Undergrad from abroad and a stay at home mom..wondering about medschool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrAzYkIdO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright.

I migrated to USA almost 2 years ago when i got married,
I have an undergrad from my country in Computer science with a very low GPA i am glad i graduated.
the low GPA is becuase i realized i didn't have passion for olving math problem and sitting on computer for hours and hours looking at a language foriegn to humans.
Simple thing i hated it. My gpa is 2.8.. i dont have science course wrk at all only mathematics and pure CS.

SO now i want to pursue medicine as i feel its much more me. I love working with peoiple and i love healing and helping. Being more into spirituality i find it really sacred and Gods gift to be able to do the miraculous job.

Well aware of the amount of studying that needs to be done. Stil i need advice as to what i shd do or if i even have a shot with this low GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Do some shadowing of physicians to see if this is really what you want. Long term clinical volunteering is a must for the application anyway. And you will have to be able to talk about WHY medicine in your interviews.

2. I would guess that your best bet would be to apply DO since they have grade replacement. You will want to retake some of your worst courses. Hopefully, you have a few F's in there, instead of all B- as it will be a slow slow process if it is all B-. There's a grade calculator around somewhere, but you can easily make one in Excel.

3. As an applicant with lower stats, you are going to have to seriously consider relocation. Assess whether you are able to consider that and how your marriage is doing since depending on your immigration status, you may be in deep trouble if your marriage goes south. You will also need to be a permanent resident in order to qualify for federal funding.

4. You need to get your transcripts evaluated to see where you actually stand GPAwise - AMCAS probably has advice about this - call them on the phone.

5. It will be best to take your pre-reqs at a 4 year university if possible to demonstrate your new ability to do really well. Start by taking your replacement classes and getting A's. Do not take more than one class at a time if you are working as well - you absolutely need to create a new, spotless academic you. :)

Good luck!

1. Do some shadowing of physicians to see if this is really what you want. Long term clinical volunteering is a must for the application anyway. And you will have to be able to talk about WHY medicine in your interviews.

2. I would guess that your best bet would be to apply DO since they have grade replacement. You will want to retake some of your worst courses. Hopefully, you have a few F's in there, instead of all B- as it will be a slow slow process if it is all B-. There's a grade calculator around somewhere, but you can easily make one in Excel.

3. As an applicant with lower stats, you are going to have to seriously consider relocation. Assess whether you are able to consider that and how your marriage is doing since depending on your immigration status, you may be in deep trouble if your marriage goes south. You will also need to be a permanent resident in order to qualify for federal funding.

4. You need to get your transcripts evaluated to see where you actually stand GPAwise - AMCAS probably has advice about this - call them on the phone.

5. It will be best to take your pre-reqs at a 4 year university if possible to demonstrate your new ability to do really well. Start by taking your replacement classes and getting A's. Do not take more than one class at a time if you are working as well - you absolutely need to create a new, spotless academic you. :)

Good luck!
My advice will differ a little from the previous poster. As a graduate of a foreign college, those grades (according to the rules published by AMCAS) cannot be verified on the AMCAS transcript for applying to U.S. allopathic (M.D.) programs. This is not the case for osteopathic (D.O.) programs. AMCAS will not evaluate foreign undergraduate grades. That I can assure you of.

I think in your case there's no getting out of doing an undergraduate degree in the U.S. In fact, it will only be to your advantage. Check specifically if AMCAS requires you to list achievement in a foreign undergraduate degree. When I applied five years ago with a foreign undergraduate degree, AMCAS did not. Good luck.

Thanks for the better info, Scottish Chap.

I just did this in reverse - US undergrad for Canadian medical schools. The verbiage on school websites implied that I would have great difficulty counting my US coursework towards admission and would be required to supply week-by-week syllabi for all of my courses etc. This turned out to be overinflated and I seem to have acquired an overcasual attitude to the difficulties involved.

Anyway - to the OP, in many ways, it's great news that you need a completely new bachelor's degree. You have a fresh new perfect GPA. :) It certainly is a long road towards medical school, though.