Undergrad in need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EHCAT4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a question that I am not sure what to do with. I am currently a junior in a very rigorous Athletic Training program. My goal has been to pursue my DPT and possibly a PhD in neurology after I finish undergrad. I have observed in a lot of different PT/AT settings and am currently at an outpatient PT clinic for my clinical placement this semester. Seeing as my senior year is right around the corner I have been getting serious about looking at the graduate schools I want to apply to. I have hit a snag in my plan though. I recently had the opportunity to work with a DO, which I previously honestly had little to no understanding of, and he discussed a lot of the info about the field. Seeing that my major is AT and seeing what my goals are for my future, I realized my interest has been peaked. This is definitely not the best time for me to realize something such as this, but I cannot shake the interest that has peaked in me. Does anyone have any advice on anything with my situation. I have not looked at any MCAT info as I've been focused on the GRE. I have not had organic chem or biochem, but have the rest of the pre reqs for most schools, but just feel like I could not be prepared for the MCAT in time. I am an honor student at my institution and have some experiences such as shadowing surgeons at Duke (which I am doing again this summer) so I have some good connections with some high standing folks I could get info from. It also is not like I am completely deserting my DPT pursuit, but just wanted to see what some would say about my situation. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I have a question that I am not sure what to do with. I am currently a junior in a very rigorous Athletic Training program. My goal has been to pursue my DPT and possibly a PhD in neurology after I finish undergrad. I have observed in a lot of different PT/AT settings and am currently at an outpatient PT clinic for my clinical placement this semester. Seeing as my senior year is right around the corner I have been getting serious about looking at the graduate schools I want to apply to. I have hit a snag in my plan though. I recently had the opportunity to work with a DO, which I previously honestly had little to no understanding of, and he discussed a lot of the info about the field. Seeing that my major is AT and seeing what my goals are for my future, I realized my interest has been peaked. This is definitely not the best time for me to realize something such as this, but I cannot shake the interest that has peaked in me. Does anyone have any advice on anything with my situation. I have not looked at any MCAT info as I've been focused on the GRE. I have not had organic chem or biochem, but have the rest of the pre reqs for most schools, but just feel like I could not be prepared for the MCAT in time. I am an honor student at my institution and have some experiences such as shadowing surgeons at Duke (which I am doing again this summer) so I have some good connections with some high standing folks I could get info from. It also is not like I am completely deserting my DPT pursuit, but just wanted to see what some would say about my situation. Thank you all!
See if you can shadow a variety of D.O.'s. Continue to shadow the one you already have. There is no greater way to actually see what a future looks like until you see people living your future. Osteopathic medicine is no small decision, but I have the impression that you will excel in whatever is the best fit for you. If you decide that this is the way you want to spend your future, you can fill in the gaps by taking the prerequisites and preparing for MCAT. Don't rush this decision. You still have time to decide.

When you say you wouldn't be prepared for the MCAT, "in time," what are you referring to? You have your whole life ahead of you; getting into medical school is a marathon, not a sprint. If you decide that medicine is what you really want to do, then take the rest of your pre reqs, prepare for the MCAT, and become the best doctor you can be. Take as much time as you need. Average age for matriculants is something like ~25.
Good luck to you OP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately I only met the DO and will not be able to shadow him due to my clinical schedule at the PT clinic (which I feel I should point out that I am enjoying thoroughly). I guess what I meant when I said "in time" I was thinking in terms of having everything ready to go by the time I finish up undergrad. See that is the situation with my standing in regards to going on to DPT when I finish. Everything is in order with the exception of graduating, taking the GRE, and passing my BOC for my athletic training credential. I understand that figuring out what I want to do is no small task. I am a very analytical and calculated person and I do not jump into things. My sole purpose for choosing AT was so I could have a good path to PT as I knew I would get a lot of hands on experience and I have truly enjoyed everything I have experienced. This is such a new interest that it feels strange to think about pursuing it at this point, but it is just so interesting. I guess if all else fails and I do get my DPT and want to go on I could go to DO school after working for a few years. My classmates already joke and say I am going to go to school until I'm 50 anyway because of my interests in clinical research :laugh:.

Your situation sounds quite similar to mine last year. I graduated with an Exercise Science degree (pre-PT track), but ended up making the switch to pre-med during my Winter quarter of my senior year. The only classes that I needed to take after graduating were the Orgo series and Biochem. I ended up taking the Orgo series over the summer and then Biochem in the Fall. Once I made the switch, I haven't looked back. It took me a few months to fully make the transition because I did not want to do so without being 100% sure. Since then, I have been doing quite a bit of research on DOs, MCAT and med school in general. With that being said, I think that you should look into it more so that you can get a better understanding of what you may or may not be getting yourself into.

Good luck!

You're in a great spot--haven't decided one way or the other yet. It sounds like you have an opportunity for good exposure. Although I ended up spending time with a D.O. prior to applying to med school and it really opened my eyes to a side of medicine that I hadn't considered. Of course, either the MD or DO route could make use of what you know from athletic training. By all means, when you are looking into medicine, spend some real quality time with physicians. Spend an entire day with them if possible. Let them know that you want to see exactly what life is like in their shoes. Nothing can prepare you more than seeing what it is like in the trenches everyday. And if you did do a DPT and then decided on med school, the only thing you'd be losing out on is time and money. There are lots of non-traditional students who choose to go into medicine as a second or third career, but I'd say there can be some specific challenges for them.

Your situation sounds quite similar to mine last year. I graduated with an Exercise Science degree (pre-PT track), but ended up making the switch to pre-med during my Winter quarter of my senior year. The only classes that I needed to take after graduating were the Orgo series and Biochem. I ended up taking the Orgo series over the summer and then Biochem in the Fall. Once I made the switch, I haven't looked back. It took me a few months to fully make the transition because I did not want to do so without being 100% sure. Since then, I have been doing quite a bit of research on DOs, MCAT and med school in general. With that being said, I think that you should look into it more so that you can get a better understanding of what you may or may not be getting yourself into.

Good luck!

I'm glad to know someone is in a similar situation as me. So how did the entire transition happen after undergrad in regards to taking the MCAT and applying during the appropriate cycle? I am really trying to build a timeline of events if the choice is made to pursue DO instead of DPT. Thanks!

I am actually studying for the MCAT right now and will be taking it on May 13th, unless I have to push it back. That means I'll get my scores on June 13th and will still be considered "early," as the cycle starts on June 1st.

I would be surprised if any colleges near you offered the Orgo series over the summer, so you may want to either A) take it over a year long period, as usual B) check out http://online.une.edu. They offer online courses that are OK for med school apps (I would double check with the specific schools that you are interested in, just incase)
Biochem isn't necessarily required for med schools, but it would be a good idea to take it as it it heavily emphasized on the MCAT. You may need to take a gap year after graduating to fulfill these requirements, so that you can be fully prepared for the MCAT.

If you come up with more questions as you make the transition, feel free to PM me!