Undergrad GPA VS. Dental School GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a correlation between undergraduate GPA and dental school GPA.

I guess for those of you in dental school is you GPA higher, the same, lower than your GPA in undergrad. (If comfortable could you post numbers.)

I have not applied to dental school, yet.

THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

no, there isn't a correlation. People who were mediocre in undergrad are doing great now in dental school, and people who had awesome stats coming in are struggling in some areas.

maybe there's a correlation between NDBE Part I and DAT, but who knows.

CJWolf said:
no, there isn't a correlation. People who were mediocre in undergrad are doing great now in dental school, and people who had awesome stats coming in are struggling in some areas.

Your statement still implies a correlation, albeit a negative one.

I believe there is a small amount of correlation, but many people's study habits do change (for better or worse) when they get to dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just saying it doesn't matter. People who did great in undergrad and people who didn't do so so well are both in the top of the class whereas others who might be expected to be in the top of the class aren't.

I think it's all about motivation and study habits. Someone wanting to be a General Dentist isn't necessarily going to bust their ass to get an A when they can coast by with a B.

Who knows, I think it's all about what you want to do with your time in school and your determination.

I'll anwser the question for the poor guy
Undergrad, 4 year liberal arts college, majored in Biology GPA 3.0
Dental School, entering 4th year, GPA 3.55
College was rough for me and many of my classmates.....graduating class was only 250 and 25 of the 25 people that applied to dental/med school all got in. College science stuff was brutal, made dental school much easier. Hope this helps, everyone has a unique situation though