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the third of my four-year undergraduate science degree and need to choose one of the following two electives. Which of the two should I choose or does it not make a difference?

1st option:
-100-level physics class
-Topic: astronomy
-Pro: am highly passionate about the material for this class; will get an A; could relate it to my ECAs; material is not related to my degree (--> diversity)
-Con: 100-level

2nd option:
-200-level psychology class
-Topic: neuroscience
-Pro: will get an A
-Con: uninterested in the class material; material is related to my degree

I'd prefer the 1st option, but am worried about it being a 100-level course. Should I take it because I am much more interested it or will it lesser my transcript.

Does it make no difference (i.e. will admission officers not care about these types of things)?

Members don't see this ad.

A question to current medical students (future doctors):

Did you take any 100-level electives in the 3rd (of 4) year of your undergraduate degree?

Does it look bad to take 100-level courses in your 3rd year?

Please provide your opinion as you are current medical students and have gone through the whole undergrad process!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've already taken two other 100-level classes in the past. Does this change your opinion at all?

And I completely agree with your point, but am more worried about whether it could have a negative effect on my transcript.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the reply!

the 100 level class. A 200 level class won't really "impress" adcoms much anyways.

A question to current medical students (future doctors):

Did you take any 100-level electives in the 3rd (of 4) year of your undergraduate degree?

Does it look bad to take 100-level courses in your 3rd year?

Please provide your opinion as you are current medical students and have gone through the whole undergrad process!

Premeds are continuing to get more anal than ever I see :laugh:. But to answer your question, unless you're taking 12 credit hours with 6 of them being pass/fail underwater basketweaving (or w/e) admissions personnel won't care. Crush the MCAT, keep your GPA up and do some research/volunteering, importance in that order respectively, and you will get in.

Take the class you are interested in. No contest. You will get neuro in med school anyway.

No, it doesn't look bad to take lower division courses in 3rd and 4th years because sometimes, people save those required courses for later. For instance, I took most of my 300 level electives during freshman and sophomore years, and then I took the required 100/200 level classes during junior year. Unless your whole schedule is filled with 100 level classes, I don't think anyone will notice or care.

1st option, obviously. Or you could do both if you're so sure you can get an A in both classes.

the 100 level class. A 200 level class won't really "impress" adcoms much anyways.

why is that? some institutions do not follow the 100, 200, 300, 400 level scheme. there's variability to the point that i'd like to think the adcoms give less heed to the course number but instead the class title itself. for example, histology at my school was 200 level.

Thanks for all the responses!

I didn't take any 100-level electives this past semester, but took 1 in each of the two semesters last school year.

Members don't see this ad :)
why is that? some institutions do not follow the 100, 200, 300, 400 level scheme. there's variability to the point that i'd like to think the adcoms give less heed to the course number but instead the class title itself. for example, histology at my school was 200 level.

I meant in general, an A in a class above the previous level will likely not be much (if, at all) a factor in an adcom's decision-- especially in OP's case, as the decision is between a neuroscience course and an astronomy course.

I didn't take any 100-level electives this past semester, but took 1 in each of the two semesters last school year.
Are you applying after this semester or in 1.5 years? If the former, what other coursework will you take at the same time for this term? I'm looking for something that would be considered to have more rigor.

Applying after next semester (during Fall 2012). This semester I am taking two 200-level courses and two 300-level courses. Next semester (Fall 2012), I will not be taking any 100-levels, but will be taking mostly 300+-level course

Applying after next semester (during Fall 2012). This semester I am taking two 200-level courses and two 300-level courses. Next semester (Fall 2012), I will not be taking any 100-levels, but will be taking mostly 300+-level course
I am thinking about what will be seen on your AMCAS transcript with a grade when you apply (ideally before next fall, but that's another issue). Considering the other coursework you'll be taking and the timing of the previous 100-level classes, I think you'll be fine with a 100-level this semester.

I don't think one or two would matter in the 3rd/4th years of undergrad. I took one entry-level 100 course my senior year. I somehow forgot to take a classics course for the first three years and realized I needed one to graduate so took it senior year. If they ask you in an interview why you had a few entry level courses later on in undergraduate, you just need to have a good, honest answer.

It's not really a problem. Some people need to in order to fulfill gen ed requirements. I took a few because I thought the classes would be interesting (and you kind of need to start at a lower level for many subjects if you've never taken any).

Don't stress about it.

Doesn't 126 hours always add up to 126? It doesn't matter how you get there.

Sent from my medical tricorder using Tapatalk

Allo is a forum for medical students to discuss topics that are relevant to them currently; many medical students frequently post in pre-allopathic and pre-osteopathic to answer these kinds of questions as well.

Moving to pre-allopathic.

Also, yes, and no, respectively.

I don't think there is really that much difference between a 100-level and 200-level class; neither are considered upper division. I also don't think medical schools really care how difficult your electives were. Outside of pre-reqs, I would guess the only upper level classes that matter would be ones that directly relate to medical school (i.e. bio or chem).