Undergrad Junior applying next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pa8993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have any volunteering, or other activities?

Your GPA is grea but we can't say much without the MCAT. The Rutgers schools have MCAT averages at 32-33, so you want to get it as close to that as possible.

Yeah the service trips I went on are through a non profit organization on campus, along with volunteer activities through my schools biology society

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 3.86 and a 30, 31, or 32, you have a 78.3% chance of being accepted to at least one US allopathic medical school. If you score on the low end- 28-, your odds drop down to 61.9%. I strongly recommend having some domestic volunteering as well as your international stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
I am most likely shadowing at the hospital again over winter break as well as my primary doctor

The organization I am a part of

Last edited:
I am also very interested in applying to MD schools in Florida, any input on score ranges to be considered for OOS in Florida?

Sorry to be posting so much but I also forgot to mention that I am half Hispanic...according to the AAMC data this has a huge impact on acceptance. Is this really that true?

Not all Hispanics are considered to be underrepresented in medicine. Generally, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans are.

Yes, it has a huge impact on acceptance.

So does that mean it would only help me if I were Mexican or Puerto Rican?

Do you have any volunteering, or other activities?

Your GPA is grea but we can't say much without the MCAT. The Rutgers schools have MCAT averages at 32-33, so you want to get it as close to that as possible.

Assuming that I perform about a 30-32 range on the actual exam (just basing off of my practice so far), which of these schools would you think I had a good chance at? Which ones seem like reaches?

Rutgers
Robert Wood Johnson NJ
Thomas Jefferson
USF
Miami
FAU
FIU
FSU

(NJ resident, really hoping to get into Florida schools), any other suggested schools?

RWJ and NJMS are your best bets due to residency.

For Florida schools, Miami and USF are probably the best bet because they matriculate the most OOS people. For these schools you will really need to articulate your specific reasons though because nearly all of them favor IS (except Miami).If you get a 32 you will be in a decent position for all Florida schools. Also you forgot to include UCF and UF.

Members don't see this ad :)
RWJ and NJMS are your best bets due to residency.

For Florida schools, Miami and USF are probably the best bet because they matriculate the most OOS people. For these schools you will really need to articulate your specific reasons though because nearly all of them favor IS (except Miami).If you get a 32 you will be in a decent position for all Florida schools. Also you forgot to include UCF and UF.

How would I go about articulating this aside from personally just liking the state and climate? Also would CA schools (like UC San Diego) be reach schools ?

How would I go about articulating this aside from personally just liking the state and climate? Also would CA schools (like UC San Diego) be reach schools ?
CA schools tend to be "reaches" even for CA residents.
What under-served community do you represent?

Europeans are not considered under-represented in medicine. Language skills are always appreciated, though.
Okay, thank you that's what I was curious about. So even though I am "Hispanic" it won't really make that much of a difference?

Okay, thank you that's what I was curious about. So even though I am "Hispanic" it won't really make that much of a difference?
The purpose of identifying those from under-represented communities has to do with service to those communities. There is no evidence that Spaniards in the US suffer from a lack of medical care because of their ethnicity.

The purpose of identifying those from under-represented communities has to do with service to those communities. There is no evidence that Spaniards in the US suffer from a lack of medical care because of their ethnicity.

Thanks for the clarification! Are there any other schools that you think I would have a for sure chance? Does being in a PA program help in any way?

Thanks for the clarification! Are there any other schools that you think I would have a for sure chance? Does being in a PA program help in any way?
It probably won't hurt. Your chances are so dependent on your MCAT score that speculation on specific schools is premature.

It probably won't hurt. Your chances are so dependent on your MCAT score that speculation on specific schools is premature.

A University of Miami 3rd year student told me that it will be beneficial because it shows admissions that I was already commited to a life in medicine (how true this is I guess I wi find out!)

Anyone know if being in a PA program helps your chances at all?

Conversely, being in a 6-yr PA program could hurt you as you'll be seen as "jumping ship".
Do it anyway.
Sounds like you have what it takes and you are young enough that it makes sense.
Study hard to do well on MCAT.
I speak from the perspective of a longtime PA (more than a decade) who went back to medical school and am now a PGY1 resident.
I taught PAs in a few programs. One was a 5-yr direct from HS program like yours. Incidentally these students were my least favorite because they had zero life experience and had done nothing but school. Give me a combat veteran or an RN or RT any day and I will help them become a competent PA. Traditional students IMO are much better served to do traditional medical school and residency path.
Good luck.

Conversely, being in a 6-yr PA program could hurt you as you'll be seen as "jumping ship".
Do it anyway.
Sounds like you have what it takes and you are young enough that it makes sense.
Study hard to do well on MCAT.
I speak from the perspective of a longtime PA (more than a decade) who went back to medical school and am now a PGY1 resident.
I taught PAs in a few programs. One was a 5-yr direct from HS program like yours. Incidentally these students were my least favorite because they had zero life experience and had done nothing but school. Give me a combat veteran or an RN or RT any day and I will help them become a competent PA. Traditional students IMO are much better served to do traditional medical school and residency path.
Good luck.

Fortunately, my program is 3 years undergrad/3 years grad, so when I apply it will be before I have started the grad portion. Even though it seems that I have "jumped ship", it is more personally the decision that I sort of "settled" with PA and did not realize my full potential to go all the way until I made it to undergrad, so hopefully I will be able to relay this to adcoms

You will.
I had no physician mentors and really no parental guidance when I went to college. I did not know that I "had what it takes" to become a physician until I was doing the work as a PA. I graduated PA school at 26 and went back to med school at 37. Being a 40-yo resident is no cakewalk but I'm managing as well as my 25-yo colleagues
It will be easier and less expensive for you to go to med school first. Best wishes.

You will.
I had no physician mentors and really no parental guidance when I went to college. I did not know that I "had what it takes" to become a physician until I was doing the work as a PA. I graduated PA school at 26 and went back to med school at 37. Being a 40-yo resident is no cakewalk but I'm managing as well as my 25-yo colleagues
It will be easier and less expensive for you to go to med school first. Best wishes.

Thanks! What is the best way of going about showing them this? Is it something to incorporate into a personal statement?

Any tips for getting this point across to admissions?