Undergrad future applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vrach

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my third year and I will be graduating in Spring 2011 (though I might be able to graduate a semester earlier).

My current overall GPA is a 3.10 and I have not yet taken the MCAT. I still have 3 more semesters to go.
Major:Biology
My main bad courses were the Organic chemistry classes in which I got a C and also I got a D in inorganic which is accepted by my major but I am planning on retaking it. However, I have had great grades (A's) in my cell biology, microbiology, biochemistry, and intro biology classes. I have a B in genetics. In physics I have a B and I still have to take physics 2. I had a C in computer science but I go to one of the top engineering schools in US and that course was required and was hard.

Will be taking the MCAT either end of May or beginning of June in 2010.

I have 150+ shadowing hours at a private doctor's office as well as 50+ hours at a hospital.

I am president of Russian club and I am on the board of AMSA.

I am also considering a minor in Spanish.

I already know whom I will ask for my recommendations and those professors and doctors know me very well. I will have no problem with that.

What will I need to get on the MCAT to have a shot at Medical School?

Are my chances ok with my grades? Any comments on how to be a more competitive applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

The low GPA might make things a bit harder for you, but in no way will you have zero shot of getting in. Just work really hard to get A's all this year. Also, I'd retake gchem in the spring so that the admissions committees can see that you can handle it.

As far as the MCAT, 30+ is like the magic number it seems for medical schools, but you should just aim to do your best.

Do you have any volunteering experiences?

The low GPA might make things a bit harder for you, but in no way will you have zero shot of getting in. Just work really hard to get A's all this year. Also, I'd retake gchem in the spring so that the admissions committees can see that you can handle it.

As far as the MCAT, 30+ is like the magic number it seems for medical schools, but you should just aim to do your best.

Do you have any volunteering experiences?

Not too much (I have lots of non-medical volunteering for the local church organization) but I am going to do some medical volunteering this christmas break.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not too much (I have lots of non-medical volunteering for the local church organization) but I am going to do some medical volunteering this christmas break.

Don't write off non-medical volunteering. It's quite important. But adding in that medical volunteering should help as well.

Just keep up the involvement, work hard on those grades, and study hard for the MCAT. This is a tolling process, and it's up to you to stay motivated through it all. Trust me, you don't want to feel like you could have done something better had you just tried a little harder.

Best of luck!

Considering how low your GPA is now, I think you'll need all of four years if not more to bring it up as high as possible before applying. Keep in mind that 3.65 is the median GPA for those accepted to MD programs. With two more years of straight A coursework, your GPA could rise to 3.5 from where it is now. Then an MCAT score of 32 would make you reasonably competitive for less-selective med schools.

If your grades aren't as good as they need to be for MD schools, DO schools are another way to become a physician and they are more forgiving of past academic difficulty. The median for those accepted to DO schools is 3.45. Their median MCAT score is 25.5. Their application service doesn't include the first grade if you repeat the class, so retaking the D in Chem could raise your application GPA nicely if you can get an A the second time.

considering how low your gpa is now, i think you'll need all of four years if not more to bring it up as high as possible before applying. Keep in mind that 3.65 is the median gpa for those accepted to md programs. With two more years of straight a coursework, your gpa could rise to 3.5 from where it is now. Then an mcat score of 32 would make you reasonably competitive for less-selective med schools.

If your grades aren't as good as they need to be for md schools, do schools are another way to become a physician and they are more forgiving of past academic difficulty. The median for those accepted to do schools is 3.45. Their median mcat score is 25.5. Their application service doesn't include the first grade if you repeat the class, so retaking the d in chem could raise your application gpa nicely if you can get an a the second time.

+1