Undergrad fraternity/sorority?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dont see how being a member of a fraternity could do anything but help your application. It shows you are capable of actual human interaction and not just a library hermit.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont see how being a member of a fraternity could do anything but help your application. It shows you are capable of actual human interaction and not just a library hermit.

It is not fair, but everyone has an opinion of the greek system. If a bunch of SAEs sit on the admissions board at a school, you are going to get an advantage. But for every greek there is also a anti-greek who has a negative opinion of them. Such is life, it is a coin flip.

Anyone know what % of doctors were greek? I doubt it is very high at all, especially when compared to other fields.

Members don't see this ad :)
LadyWolverine, what sorority were you in?!? I'm currently a freshman at U of Michigan finishing up my first year! How did you find the time to take all those premed science classes, deal with sorority events, AND have a part time job?! That sounds ridiculous!

Also, I'm going to say that girls are generally more academically oriented, whereas the fraternity brothers aren't as studious, plus most of the fraternity brothers I know are all in the business school/ easy major.

LadyWolverine, what sorority were you in?!? I'm currently a freshman at U of Michigan finishing up my first year! How did you find the time to take all those premed science classes, deal with sorority events, AND have a part time job?! That sounds ridiculous!

Also, I'm going to say that girls are generally more academically oriented, whereas the fraternity brothers aren't as studious, plus most of the fraternity brothers I know are all in the business school/ easy major.

Nu chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi (fraternity) here, can't say I agree with your statement. Some brothers can be very studious.

What do you all you think about being in a social frat/sorority in college? I'm thinking about joining a frat next year, but I'm not completely convinced. I mean, sure, there are leadership opportunities and you meet new people easily, but it's the cost of being in one that's got me doubting. Most people in frats usually come from financially stable/rich families, whereas I don't really have that much money to be squandering. I estimate the cost to be around 700 dollars for four years.

Will being in a frat hurt me academically? Being a pre med student so I def want to focus on my studies.

Does being in a frat actually leave you with connections when you graduate?

For those of you that were in frats/sororities, did it hinder your pre med goals?

I wouldn't if I were you.

"Will being in a frat hurt me academically?"
It depends. If you know how to balance your time and set your priorities straight. It also depends on what kind of frat you're joining. There's this one at our college that says one of their aims is to make sure that their members do well academically and maintain good grades. I liked that a lot. Still, I didn't join. Not being proud or anything like that, but I know I can do that without joining them. There are other ways to help improve your grades and stuff. Group studies with friends or classmates I'm comfortable with is one thing. Consulting with my teacher when I don't understand a lesson is another. The Learning Resource Center is a help, too. Stuff like that.

You said you want to focus on your studies, then focus on your studies. :) I don't know how it will be joining a frat, but I do know that it takes some of your time. I'm not saying that you should spend all your time studying or doing academic stuff, but I think you can spend some of your time doing other stuff you like to do, not necessarily joining a frat. I used to have lots of activities and joined lots of organizations when I was in high school. Now that I'm in college, I spend more time on my studies and only join one or two extracurriculars that focus on the hobbies I really love (dancing and volleyball).

"Does being in a frat actually leave you with connections when you graduate?"
I was told that connections you have in a frat continue after graduation, that you can help each other out and all that. That's nice. I like it. But I know I can have "connections" even without joining a fraternity/sorority. :)
There are lots of successful professionals out there who are successful even without having had joined a frat for connections.

I have nothing against fraternities/sororities as long as they don't get out of hand. Join if you want to, but make sure you know what they're about and what they expect from you. Also remember that not all personalities are fit for fraternities/sororities. Not because they're not "worthy" to join but because they're the kind of people who are little more "independent" and "free-spirited". They want to move and do things their way without question. That's what someone told me when I asked the question myself. (I'm not saying that those joining in frats are not independent or that the members are in a box or stuff like that, okay. Just that there are personalities fit for fraternities and personalities that are fit to stand on their own, though with family and friends to support them.)

To conclude, whatever you decide, just remember that you can have fun in college, you can make friends and be sociable and not be a "library hermit" even without joining. :) Focus on your priorities and don't let taunts from other people get in the way. Studying and trying to do your best academically is not a sign of a nerd but a sign of a serious student. It's the reason why you're in college in the first place. Of course, make sure you balance your time and do stuff not related to studying once in a while. Enjoy college! :D

Peace out. :luck: