Undergrad Institution vs New School (AuD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

White Noise

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is it unwise to attend an AuD program from the same institution you received your undergraduate degree from? I know if your planning on working in academia it's not a good idea to attend the same institution. However, I'm not sure if I will ever be able to teach considering I'm pursuing an AuD and not a PhD (though I would like to teach some day). Do you believe future employers would look down on an applicant who has attended the same institution for both their graduate and undergraduate studies?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so, if a school has a great graduate program why wouldn't you want to attend even if you spent the last 4yrs there.

Morgie, thank you for the advice. At the program I'm thinking of attending, eight of the nine AuD students admitted received their undergrad degrees from the same school. It appears that programs are more comfortable accepting applicants from their own departments (since they already know them). I have no problem with attending the same institution for graduate school, but it seems odd to have a doctorate degree and only have attended one public university in the course of eight years. I simply don't want my options later in life to be limited because I choose to attend the same school throughout my academic career. If anyone has more advice on the subject, it would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's rare for PhD students to attend the same school for their graduate program as they did for their undergraduate program, mainly due to risk of academic stagnation. I always thought this was ridiculous. If you like the school and you meet the admission requirements, then who cares where you went for undergrad?

As for professional degrees, it's very common for people to stay in the same school they went to undergrad in. I think it's only natural for speech and audiology programs since the faculty who teach the undergraduate courses often teach the grad level courses so they know their students and the students know them.

I myself have 3 degrees (including my AuD) from the same institution and have no issues with it or about it.

Go where you feel comfortable going and forget what others may think or say. You are paying for the education, you make the decisions.

Thank you EarDoc for taking the time to help me with my big decision. Confused and bewildered students like me would be forever lost if it wasn’t for the kind people who respond to our questions on this forum.

Anytime!

Just remember no matter what school you graduate from, you still have the same letters after your name. What really matters is how well you treat your patients.