1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Undergrad notes/books useful for Dschool?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by predentstud, Dec 13, 2008.

1. predentstud

2+ Year Member

Does anyone know if our undergraduate science notes and books will be helpful in dental school? I've asked a few of my friends in dental school and they all said no because you will get more books than you want and that I can just get rid of all my undergraduate stuff but I wanted to see what people's opinions are.

Thanks!

2. Jake8

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The stuff you get in D-school will be more intense and you will have more than you could possibly ever read. However I know at my under grad the undergrad biochem class used the same biochem book and teacher as the dental students so cases like this would be an exception.

3. wigglytooth

wigglytooth Assistant Wiggle-ator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your friends are right. You may want to hang on to that biochem or cell bio textbook, but even then you may not even look at it.

4. meowx3

meowx3 meow meow meow
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i've only bought a couple of the books "required" by my dental school, so i referred to my undergrad books a lot. i've used biochem, anatomy & physiology, immuno, micro, etc. . .all from undergrad. the only books i bought for dental school so far have been Netter's Head & Neck, normal Netter's, and the book for Evidence Based Dentistry (and that's just because our tests our open-book/open-notes.)

so i'd say yeah, save your undergrad books, unless you have to/really want to buy the d-school textbooks.

5. Here is how I would look at it if I were you. Every one of us learns differently. Different professor teach better than others. Different require you to buy their texts and others don't. Different professors text out of the required text while others don't. If you have classes where you don't have to purchase the required text, but still need to reference something you have your old notes and texts to look at along with WIKI (it helped me pass biochem). There is no harm to keep the books and notes. Just box them up and store them in the closet. If you need them, you know where to get them. If not, you can toss them after d-school. But, should you throw them away now, you can pretty much assure yourself that at some point you will wish you would have kept the notes and books. Murphy's laws always prevail.

6. predentstud

2+ Year Member

Thanks everyone! So I'm going to keep my biochem,anatomy,physiology,and microbiology notes/books then but is it safe to say gen chem/ochem/ wildlife biology notes can be tossed? I looked at the the class curriculum for my dschool and I did not think that those subjects would help me?? Thoughts?

7. yes, it is safe to say you can get rid of info not related to dental school to include the gen chem,ochem, and wildlife bio.