Undergrad Help

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Disco Stu, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Junior Member

Hello everyone. I was very happy to find a bulletin board service like this.

I attend Baylor University in Texas. I am a senior with a year and a half till I graduate. I am an economics major (Don't know why, but I liked it). But, I want to attend one of the three dental schools here in Texas. I have taken almost all of the prerequisite classes for dental school. One more upper level chemistry and one biology to go.

Anyway, here is my dilemma. My overall GPA isn't all that great, 2.9-3.1 range. But my sciences are weak. I'd say 2.5-2.7 range. The thing is is that I am awful at Physics; made a D in the first Physics Course and made a B the second time I retook that class. Last semester, I took the second physics course and made a D :mad: Should I retake that course? I know that physics is not required on the DAT, but should I do it over for admission's sake. I really hate physics.I also made a D in genetics and retook it and made a C. Is there hope for me? I am not the smartest student, perse, but work really hard.

Secondly, what other advice do you have for me to get into dental school? Here is what I've got going for me: I plan on taking a Kaplan prep course next semester. My father is a CDT dental technician and has taught me some basics like waxing and what not and I plan on learning more. I have lined up a job as a dental office clerk with perks of shadowing one of the associate dentists for next semester. I like working with my hands and building model cars. I volunteered 100+ hours mentoring with at risk/low income children and tutoring adults to get their GED. My cousin is a alumnus of one of the dental school here in Texas (Baylor College of Dentistry.)

Here are some knocks against me. I am afraid of standardize test even when I study months prior to the exam. My grades are not wonderful. Sometimes, I get too busy with undergrad stuff to worry about the entrance stuff. I haven't yet written a mission statement, or anything of the sort.

What do you think my chances are of getting in? What advice can you give me?

Thanks for your time. :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Beagle

Beagle Meet BEAGLE

Hello
    I say--don't give up! You'll get your chance. And as for physics--do retake it if you made a D. Physics is a prerequesite for entry into Dental school. A "D" is not passing...
    As far as Genetics and retaking it after getting a "D"---almost everyone has their bad times during undergrad and I'm sure the dental committee understands when you explain it to them during your interview.
    I can totally relate to you when you say you are frightened of standardized tests! I am also very scared and I will be studying a whole year for hte DATS. I did HORRIBLY on my SAT's and GRE's ...I studied, but still...I did BAD! So--I feel that no matter how hard I study for the DAT's, I will not do well.
    Ok, enough babbling...goodluck and you'll do fine!

4. Dr. Pedo

Dr. Pedo Senior Member

Stu-

Rather than trying to mislead you---I'll simply be honest.

The truth of the matter is... science is the name of the game. Whether you are going into Medicine or Dental Medicine----it is PREMO important. A--- D in genetics, A---D in physics, D in physics II is tough to explain!! Especially since they are occurring late in your college studies. These courses are required because the admission's committee needs a way to weed-out those individuals that won't make it through dental school. A 2.5-2.8 gpa in science will scare the heck out of most dental schools. Remember they are also investing in you, when they give you a seat. They can't afford to have people dropping out or not making the cut.

Dental schools have to be leary of people that are struggling in sciences. I realize standardized tests scare you----but remember dental school is full of them. The National Dental Boards I and II are standarized and make the DAT, SAT, ACT, GRE etc... look like child's play. What is more difficult is the course-load. You aren't taking a mere 15-17 hrs like college----but 31 hrs of nearly pure science in ONE semester.

I'm not trying to be harsh, just realistic. These are the facts. I truly believe with enough persistence anything is possible. It sounds like you have a good plan of how to accomplish your dream----so I say go for it. But it is imperative that you take phys. II over and don't just get a C----shoot for a B or A. They need to see that you can handle a tough class and perform well in it. The final step is to do incredible on the DAT. This will help you---by showing that although some course in college gave you problems---you handled the DAT. A min. of 19/19 should alleviate "some" of your GPA burden. Lastly, I think by confronting your grades in some of those classes, whether it be in your personal statement or interview, could only be benefical. Something to the effect of, "It took me awhile to find my calling in life----but once I found it, I put my head to the grind-stone and started getting great grades. I think my DAT score proves I'm capable of handling the courses the Dental Association deems important...." Or something like that.

Good luck and I wish you the best,

R.R.B