Quantcast

Undergrad GPA vs Grad GPA ratio options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbspftw

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi,

I'm a senior in a unique program at my college where I have finished my understand B.S in Biology, and M.S in Biological Informatics all in four years. So, I'll be applying to medical school after senior year, with both my GPAs. At my school, one can also transfer credits between grad and undergrad as long as requirements for both are being fulfilled.

I've taken a lot of science classes in undergrad, and only few in grad, but I'd really like to boost my undergrad science GPA, so was planning on shuffling off all of my bad grades to "grad transcript", and good grades from grad transcript that would fulfill undergrad requirements. I'm wondering which looks better, a 3.6+ undergrad GPA and a near perfect grad GPA, or a 3.75+ uGPA and lower grad GPA.

Thoughts?

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A 3.6 GPA is slightly below average but still competitive for MD schools. Honestly, I would try to have them both as close to each other as possible, provided they'll both be 3.7 or better.

sbspftw

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A 3.6 GPA is slightly below average but still competitive for MD schools. Honestly, I would try to have them both as close to each other as possible, provided they'll both be 3.7 or better.

So, actually I just calculated grades, and with all of my good undergrad qualifiable grades on my UG transcript, my UG GPA would be around a 3.75, and my grad would be a 3.58 (assuming that all those shuffled units from my grad transcript will be replaced with Bs). I don't know how this looks. The thing is my UG has a lot more units so it can actually take a B+ or B without having that much of an effect, which is why even those best grades from grad is transferred to undergrad, my GPA can still be high. However, a few Bs to my grad transcript hits it hard since it's only 45 units.

Thoughts?