undergrad institution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mansoor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is your undergrad college? I go to a state school in New York (stony brook) and have a 3.9+. I am just wondering if a 3.9 in a state school like mine is equivalent to a much lower GPA in, say, Brown or something. Does it make a world of difference in med school apps, or am i worrying too much about it?

Members don't see this ad.

i know 2 things for a fact
1-it's A LOT tougher to get 3.9 from a SUNY than from say columbia or cornell (due to the ridiculous grade inflation there)
2-you WILL nevertheless be discriminated against at schools like Harvard & Yale (which only like ivy kids for the most part)

but so long as you don't just apply to the top top schools, with a gpa like that, i certainly wouldn't worry too much :)

and btw, i'm not by any means implying that you can't get into Harvard or whatnot from a SUNY, just that you'll have to prove yourself much much more so than if you were to attend a more prestigious undergrad school (i.e., gpa alone, even a 4.0 just won't cut it).

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Assassin:
•i know 2 things for a fact
1-it's A LOT tougher to get 3.9 from a SUNY than from say columbia or cornell (due to the ridiculous grade inflation there)
2-you WILL nevertheless be discriminated against at schools like Harvard & Yale (which only like ivy kids for the most part)•••••Harvard is not too bad. They accept a significant number of non-Ivy Leaguers. Columbia is a different story, however. Just look at their facebook... Harvard, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, Harvard, Penn, Harvard, Columbia... Makes me sick.