Undergrad gpa vs. Grad gpa !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stars21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my undergrad gpa is low (cum = 3.0 and science 3.3) and I was thinking of taking either post-bac classes or attending masters program. I was wondering which GPA does med school admission committee look more into (UD or Grad)? And will taking either program help me pass the first screening?

I live in NYC, so any programs that would help me get into med school will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard and read, i believe Med Schools hold the Undergraduate GPA in higher regard.

I'm not certain why, or if i'm totally correct.

I would also like to see some of the responses for this question.

They always care more about undergrad. A post-bac would be preferred to grad school, so I would look that way unless you have a strong reason to do a Masters (e.g. scholarship)

Grad school can be useful in showing a trend, but the overall undergrad GPA will be what gets you screened out of interviews, so any chance you get to improve that would be useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only type of masters degree where the GPA is regarded that will help you get into allopathic med schools is the Special Masters Program, specifically designed to help offset a low undergrad GPA. It's sort of a last ditch effort to prove you have what it takes when more classwork can't raise your GPA significantly. You can read more about it in SDN's Postbaccalaureate Forum. The drawback of planning on this is that you need a good MCAT score to qualify for entrance.

I dunno if I'd say the SMP is the only time your grad GPA really counts. My grad GPA came up several times in interviews.

Certainly, a good grad school GPA is looked on positively, especiallly if it is heavy in science. But a 4.0 in grad school won't compensate for a 3.0 undergrad GPA.

Thanks a lot guys. I know more than anything I need to improve my undergrad gpa...Thanks again for all your comments...by the way I also looked into the SMP's...I feel like this a good way of showing med school that I can DO med school...what do you guys think about SMP's ... do you think If I do good in this program I'll be able to show med school any promise with the undergrad low GPA that I have??

To get into the SMP, you'll need a good MCAT score before you apply. Once you are in, you are taking a high-cost gamble that you can out-perform most of the other folks in the class. If your performance is meh, you lose. If you are average, you have a higher chance of a DO acceptance than MD. Perform brilliantly, and if all the other expected elements of your application are in place, you have a decent chance of an MD acceptance (but not a guarantee). Read the Postbaccalaureate Forum widely to gain an in-depth understanding of the chances of success and variations of the different programs.

to get into the smp, you'll need a good mcat score before you apply. Once you are in, you are taking a high-cost gamble that you can out-perform most of the other folks in the class. If your performance is meh, you lose. If you are average, you have a higher chance of a do acceptance than md. Perform brilliantly, and if all the other expected elements of your application are in place, you have a decent chance of an md acceptance (but not a guarantee). Read the postbaccalaureate forum widely to gain an in-depth understanding of the chances of success and variations of the different programs.

+1