Undergrad Premed Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carbonfishbone

Eat, Sleep, Dream MCAT
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering your guy’s advice on the preferred schedule for Premed req.?

Freshman:
1 Year Bio
1 Year Chem
1 Year Calculus
Semester of Writting

Sophmore
1 Year O-Chem
1 Year Physics
Sememster of English/Writting

Junior/Senior
Physiology
Biochemistry
Genetics
Anatomy

Or something more spread out like:

Freshman:
1 Year Chem
1 Year Calculus
Semester of Writing and English

Sophmore
1 Year O-Chem
1 Year Biology
Sememster of English/Writting

Junior
1 Year Physics
Anatomy

Senior
Physiology
Biochemistry
Genetics

Your advice is welcomed. If you did something different and preferred it, please let me know. I am just trying to get an idea of my typical work load in college.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

why are you taking genetics, physiology, and anatomy?

oh, u don't need a year of calculus. if u want extra math that'll be useful, stats is an option. I never took that and understand enough of the stats after my epidemiology course, though.

carbonfishbone said:
Senior
Physiology
Biochemistry
Genetics

Just dont take Biochem and Genetics in the same semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry I meant physiology instead of anatomy for junior year.

I was considering taking genetics physiology and anatomy in order to prepare me for med school.

Also this is not a list of classes I WILL take, I am just trying to find the most stress free and helpful course load as a premed from veterans like you :p .

And as for math, it has always came easy to me so I will be trying to take as much math class as i have room for to boost my science GPA, so i will probably take more than 1 year calculus.

Ask some upperclassmen pre-meds at your own school. It's different at every school. General advice is to spread out the science classes so you're not taking too many at one time and to check out when the good profs are teaching. Having a good prof can make all the difference in bio/ochem/physics.

carbonfishbone said:
I am sorry I meant physiology instead of anatomy for junior year.

I was considering taking genetics physiology and anatomy in order to prepare me for med school.

Also this is not a list of classes I WILL take, I am just trying to find the most stress free and helpful course load as a premed from veterans like you :p .

And as for math, it has always came easy to me so I will be trying to take as much math class as i have room for to boost my science GPA, so i will probably take more than 1 year calculus.

just have fun and take what you want. get more out of college than a GPA. I'm an MS2, and most of the people in my class did not take physiology or anatomy during college and we all learned the material just fine. Genetics is not going to be useful for medical school. You'll learn enough genetics in ur regular bio classes. If u're a bio major, then u might need to take genetics. But don't be a bio major unless that's what u're interested in. again, take whatever u feel like taking and don't think that u need to take any more classes than the pre-reqs. :) ok, back to studying

Thanks guys for the advice. I guess what you are saying makes sense. But I have one question, I was under the impression the it is best to finish most of ur premed req by the end of your soph year, giving you more time to study for mcats and take advanced classes, is that impression wrong?

Also, what are some recomended classes that are not premed req. courses that would be useful on the mcat to achieve 35+ (I can dream can't I)

PS.. I will be a biopsychology major.

Um, on a side note- Will having already done research as a high schooler have any effect on Medical School admissions?

The Clinical Research I have completed are:

“Non-Operative Treatment of the Displaced Medial Epicondyle Fracture in Adolescents”

and

“Operative Treatment of the Displaced Medial Epicondyle Fracture in Adolescents”

With publications on both in Orthopaedic Journals, and having presented my research at orthopaedic conferences in Washington, DC regarding treatment of athletes vs. non-athletes.

Pre-Vet here but heres what I did... I think :)

Frosh:
1 yr Bio
core classes (soc, history, english, german, etc)

Soph:
1yr Chem
Micro
Botany
Misc core classes
TA bio labs

Junior:
1 yr Organic
1yr Physics
Genetics
Physiology
TA Bio labs/tutor

Senior:
Biochem
Evolutionary Biology
Ecology
Ecology field study
-----------------
Cell Bio
Plant Tax Field Study
Vertebrate Zoology
core classes
TA organic/bio labs

Super Senior
Experimental Biology
Electives

That schedule looks boring as all hell. Why don't you take a non bio/science course like economics, philosophy, history, etc? You will get burned out.

I am a big fan of the condensed schedule where you are done with pre-reqs after sophomore year. All of those hurdles will be out of the way and will be free to choose classes you want to take.

BrettBatchelor said:
I am a big fan of the condensed schedule where you are done with pre-reqs after sophomore year. All of those hurdles will be out of the way and will be free to choose classes you want to take.

I'm the same way

if u have publications, then u have publications. that'll help. doesn't matter when u did them, because they go on resumes, nonetheless. and yeah, i agree w/ everyone else. condensed schedules, get all pre-reqs out of way first couple years so u can get as many electives in as ur heart desires (cause u won't have another chance to take a lot of interesting courses).

carbonfishbone said:
Um, on a side note- Will having already done research as a high schooler have any effect on Medical School admissions?

The Clinical Research I have completed are:

“Non-Operative Treatment of the Displaced Medial Epicondyle Fracture in Adolescents”

and

“Operative Treatment of the Displaced Medial Epicondyle Fracture in Adolescents”

With publications on both in Orthopaedic Journals, and having presented my research at orthopaedic conferences in Washington, DC regarding treatment of athletes vs. non-athletes.

Thanks guys! This advice is awesome. While reading other posts, a question came up. If i study abroad my Jr. year, can i still take classes like biochem or physiology? Or would this be looked down upon?

If it is looked down upon, i would i fit these classes into my schedule? - I know USC requires biochem.-

Thanks

carbonfishbone said:
Thanks guys! This advice is awesome. While reading other posts, a question came up. If i study abroad my Jr. year, can i still take classes like biochem or physiology? Or would this be looked down upon?

If it is looked down upon, i would i fit these classes into my schedule? - I know USC requires biochem.-

Thanks

if u want biochem for applying to certain med schools, go for it. but forget physiology unless u're in love w/ the subject :) take philosophy or something else instead of that :) improve critical thinking skills, expand ur horizons in some other direction. i wish i had taken philosophy actually. You'll learn more than enough physiology in medical school.

Rendar5 said:
why are you taking genetics, physiology, and anatomy?

oh, u don't need a year of calculus. if u want extra math that'll be useful, stats is an option. I never took that and understand enough of the stats after my epidemiology course, though.

I think genetics is starting to become a prereq - (at least it is for the U of N)

I am actually thinking about becoming a Biopsychology major. I love psychology and I love bio, so its like a match in heaven.

If I took Calc I & II at my local community college, would it be recomended that I take physics freshman year? If so calc based or non calc?

Or should i retake calc in a 4-year college?