undergrad & grad school grades issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happygrl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my story:
I graduated with a 3.6 from UC Irvine, but failed out of grad school after my first year due to unexpected events beyond my control (I did all I could despite the circumstances, but ended up .02 away from passing). A couple years later, after some soul searching and more work/life experience, I've decided to go into medicine.

I am currently applying to post-bac programs to fulfill my pre-reqs. But given the above grades, in the end, is a post-bac still worth it? In other words, do I even stand a chance at med school given what happened in grad school? What can I do to improve my chances? If it helps, I have experience in cardiovascular health and have done research in public health.

I realize that adcoms will see failing out of grad school as a red flag, so I know it will be a tough road and that my grades aren't going away regardless what happens after. I am just hoping that my work/life experience so far + doing well at a post-bac will demonstrate that I am capable of med school and serious about becoming a doctor. Thoughts?

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Happygrl, it makes me sad to see you :-(.

This being said - what has changed during your soul searching? If there has been a strong change and things are much different (can range anywhere from priorities to study habits to overall stability), do you envision having a mind fit enough to enter back into the game?

Things can change - if you feel different than you did in grad school and find a strong program, it may be an entirely different ballgame than it was before. Our history, contrary to popular belief, has a fairly immeasurable effect on our future. You can do anything you set your mind to with the right stride (trust me, you can!)

Starting anew may be the confidence booster you're looking for. Who knows what kind of grades you're truly capable of if you want to give it a second shot? Only one way to find out. Good luck!

-Shaun