Undergrad jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the jobs you guys have or have had while in college (medical or non-medical)?

Members don't see this ad.

worked in a lab.

I volunteered on and off in several hospital units including the er for the last 3 years or so, volunteered for 2 years as an emt, and will be starting to volunteer as a firefighter/emt this summer.

I also worked as a phlebotomist for 6 months, family practice doc's office for 6 months, lab for almost 2 years(which I plan to continue until med school), and I spent 2 months as a cashier/bagger. I have to admit that I truly suck at non-scientifically/medically related jobs...hopefully that trend won't continue when I'm a firefighter:eek: :laugh: .

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked as a nursing aide for over a year, some experience in wood turning, currently work as a waiter and cook part time, and I volunteer once a week.

Worked construction building houses two summers. Worked for a sub-contractor laying tile one summer. Did my own carpentry with a friend one summer. I was pretty surprised how many interviewers were interested in talking about the construction work I had done. Tutored and graded for professors during school year.

I worked as a cashier and manager at a natural foods store during high school and my first year of college. I then worked as a librarian in my university's Math Library (believe it or not--an entire library dedicated to math) for one school year. Then I got a job as a supplement and nutrition consultant at a natural health store (my only semi-medically related job...in the natural health field at least) for two years. I also worked as a part-time nanny for 4 summers as well as a temp worker in the testing and human resources departments of my local school district. All of my allopathic medical experience came from volunteering, doing clinical research, and shadowing docs.

Do you mean during the school year? If so I washed athletic laundry and ran balls for the girls and guys soccer games. Summers were a little less interesting, what with research and directing patient transport/answering phones in a hospital. Running sidelines for soccer is surprisingly therapeutic. :) Oh, and I bartended briefly in england. That was cool.

I waited tables, worked in the library, and did office work for a law firm (at different times throughout college--not all at the same time). Plus I've been volunteering for the past four years. Oh yeah, I also babysit and tutor.

I work at our library now. I've done a ton of construction work, worked in a grocery store and graded papers on campus. I think working on campus is by far the best way to go unless you can get a good job in research or something medically related.

year 1: herbarium assistant, programming
summer: selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door (2 weeks), computer/data entry
year 2: computer support tech.
summer: programming
year 3: computer support tech.
summer: research fellowship, waitress
year 4: research fellowship

I also worked for a medical software company during the sumer between 1st and 2nd year of med school.

oh lord...i usually had 2 or 3 jobs at a time!

i worked in my dorm's office (night shifts), worked as a housecleaner, did yardwork/minor construction, university reasearch lab (my undergrad during school, then another one durning the summer), and a private lab, and taught freshman biology lab. i've also been a volunteer emt/rescue squad member for 3 years (the volunteer emts respond to 911 calls in my county). while i was doing some post-bacc stuff after i graduated, i worked 30-40 hours a week at the clinical research center that i'm now full-time at. i was a busy girl, but i was also paying my own way. so it all worked out.

I was the queen of all TAs - I TA'ed a class every semester during school for the last three years(mostly engineering stuff). Getting paid for office hours when no one showed up was a nice job perk.

During the summers I was a nursing assistant, did some minor chemE research, etc. I've also just finished a year of full time volunteer work at a clinic - nothing like an extra year to pad the resume a bit!

I work at a day care center as a 'professonal staff sub' when the teachers are unavailable.

I also volunteer as a crisis counselor, and a a development coordinator for the crisis center (writing grants/managing grant team/budget work, etc).

oh yeah, forgot about the 2 yrs. volunteering as an emt. but that wasn't work, that was fun. :)

i worked for 2 major department stores (i hate retail now), an optical store (family business), a summer at an antique store, in a deli (until i cut my fingers in the meat slicer, ouch!) and now work as an EMT in an ER where i have been the past year. i would have to say this current job is by far my favorite! and sweet tea, i am paying my own way too, keeps us busy doesn't it?

My jobs...
1st year-substitute taught and tutored Hebrew
2nd and 3rd year- computer tech support at my University (also while doing summer school...that wasn't fun).

Now this year (I've graduated) I'm working as an EMT for a private ambulance company in Chicago.

So far: clerking at a law firm during summer and winter breaks, and then writing/English tutoring, writing for a website, grading chem homework, working in the alumni fundraising office, and lab work during the school year (but never more than 3 of those at a time). I currently only have 1 paying job (tutoring) because my lab job is awesome enough that I don't mind not getting paid for it. :)

cashier, lab assistant, car detailing, orderly

I wokred in the training room for stanford last summer. That was a lot of fun. I got to see carson palmer play!

I'm a lab assistant in our environmental studies dept, a chemistry and calculus tutor (unpaid), and a resident assistant.

Plus, a being a BMB major should be a separate job in itself...;)

Year-round I taught a clarinet studio. During the summers I always picked up a job wherever I could find it - retail mostly. I also kept a volunteer committment at a hospital or school most of the time.

Most of the people I knew in college didn't have to have outside jobs - it's nice to see that I wasn't the only pre-med in the world that didn't get everything paid for!